Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional ...not what your thinking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of this because there's nothing Traditional about my post war Plymouths.

2. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Maybe it's all just semantics when talking style of build. I call building a car that looks like it was built in the 1950's down to the smallest detail a replication (starting without a whole car just parts). It sounds like some may be calling that a restoration I think. But a restoration to me is taking a rod that was actually built in the 50's and restoring what can be restored to the way it was without changing it's character, which is tricky in it's self. Then there are levels of replication that are dependent on finances, skill and availabilty of parts. when we build a car from the ground up some folks usually choose a style or theme like traditional hot rod, rat rod, street rod or even resto rod. Then there are guys and gals that have something in mind that is a mix of some or even all of them to make something unique in their eyes. If a person wants to ask a question and get an answer without a lot of noise they should probably let it be known what they're building as detailed as they can. Some times that is not easy for some people on here because their style or level of replication may be judged as incorrect on this forumn and they are afraid of being ridiculed. I somewhat feel this way because I am trying to replicate an early 60's hot rod that is based on a glass streetrod body. Although severely boxed in by finances, I want a car with that era's look and feel when driving and this is my best option (when driving it I won't know it's glass hopefully). However, because of some remarks about glass I feel almost embarrased to post updates. I think some people feel this forum is a great place to gather knowledge about methods and configurations used to modify street cars in the past but feel the same way I did at first and just don't want to detail the project when asking tech question. My advice is just don't worry about it and get the info you need. Most of these guys are great and like creativity. Even though I am embarrased about my glass car because it is somewhat wrong, like the chop and other things, no one has bashed it on here and I usually get some positive remarks. Then again there are just questions that are just way out there. But ask anyway because you'll never learn if you don't. And you experts just go easy on people learning because we all had to start somewhere even the ones that think we are self taught.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

thats what the post was about,,getting the info,,as apposed to opinions on what one was doing.

opinions are fine ,,but they tend to overrun the questions asked and the actual tech question just gets lost

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Could you be a little more specific?

gggg [I,m getting a kick out of these posts]

6. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I can see your point.....a friend of mine restoring a 1939 knuck would not ride the bike because he was scrounging for a rare date coded ground wire for his regulator ! ! the anal retentives irritate me too ! !

i am also a hiprocrite for preaching about pure traditional, driving around with vega box from flaming river ! ! ! makes me feel like a flamer [ Ha Ha ]

i have owned many non traditional hot rods in my life. been driving around in dilluted rum for years ! ! Just wanted a lil pure 151 in my cup this round.

that was the fun and challenge of the build. trying to stick to the circa 62 plan as close as my wallet would permitt. now i am almost there and broke again ! ! ! ! but pegging the fun meter. below pick is a non traditional rod i owned dripping with billit, blown sbc with twin webbers . fast fun and functional hot rod. nothing wrong with that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009