Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional Wheels, Part 3 (alloys):

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 50Fraud, Sep 29, 2011.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

EDIT: If you've enjoyed this thread, check out
    parts 1 (steelies) @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629421
    and 2 (wires) @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629929.

Okay, here's part 3.

Alloy wheels appeared on road cars about the time that I started paying attention to sports cars and road racing, and turned away from hot rods and customs. The '60s, home to a lot of older HAMBers, are not my field of expertise. I have never owned an American car with aftermarket alloys. So, today's lesson will be a lot less fact and a lot more opinion.

For our purposes, alloy wheel history starts with Halibrand at Indianapolis in the '50s, and continues with genuine magnesium wheels used in road racing and at the drags. These were attractive to hot rod guys, and were used on the occasional bucks-up hot rod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aluminum versions of these designs became available, and were copied in simplified form by the Ansen Sprints and a zillion others:

[​IMG]

The Halibrand designs and similar copies are still popular with street rodders; the Ansen "window mags" not so much.

I think I saw my first set of American Torq Thrusts in 1961, and thought that they were peculiar looking. Why were the spokes flared outward toward the rim? It took awhile for them to grow on me, but they did. I still think that their original design, as cast with machined rims, is as good as 5-spokes ever got. IMO they don't need to be polished, and none of the later variants compare with the original TT's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hundreds -- probably thousands -- of knockoffs of the original TT's have been made and sold in the 50-odd years since the originals were introduced. Of these, I kinda like the 200s or Daisies (preferably polished), although I seem to be in the minority:

[​IMG]

...and I can tolerate Cragars on somebody else's car, although I can't think of a car on which I'd run them myself:

[​IMG]

The number of 5-spoke wheels I wouldn't take to a dogfight are countless:

Astro Supremes
    Radirs (why didn't they just keep spelling it Rader?)
    Keystones
    Hursts
    ...plus all of the Americans with fat spokes, flat spokes, and other corruptions of the honest original design.

Although they seem to have passed our of favor now, I thought Centerlines were pretty cool in their original form. They have a similar stark aesthetic to Moon wheel discs:

[​IMG]

There are several wheels that have been used on road racing and European sports cars that spin my propeller, but none of them are likely to end up on a hot rod or custom:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That about covers my opinions (together with a little history) on alloys. There are no really modern wheels that fit this board, or my personal preferences, so I'll leave them out of this discussion.

Oh, except for these:

[​IMG]
    Concreteman photo
    [​IMG]

:)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

One of my favorite Hot Rod wheels are the no window Halibrand.

Dragster.jpg

And there was a trailer wheel in 5.5X5 boltpattern that works really well on a Trad Hot Rod.

3d91_1.jpg

4. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Nice looking mid 50s Ford but the those rims are not my choice on any car. :)

5. anteek

anteek

The trailer wheels pictured above; what are they worth? I've had a pair for years and they need to go. What are they worth?????

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here are some of my other favorites.

( no need to post a pic of another mesh wheel... :D)

Minilite.
    Solo 2.jpg

Revolution.
    scan0009sd6.jpg

Ronal.
    whlRonal_02.jpg

Campagnolo.
    $(KGrHqMOKjcE354ZGFGRBODc9S!t+!~~_12.jpg

Campagnolo.
    11 G 024.JPG

FPS
    indexfelge.jpg

ATS
    831_ATS_rennsport.jpg

BWA
    BWA.jpg

Autodelta ( Alfa Romeo )
    IMG_3808%20(2).JPG

Lotus Wobbly Web
    Thirty-7.003.jpg

And some misc other ones...
    6a2f_1.jpg

8129_1.jpg

McLaren%20rims.jpg

whlParis01.jpg

Speedline.jpg

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Strong! You led off with my hands down favorite (kidney bean Halibrands) and hit all of them all the way down! (Well, 'cept the no hole Halibrands) even hit the Minilites!!!
    Damn well done!

8. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Here's my Torq Thrusts om my 64.I like the old 60's look.:D

Attached Files:

9. Deuces

Deuces

...... And "click on" pictures...

Attached Files:

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yep, I like 'em too. Seems like they were the less common sister variety to the kidney beans.

These have already been discussed ad nauseum in the thread on my car and in the steelies thread. They were only in this thread as a joke. I thought they were a good idea, a better one turned up, they are no longer on the car.

You some kinda Yurpeen guy? :)
    You have good taste in wheels (no surprise); I like many of these as well.

Wow, there's a surprise! I expected to be crucified by all the Supremes fans. Thanks!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's your opinion... I like the Supremes, though I have to say you gave to much attention to two wheels that really don't belong on the HAMB, the Daisy's and the Centerlines....

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Maybe squirt a little red paint on those bad boys Tony, and these guys will let you join them... :)

[​IMG]

13. The straight spoke style 5-spoke Americans and other knock-off wheels look way better than any of the new curved spoke designs. Just as the 5-spokes went out of favor for a while, I think the slots and centerlines will make a comeback - but not on traditional style hot rods. They work on late 60's and up cars and trucks. Centerlines especially as used on the street machine style builds from the 70's-80's which will come back into popularity.

