Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional rods-why 1964?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillydeluxe, May 17, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank

hotrodders.com or rodders rountable doesn't care what year. Go there to talk about 64 and newer. Pleanty of sites like that. Come here to talk about 63 and older. Just like going to a Honda board and asking why they don't like domestics. Nuff said.

2. Eryk

Eryk

Um. I don't think anyone mentioned this board's cutoff year or anything having to do with the internet at all actually. He was talking about car shows and the idea behind the cutoff year in general. You may have missed the point on this one.

3. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

right on.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fact is, from a previous discussion on the topic, the cutoff rule is mainly for the ads and for cars not parts. Ok I'm generalizing and didn't go back to the rules to re-educate. I've seen plenty of 65 Impalas on this board. 65 Rivs too. I'm sure other 65 and newer stuff that I just plain missed. The point of building with tradition and respect of how it was done vs a year is really the theme we all have in common, isn't it? No, I don't wanna see an S-10 with WWW and flat black. I do like to see new incarnations of the Roth style, hi-tech metal work on generally accepted model years, and innovation that brings tradition forward for all to see. I hate 20" wheels. I don't get it. But I do live near Motown where families can live in our potholes so I'm jaded. And I don't think the look is proper for everything. Nor do i think steelies and chrome reverse wheels are right for all either.

This one of those "you know it when you see it" things. A lowered 66 Ford step side PU with a traditional flair is A OK in my book. But so is a tastefully done custom 67 Mustang (and not a fuckin "pro touring" thing!). There's been many 'Vettes on here as well. Ryan did a thing on the small block Chevy that spoke of a 'Vette drag racer. Our tastes in tradition span many venues. While certain shows do have a cutoff for sake of logistics, "you know it when you see it" no matter where you go or what you build.

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Yes exactly! anyone going:rolleyes:

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think that there are two reasons for the '64 cutoff at Billetproof.

First, it cuts out Mustangs and muscle cars. Argue all you want about their merits, that's fine. They're apples and oranges when compared to rods and customs.

Second, I just feel that there was some sort of cosmic shift in '65. Many cars became much squarer and uglier, but there is just something that, to me, doesn't feel the same from '65-on.

7. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

you guys ALL need to get a LIFE....

rich post middle age FAT FUCKS buying their "ratrodz" off of ebay into your world of coolness,,,INSTANT aceptability into YOUR WORLD~!

isnt that all it takes anymore???

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

8. That's probably a separate topic. but. . .

70s, 80s=fiberglass anything

90s=Boyds billet hell

00=Pro Touring muscle cars

Maybe that says it all right there.

9. magnet

magnet

Take it from a guy that works the gate at a "cutoff show" .. there has to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere.. There is a specific feel and vibe that goes along with cars .. and bikes.. built around a certain era or subculture. When you throw something else in the mix it detracts from the show. There are exceptions.. as with everything.. and that creates grey areas .. but ther are people who dont get it.. so we have to make stern rules to minimize the grey areas.

Like i always say.. you wouldnt let a Honda tuner into your Model T show... would ya?

Sometimes things just dont fit. ..

It has been agreed by todays culture that traditional hot rods and customs generally end at '64 ... thats just the way it is..