Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny advice needed please....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyM, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BillyM

BillyM

Good morning everyone…..seems I ask more questions around here then I can answer, but I promise to make it up to you all some day!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I’m looking for a little advice…….I’m currently building a ’28 Graham 5 window coupe. My plans are for a fenderless, hoodless light little car. I have a small block Chev, tunnel ram with a 2-4 barrel setup. I have a TH 350 that I had planned to use as the tranny, but a friend cautioned me on the weekend that with such a light little car, it’s going to get all squirrelly on me at shift points………he said I should be looking around for a 2 speed powerglide – he figured it would be a lot more “driveable”……..
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Any thoughts or advice out there?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill.

2. DougHH

DougHH

Tranny advice.....
    well.... if she's got an adam's apple and hairy knuckles chances are you wanna pass on 'her'

(bah boom ching)

3. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

If you are driving it on the street I would use the 350. Seems no matter what trans is in it, if you mash the loud pedal too hard it will be squirrely. A powerglide will just have one less shift point. Depends more on gear selection, rear suspension and throttle control as to how car reacts to shifts or takeoffs. How these variables are tuned together is the important part. Even cam selection has input. Will have to run rpm's up higher with glide before going into high because no second gear, that's the reason why I would run a 350 on the street a little smoother driving in my opinion. For all out drag racing, Glide is it for durability vs cost and would be what I would use. But that would not be a stock glide though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. aaggie

aaggie

Not so much a function of the transmission. Use a Posi rear end and make sure the wheels are pointed straight when you nail it.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you are planning any long cruises go with the turbo 350 with the powerglide at 65 mph your engine will be screamming for another gear and the rpms will be higher,if all you want is a street screamer go with the powerglide.Eitherway you go its going to be a little squirrely with the 350 and 2-4 setup.you already have the 350 turbo .

6. DougHH

DougHH

from what i understand they have the same 1:1 finals and its really more like a PG with an extra gear before first gear, which is fantastic.

anyway heres a thread addressing the subject:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264870

7. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

www.instantrimshot.com

8. Standing up to piss is another thing to watch for.

Bob

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All else being equal, a Powerglide will make it slower off the line---is this what you want?

10. BillyM

BillyM

Thanks everyone! (for both the technical, and "social" advice!!)