Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

At least he was smart enough to keep that front axle.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Marascos car was one of the trickest T buckets of the era. LOTS of really different stuff on that car if you look close.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Never seen THAT one before!!

4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks II Funny for posting! I was in the basement last night looking through 65-66 Hot Rods for the elusive "red car" that has been discussed, thinking, "I should scan some of these," now I don't have to!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

as requested, the red t I was thinking of. I had the wrong year, it was Jan '67.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

7. Before you guys bag on that car too much - Remember this, that is TV Tommy's T during one of it's incarnations that went with the time and yeah it was a bit over the top when Barris did it up. BUT nothing on the car was so changed that it couldn't be returned to the way Ivo first had it, and that is exactly what my friend Jack Rosen did with the car. It has been at the NHRA Museum for some time now in it's restored to original Ivo state. And it is a VERY SIGNIFICANT car!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think TFeverFreds point is that by the style of the layout, if you are a hard-core nutter for old magazines, its fairly obvious its Hot Rod. But to be fair, not all of us are hard-core nutters for old magazines. I should have specified, its Hot Rod.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok well again, at the risk of being "Obvious Man" most of us assume that pretty much everyone looking at this thread knows most of the history of the Ivo car, ESPECIALLY if they are actually following this thread, but maybe we assume too much. Yes, what Don says is correct, the car was restored to its original form some time ago, and ODIOUS as the Barris mods were, at least he didnt butcher the car, the way he did, say, the Chrisman coupe for instance!!

10. 54sled

54sled

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379638849.235426.jpg another shot of my bucket!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Surprised this thread didn't get reslotted.

12. A Boner

A Boner

Wow, the name Barris, and the word butcher in the same sentence.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure this one came up. If so, I missed it. Roth's version of "Tweedy Pie" is a T Bucket I fell in love with, but hated the quad headlights. It's just looks cool. It's got a couple things besides the headlights that don't agree with me, but it's still on my list of favorites.

[​IMG]

On a funny note, this is the opening sentence describing the car on a website I found. "Built in 1962, Tweedy Pie is a fairly traditional hot rod." http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013/03/01/ed-roth-cars/5.html

I love it when "non-car guys" try to write about cars.:D

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'm always glad to see this thread resurface.

I've always liked Tweedy Pie too. When you start getting shorter than '96" W.B. though CUTE comes to mind. Adding to that it also sits kinda high. It did have a look though and cute is probably why Roth gave it the name he did.

15. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Okay...I need all my T Bucket Cronies to chime in....My Bucket is currently dark charcoal with a little light flake...think Acura! I think it would look better with a Matte finish...I could take the safe way and go black, or an oxide, but kinda wanted something different. Light blue? Yellow? Tan? I am changing out the plug wires to black and working in some "aged" steel script valve covers....could even change out the wheels for glossy black....open the floodgates and let me have it!

Thanks

Attached Files:

16. I like your car, but yes can see changing the plug wires, valve covers and maybe go black on the wheels, but the red sets the car off nice, tan body with black wheels could look real sharp...how about some Corvette scripted aluminum covers...

maybe a vintage boat steering wheel? maybe something with a little aqua in it

black vinyl seats, tan body, aqua and cream steering wheel, black wheels, maybe some aqua pin striping very subtle, not a ton, maybe on the dash, maybe lose a panel off the windshield frame...

17. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

I have been pondering the windshield chop....I do have it up for sale so I am working on a way to make it modular! The corvette covers would be bitchen but not easy to find....Thanks for the input!!!!

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I hate to see you cover up that nice paint job. In fact the frame on my roadster is almost the same color. Except gold flake.

Early valve covers a good idea. The only other changes I suggest is some white pin striping and baby moon hubcaps to cover some of the red on the rims. Maybe a lot of white striping.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like your rod ,really nice as is,but "matte finish":eek: thats not a finish=its primer and never was a dam finish,matte looks like ether some one is just still woking on it or failed to know how to paint a car... OK ,I guess you get the idea I super hate it when anyone seems to think primer[or any of todays flats or matte] is anything but to be used temp only tell the smoothing is done,than add nice shiny.:D I know I'm old an too set in my ways, from doing stuff in the 50's an 60's.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  20. 117harv

117harv

^^^^ Give it a rest, you have made this same post a dozen or more times this year. We get it, you like glossy paint, not everyone does, we all have likes. You have called some here that have other than glossy paint lazy, or that they just dont care, that is just not true.

I like glossy, but matte/primer looks great on/in the right application.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  21. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

If you look at the rods of the 40-50s there ain't no shiny paint! It is a look and the Gospel! I do like shiny paint...the 1969 Camero I just finished has 4 coats of red and 3 coats of clear.... No worries all opinions are welcomed!

22. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

I hope this wasn't pointed at me? Lol....:rolleyes:

23. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

It ain't that nice! Quite a bit of spider webbing, chips and funk! I like the moon cap idea!

24. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

Shooting for 64-66 time period. 289/ C4, 9", even the radiator is out of a 65 Mustang.

Attached Files:

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was leveled at Dana Barlow. He keeps telling everybody that primer isn't a finish... Seems damn near everything I've ever built I've been driving too hard and using too much to ever bother with pretty and polish. It works very well for me, and I freakin' hate washing shiny cars...

26. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Actually, I like your existing paint. I wouldn't change that. However, baby moons and a short windshield (12-13") would be good.

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry I just couldn't let this go any longer.

In the '40s and '50s things about paint were just about like they are now. If a builder had enough money and cared enough he or she would paint their rod shiny. It was just probably what they would their last spent money on. Look at both versions Grabowski's T both shiny paint. What probably didn't happen was somebody painting a car flat just for the look of flat paint.

I just never could understand putting flat paint on a nice car. When I was young probably in high school, a neighbors family was affluent enough to buy their son my friend an almost new shiny black I think '61 Ford fastback. He started spraying rattle can primer in spots. I questioned him about it. His response was "I just want it to look like a kids car" I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

Sorry Gary

28. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Shiny cars back then were far and few between....but I get your point! Guess its kinda like classic Coke....just going for nostalgia!

Thanks for the input...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You didn't sell it or am I thinking of someone else?

30. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Still for sale....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using H.A.M.B. mobile app