Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Welds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, May 5, 2005.

1. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

I gas weld most of my panels. I don't worry about stretching the weld while it is still hot. It does not really matter much. I usually weld for a few inches or more at a time, and if the panel is really moving a lot, then hammer a little bit to get it back, and then go on welding. I don't try to do all the stretching and smoothing until after the weld is finished. During the welding, if I need to move the metal a little, it only takes a few taps with a hammer over a flat surface or a dolly...usually from inside the panel. I've converted a microphone stand to hold my torch while it is lit. Seems to work for me....warning...it is easy to forget you have an open flame, and if I worked with others I would not leave it lit. Too easy to walk into it and get burned.

A planishing hammer might be a little un-subtle for hammer welding, but if you are careful, you can pull it off. Easy to stretch more than you need to. just the weld and the area that is blue are all that should need to be stretched. Move the metal back close to its original area first by bumping or light hammering, then stretch. I like to use a hammer with a slight crown to stretch. A perfectly flat hammer and a close fitting dolly will take more effort to actually stretch the weld.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hey Roost

Did you ever get your $4,000 Kraftformer? :)

3. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

The thing to remember, for those that haven't done hammer welding, or are just starting, is only hit the weld. Event though the metal looks like it is warped 6" away, dont hit that. What happens is as the metal cools it contracts where it was heated (the weld), which pulls all the metal around it making every thing look all warped. So, weld about 1/4-1/2" and then grab your hammer and dolly and give it a couple good wacks. It doesnt take a whole lot, so dont go too nuts on it or you will have warpage from the metal beeing overly stretched it that area. Do hammer on dolly because you want to stretch it out, to counter the shrinking of the weld. You should hear a nice crisp high pitched "ting" sound when you hit it. Then move down the seam a ways where the metal is cool and do another 1/4-1/2" and repeat. Try not to do too much in one area, as heat will build up in the panel and cause extra warping. Let things cool down before you go back. You can do this with oxy or tig, but like said before if you try it with mig your probably going to crack it.