A variant of the 5-spoke that I like and is also being reproduced is the American T70R. I don't have a picture handy, but they are one of my favorites. They are a straight 5-spoke with a lip on the side of the spoke.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  14. badshifter

badshifter

Good info and pics. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. I'd rather see these threads and learn a little, or confirm what I know, then see another f-ing frame swap thread. Go Fraud!

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

All three of these threads are great reading.
    I have a real downer on Daisy Mags (well, most five spoke wheels really) because so many people over here, the tri- Chevy crowd in particular, like to use them to show off their monster disc brake conversions.
    Paul

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Quote from Tony, "Except for these".

It's takes a man to admit his "mistake" Tony.

Except for one thing...I never had a huge problem with those wheels in the first place (although I do prefer the present caps).

It's sad, though, when a customizer/rodder with your pedigree and good taste is criticized so harshly for merely being original and different. And then you broke more rules with that scoop....the horror of it all (and good for you)!

Thanks for the enlightening and thought provoking threads man.

17. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh the horror is right! Damned Crown Vic wheels... I'm literally stabbing my own eyes out in an effort to get that vision out of my head. The stabbing hurts, but not as bad as my feelings!

So, I have a stupid question....

Did Ted Halibrand actually make an aluminum wheel? I don't think he ever did, did he? If that's the case, the first aluminum Halibrands came after he sold the company in 1979 or 80? Curiosity more than anything...

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Once again, and for the THIRD time......great thread.
    Thanks much for this information....
    Cheers..........

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

21. nail-head

nail-head

Didn't they start making those curved spokes to clear modern disc brakes and give the wheel more backset?

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The first D-spokes (curved spokes) that I am aware of from American were in the mid sixties, and legend has it they were made to clear the discs that chevy started to use in the corvette race cars. They were the heaviest damn Magnesium wheels I have ever carried! A friend bought a set years ago at Pamona at the farthest possible booth from our truck... Got a work out that day!

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Another great write-up on wheels. I gotta agree with you on most things, but I do prefer my unpolished Daisys on the '50 Burb.

I remember back in the '80s when Centerlines were the shit. May be inappropriate here, but I always liked them things.

My first custom wheels on my first car were those gold modular wheels that were big in the '80s. They looked great on my gold Duster back around 1985

24. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

It's funny how these wheels are still called Mags!I'm just old enough to remember almost every tire shop around here having signs someplace refusing to mount tires on "Mag wheels" The first places I remember mounting tires on "Mags" Was the local Bennie's store and Western Auto and that's because they were the only place local we could get them!

25. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

This scoop looks way nicer than one of those glass teardrops that got stuck on everything around here in the 60s

26. walls

walls

Excuse my ignorance but, when did Centerlines come around? They'd be the business on a mid 60's "racer" type.
    And the no hole Halibrands, they're fuckin serious looking.
    Never really gave much thought to these wheels.

27. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Cragar made some similar wheels in the very late 60s (or maybe 1970?) that were two halves bolted together for drag racing. Centerline came out with their version in the early 70s. They look very similar, but the rim halves are fabricated differently (cold-forged vs. turned) and are held together with rivets instead of bolts. They were also designed to be a street/strip wheel, rather than just a racing wheel.

By the way, excellent posts (all three).

28. Squablow

Squablow

Cragar S/S, Cragar G/T, Fenton Hawk, single rib Rader, Astro Supreme, Keystone Kustomag, Mickey Thompson Indy 500, Foresight Ventures Drag Mag, and Hurst wheels are probably all my favorites, not necessarily in that order, but it doesn't seem like many of those style wheels got much love in this thread. I can dig up pics if necessary, or even just take some pics as I think I have examples of almost all of those wheels personally.

I have some of those Daisy wheels and I hate them, it'll be one of the first things that gets swapped off of my '52 Ford. I'm also not a fan of Centerlines at all, too 80's pro-street for my taste. To me, Centerlines and Weld wheels are cousins, if you liked one you liked the other.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Any more info on the O/T '67 Plymouth? Thats a BC plate on the back, this car is from around my area and I have never seen it before. And I own a '66, so I am always watching for these. Snarky looking bastard too. If you want to, PM me.

By the way, Im betting you know the original 200S look-a-likes that were on Trans-Am cars in '69-'70 were magnesium? From what I heard, they were prone to cracking though.

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This seems to clear it up -- the aluminum Hals came after the company was sold. Thanks for the link, Steve; that's a very interesting thread. Nice Halibrand derivatives you put up, too.

True, they're a stretch for the HAMB's defined era.

I mentioned that I thought the Cragars were OK; I don't personally like any of the others. If you'd like to put up pictures, though, go ahead; it will add to the total information content of the thread.

We don't agree here either. I like Centerlines (even though they're OT); I don't like Welds.

No, it just showed up when I searched Google Images for Centerlines.