Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional style 32-34 ford fiberglass cars - Any pic's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Aug 20, 2015.

1. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

This is what I started with. It was $200 and made in the 70's. 14680560_10154580850748088_610481083521431688_n.jpg

2. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

ive had 2 glass 32 and was proud of them even though I never finished them , that was what I could afford at the time but both builds were flathead /traditional style second one ended up chevy powered but traditional style 283 manual if it wasn't for repro fibre glass repro steel or a new type of composite body being built here in aus there wouldn't be half the nice cars on the road in hotrodding and hot rodding would of been the looser . so open your mind you guys please and I will try to open mine about those injected motors and overdrive trans . if ive upset some one I'm sorry we cant all have steel early cars there isn't enough of them and not every one can afford or repair a rusty one

robracer1 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And...................

4. CA. 280

CA. 280

Kind of surprised nobody's fooling with carbon fiber repro's even if it's just a Track-T.
    Lighter, stronger and maybe wouldn't require as much internal bracing??

loudbang likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

How many '32 'Vehicle I.D. Numbers' are there, (were there?) vs. the number of '32s (real and 'glass) that are 'harboring' them?
    Both my former Gennie '32 frames are registered as '32 Fords, so one wonders...

lucky ink and loudbang like this.
  6. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

SORRY!

pprather likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Carbon fiber is stupid expensive and you use epoxy resin which is also stupid expensive. I have it in my shop but I wouldn't waste the expense on my own car. I keep it around for when I get an itch to build an airplane.Its great stuff if you have deep pockets and weight and strength is more important than practicality . People think your getting rich off of them when building bodies with polyester resins and fiberglass. Ask me how I know. Most guys that build fiberglass bodies and stick with it when they find out it is not the most profitable way to make a living keep going because of their passion to do it kinda like musicians and artists with monetary gain not being priority. People don't realize what a bargain they are getting when they get a glass body even though the purchase price is large to a guy buying one. Every piece is made by hand one at a time and each piece has to sit and cure in the molds overnight before being worked where on the other hand sheet metal parts are stamped every few seconds with countless parts being made every day. Have you ever seen the pictures of the stacks of quarter panels on a pallet ? Tack them together and done. Fiberglass has to be sanded and glassed together. Again let sit over night before working again . Way more time and labor consuming than a steel body and yet sold for half or a third the cost of a quick built steel body. O.E.M. auto manufacturers do much of their short term high end research and development parts in fiberglass but in production they stamp steel because its fast an less labor intesive. Think the price of a Corvette compared to stamped steel cars.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    loudbang and robracer1 like this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

New Age Motorsports 'glass body sitting on a Pete and Jakes Chassis. Started tearing it back apart to get the bare metal in primer.
    SPark

check2.jpg check6.png check10.png

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Buddy of mine just finished this one this summer. DSC00459.JPG

MO_JUNK, UNCLECHET, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  10. CA. 280

CA. 280

You might want to look into these folks https://www.sollercomposites.com/ I pay around $18.50 for a yard of 50"
    3K carbon plain weave at 5.9 oz as opposed to $12.05 a yard for 50" plain weave, 4 oz fiberglass cloth. 50" x 36"
    is a lot of carbon fiber. Your right about the epoxy though, 820 is $36.00 a pint with hardener and pumps. You can buy a gallon of 3M poly for that price. West System epoxy is somewhat cheaper.No comparison in strength though.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Hey guys, as the OP of this thread let’s keep the glass car debate out of it.

I started this thread saying I don’t care if you like glass cars or not. I just want to see what some creative folks have done with what they’ve had to work with.

Feel free to talk about the car and what’s been done to it but let’s keep the opinions to ourselves.

Less words more pics!

slv63, ramblin dan, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  12. MO_JUNK, AHotRod, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  13. Dennis D

Dennis D

Just got mine back from the trim shop. D IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1324.JPG

MO_JUNK, Tjompen, Murphy32 and 22 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

509garyd and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. Dennis D

Dennis D

Thank you. Still some detail work to do, but it's getting close. Just in time for winter......D

loudbang likes this.
  16. pragmatist

pragmatist

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

34ford 001.JPG I had a 34 3W glass body ...original Henry Chassis and grill,hood,etc,etc..... Best damn car I owned.
    Lives somewhere in Ohio ..... unchanged.

18. thumbnail_IMG_0502.jpg My new ride. Traded my glass '33 for this one....
    Downs glass body on a Lobeck Chassis powered by a Ford 347 Stroker.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  19. Built this in the mid 70s. Body made by John Brown in northern Ill. Body made before Wescott's 32 roadster. Then I built the black one in the early 90s, it is a Wescott. done right before MY OLD ROADSTER 002.JPG ROADSTER 2015 001.JPG Brookville came out with there metal body.

MO_JUNK, Willy Lee, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

<<<<<<<<<<<<<Wescott

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Downs Body, Still retains Gel Coat finish, super staight body and fitment.

DSCF4206.JPG DSCF4191.JPG IMG_3663.JPG

A little different look with wheels.

MO_JUNK, Willy Lee, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  22. shortypu

shortypu

Rod Action body on Kiwi conection frame,Body had great fit and finish.I do wish it had outside hinges. 6 point rollbar in it because 383,super T10,3.73's I was worried it would crack and twist but with 3,200 miles on it so far no problems. IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0693.JPG

23. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

[​IMG]

Picked this up last year. Red Neck body. 400 sbc with Vortec heads. 700R4, 9” rear. AC, pwr windows, heated seat.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MO_JUNK, AHotRod, Fordor Ron and 4 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We need more shots of this bitch'n 3W.

509garyd and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. x2 on that !! JW

loudbang likes this.
  26. I like that Rramjet1. Is that full height top?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Looks like the coupe that Tony Price built some time ago in Salt lake City.

Mick

loudbang likes this.