Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trailer a car in Houston, TX?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodzmartin, Sep 17, 2018.

1. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Good Morning:

I hope it is ok if I post this question here! I am in Houston, TX and am looking to purchase another classic car (1965 Plymouth) that is about 35 miles from where I live. I went to look at it this weekend and all is good. It is in good shape, runs well and all.
    However, I am not sure if I want to just jump in it and drive it home as I would prefer to trailer it home first.
    Well, I do not have a trailer so I am turning onto the forum here to see if someone could help out (I will cover all the expenses) or knows someone or a decent local company that can.
    Again, this is in Houston, TX and the distant will be only 35 miles.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Martin

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

What side of Houston are you on, and where is the car located?

3. Terrible80

Terrible80

I had an OT vehicle towed in a flatbed wrecker for about $65/ 30 mile. Just a thought.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Questions:
    1) Do you own a pick up truck? If "yes", you can rent a trailer from U-haul. Don't tell them it is a 63 Plymouth. Tell them it is a small car like a Honda Civic.
    2) Do you have AAA roadside service? And if you do, do you have the "Premier" service (100 miles free towing)? If "Yes", have them flat bed the car to your house.

5. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you guys for your prompt replies.
    Stubbsrodandcustoms - PM sent
    Terrible80 - thank you, did you use any particular service?
    BigDogSS - Thank you. Unfortunately No to both questions. I was thinking about renting a truck and trailer, but that would probably end up being more than to use some type of road assistance.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What is this world coming to when a car guy is afraid to jump in a reasonably good running old car and drive it home when it's only 35 miles ? :confused:
    Heck I used to grab a few hand tools in a box and drive a couple hundred miles or more buying an old car. :D

7. I'm with you...I can remember packing a toolbox and flying 1/2 way across the country with my brother to purchase and drive home his '39 Willys. It was an old unknown street rod build that the owner told us he never ventured more than about 5 miles from home. It took us nearly a week to drive the 1500 miles back home...replacing parts and troubleshooting issues along the way. The kind of adventure that makes lasting memories...and great bench racing for years!

Heck...35 miles...you could push it home in a week if you had too.

Ralphies54 and Blue One like this.
  8. X-cpe and Jalopy Joker like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that you probably don't have a full size pickup to tow a trailer with or you wouldn't be asking.
    Around here Uhaul and other trailer rentals ask you what your tow rig is before even talking to you about a trailer as so many clowns have tried to tow car trailers with small Suv's or mini trucks.
    If you don't find a volunteer who will do it for gas, food and beverage I'd suggest checking around for a roll back operator who will do it for a reasonable rate. I paid about 100 bucks to have my OT car hauled home about 25 miles when I had trouble with it and that was right at what renting a U haul would cost here. I rented a flatbed equipment trailer (car trailer) to haul a 52 F1 chassis home and it cost a bit over 100 for the day.
    I don't blame you for wanting to haul it home where you can go over it and make sure everything is up to snuff before driving it if it hasn't been driven regularly lately. Last thing a guy wants to have happen is being stuck on the side of the road and end up having the state patrol or police call a wrecker to get you off the road and have to pay the rates they charge when they call them.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

call around for pricing on a Rollback truck haul....if they aren't real busy you may get a deal. In any case, likely won't be any more, and may be less, than renting equipment since you don't have a truck. It's the fastest and least hassle.

However, I agree with others that, if the car runs reasonably well, why not just drive it.....but...you will need insurance and a license plate or 'drive-away' sticker (the latter from DMV).

Ray

11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Small local outfit.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Drive it like you stole it. If you can't drive it 35-40 miles you don't need the car.

low down A likes this.
  13. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you all for your inputs and comments....it is much appreciated!
    Mr48Chev, yes sir, I do not have full size pick up or trailer and thank you for the input.

Just to answer few comments, there is nothing more I would like then to just drive off, and I think I will be alright; however, this car was not properly driven since it was restored earlier this year, and as Mr48Chev mentioned, I do not want to get stuck 10 miles down the road dealing with police and wrecker service in the middle of the traffic. I would rather haul it home first.

Again, thank you for all your input!

Hnstray and BigDogSS like this.
  14. It was restored this year and your afraid to drive it 35 miles?

Check the oil,gas & brakes then drive it around the block, if that pans out there is absolutely no reason you can't drive it 35 miles or 350 miles, heck if I lived in that area I would be happy to drive it to your house. HRP

15. Patrick Crumley

Patrick Crumley

A few months ago I picked up a 60's El Camino with a shady 3 on the tree and one working brake. Drove that sucker home through the mountains of East TN about 40 miles. Handled great around a right hand curve with the one brake working.

16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

OK, we get it...you guys will drive anything in any condition. But you haven't seen the car and Martin has seen it and has assessed that it would be better (SMARTER!!!) just to tow it home and not risk damage.

aussie oldie, Hnstray and shivasdad like this.
  17. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I would look around some of the local towing companies,tell them what you want to do,they would do it when they are not busy for a reduced rate or cash money,ive done that lots of times,you just have to be flexible as to your delivery times,it will cost 100 to rent a uhaul trailer,flatdeck should run about the same for that short a tow. Harvey

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Why not rent a Uhaul 14foot box truck and trailer? Renting a truck is only $19.99 a day. Not sure what price is a trailer. Rent both and done.

19. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

:D:D:D....you guys make me feel like chicken for not driving it home......but again, I prefer to trailer it....I think that would make me feel better.....(thank you BigDogSS)
    I do not have AAA and will look around to rent a truck and trailer, but I figured if someone knows someone who knows someone in Houston that can help me out, I would prefer to go that route.

Hnstray and BigDogSS like this.
  20. 29moonshine

29moonshine

no tag no insurance one fender bender one cop will cost more than a tow truck

mountainman2 and Hnstray like this.
  21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. For those of you that have not driven thru Houston you have no clue of the traffic and nut cases behind the wheel on & off their very crowded freeways. If you take the scenic route thru Houston at least you are not in high speed bumper car freeway lanes but it is stop & go with many red lights and lots of traffic.
    Good looking cars do not stay that way long in Houston.
    really a flatback is the safe way with an unknown car.
    Good luck, Jimmie

22. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

^^^...my point too.....I can get insurance but the rest would be taking a chance......

23. Terrible80

Terrible80

24. Why buy a car if your not going to drive it? is it going to be a trailer queen?

I'm just having a hard time understanding your thinking, but do what you want,it is your money.

Please post a photo when you get it,have it picked up or whatever, I really want to see the car. HRP

25. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Easy way is to hire a rollback and have it delivered. No breakdowns, tickets or wrecks

Hnstray and alanp561 like this.
  26. Glad I live in a little country town.

Ben

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Feel like a chicken ?
    I’m surprised you’re not sprouting feathers :D:D

28. 29moonshine

29moonshine

not sure about nc but here in fl you get pulled over with no tag and insurance I will cost a lot more than a roll back. i bought a car 15 miles from home tried to drive it home with the wife behind me fhp pulled me over the ticket was more than a rollback would have cost plus 72 hrs to have prof of insurance and tag

aussie oldie likes this.
  29. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you all for the inputs, I appreciate it.

HRP, I will PM you picture of the car as soon as I pick it up.....hoping for middle of this week.