Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tranny cooler question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbelgum, Oct 6, 2015.

1. rbelgum

rbelgum

hello
    I'm putting a chevy six in a 52 international with an 350 automatic transmission, right now i have a aluminum radiator with no hook up for transmission cooling , question is can i go with a separate trans cooler in front of the radiator and not have to worry about frying my trans ? if so any recommendations on brand of cooler?

2. Would probably work,maybe also tie in a temp gauge.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be fine. Just make sure you put the tranny cooler where you get good air flow.

4. Dapostman

Dapostman

My son has a 1978 postal Jeep with a 229 Chevy V6 and 350 transmission. It has a separate trans cooler in front of the radiator. It is used daily on a rural route 72 miles long and 600, stops in Florida, It has never had a transmission overheating problem. You should be fine, just make sure use a large enough one.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Ive gotten cooler coils from the junk yards and plumbed them in. If they look big enough, they probably are. Look for larger size though. In Tucson we deal with 110 deg and drive in it too. I haven't had a problem.

dan c likes this.
  6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Put a gauge on it an keep an eye on the temps. I imagine the only time you would ever have problems is pulling a heavy trailer during the summer. But then again, if you were interested in pulling you would be dropping in an IH 392 rather then a Chebbie 6.....

7. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I am running just a cooler on my 50. If you think about it, the one built in the radiator gets pretty hot. Bypassing that heat should not be an issue unless you live in a very cold climate where that may be needed to warm the trans in the winter.

8. Lots of people recommend not using the radiator to cool your transmission and just ruing a separate transmission cooler. I am using the oil cooler off of a late model RX-7 on my T 400 but it may be over kill.

Hayden makes a pretty good transmission cooler and you can probably buy lines while you are at it. Choose your favorite catalog speed shop or contact me if you don't have a favorite and I'll tell you mine. ;)

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

just get a good plate and frame style trans cooler! DONT get the fin and tube.... they are a waste of money and time for running as a trans cooler standing alone.

Put in front of radiator in good air flow...

Been done like this on my '56 for 6 yrs and no issues... stock 1969 trans never rebuilt still running perfect.

10. blue57ford

blue57ford

Hayden does make good coolers. Hayden number 1679 is a good sized cooler.

11. LOL I used an AC Condenser once in an old Ford I had. They say that heat is the nemesis of an automatic but unless its 104 in the shade and your pulling a pontoon boat it really doesn't take much to cool one.

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Triple digits down here are normal for us... then put 75 to 90% humidity on top.. its hot.... most of the roads here are about 125 to 130 degree surface temps... So yeah I may be a bit biased on coolers... haha.. But keeping a trans in the 130 to 140 degree range keeps them very happy.

We have 2 seasons... Hot and Mild... and this isn't chicken wings were talking about!

13. We hit trips here as well and humidity as much as 90% but your car doesn't care about humidity it is not using sweat to cool itself. Humidity kills us because we use evaporation to cool ourselves and we can't evaporate when its humid.

The 140-160 range is actually what I shoot for on a transmission I am not sure why I think a transmission guy told me that once. I think that is the reason that they say not to use the radiator to cool one. That said I got a B&M hydro in the garage that is air cooled and I would not hesitate to bolt it in and drive it. They were a slightly different technology though.

What kills us here is the extreme difference in temps, hot in the summer ( not as many days as you) and blue cold in the winter. When I am using a transmission cooler once it gets down around freezing I block or partially block it to keep my transmission up to operating temp. Something that you willonly have to deal with if we go into an ice age or you decide to come visit your primo norteño para la navidad. ;)

14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Damn beaner... making me laugh....

Yeah... if hell freezes over... Ill be mounting ski's to my front wheels and coming up for the festivities..

Can bring some authentic food es la navidad..

15. Siempre lo tenamos por aca. Tamales dulces y Mole Poblano a la media noche el 24. bienvenidos de tal maneras. ;) O que venga por El Dia de Los Reyes. Me gusta los monedas de oro con el chocolate por adentro.

Skis is a little extreme but we should put a '34 grill shell on your heap incase it snows. :D

16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Puedo traer pollo cerdo o ternera, 24? cómo combate 48? la concha 34 parrilla funcionaría como una máquina quitanieves. Mi español es una mierda pero puedo entender y gracias al traductor Google Yo hablo mejor. haha.

17. A nuestra lado de la frontera todos nosotros hablamos un poco mocho. A lo mejor tu aprendiste el Texmex en el pricipio and yo el Chicano. LOL

Traya lo quiera y si, la parilla del modelo 40 es como un snow plow. :D bienvenidos siempre y charlamos hasa por le madrugada. Qual qier idioma pues, a mi ni fu, ni fa.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  18. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

El mío es como spanglish .... tejano-mexicana con Inglés ...

gota encanta el beaner

19. rbelgum

rbelgum

Thanks guys, all good advice. Err........I think.................

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Go with one that is a low pressure drop cooler and size it for weight of truck and what you may tow.
    If you have a high stall converter you may want to up the size.

21. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I second the suggestion to use a plate type cooler. I am using a Setrab cooler on both my cars that I purchased from Godman Hi-Performance, 1-800- 456-2369. I had a combination of 90K on the odo with zero problems.

22. hudson48

hudson48

I don't like running the trans fluid through the radiator either. In the Hudson because of space I have a separate cooler at the rear with an electric fan that pulls the air through.

23. Clik

Clik

No one mentioned a deep pan with cooler tubes.

24. indyjps

indyjps

I've used these Hayden coolers a few times, but any similar style cooler will be fine. I suggest building a separate bracket that spaces the cooler away from the radiator if you have room.
    If you wanna step up, get a cooler with threaded fittings and run hard trans line all the way to the cooler, mount your lines in rubber isolator nountings.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=112

25. Inline 6 or V6? Curious as to why this choice. Different but like it.

Ben

26. Clik I completely forgot about a deep pan with tubes. I have one that I made for a t350 around here somewhere if I haven't given it to someone. You used to be able to buy them cast with fins and tubes.

27. rbelgum

rbelgum

Hello Ben
    The IHC six spun a rod bearing, I have not been able to find a source for over size bearings for the IHC 220, Even if i could I was quoted 5 to 6 hundred to turn the crank and buy bearings if possible. I can pick up a running Chevy six for less than that, also making parts easier to find. Of coarse ether way i go doesn't include my labor . I helped my friend build this truck a couple of years ago and he has lost interest and I know it from top to bottom and thought it would be fairly easy to covet it to Chevy power.

Randy

28. rbelgum

rbelgum

Sorry i should have said it would be a in line six

29. I am not sure where you live but 500 to turn a crank, that guy better give you a kiss first.

I would convert to GM power in a heart beat[​IMG]
    But you may consider changing the rear end at the same time easy to get gears for a Chevy rear.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  30. ...just mount a good small cooler (a 4 pass one will do) on the framerail beside your trans where it'll get air flow, use short hard lines off the trans with a 5-6" legth of rubber trans line to the cooler, have run dozens of cars/trucks this way for over 30 years with no trans problems.
    [​IMG]
    Can we see a couple pics of your truck?