Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional ...not what your thinking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Apr 20, 2009.

1. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

You guys need to go back out to the garage and just work on your rod.......

2. as weird as it sounds, I agree with the old bosses reasoning and logic and then again I don't.
    good example:
    I do powder coating, and so do another billion shops. If I would have listened or followed his reasoning, I would be doing nothing but basic colors, again like the other billion or so shops, me thinking "outside the box" has me being the only one around that has stepped out and am doing multi-layered powder jobs.
    I have spent many many hours of experimentation, trial and error and now look what I can do, ALL IN POWDER!
    Believe me guys, its not so scary outside the box. dare to be different and all that blah, blah, blah
    oh yeah, I love the statement I "bolded" below. Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. banjorear

banjorear

Wasn't there a song about things being so ironic?

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I do agree with most all on this one .
    It just seems to me many are loosing the concept of the whole idea of " Traditional Hot rods " . It's really not that hard to do . Just think about all the goodies you could get in the 40's, 50's & 60's and if it was made after the early 60's then forget . Do something else . There are a ton of great parts you can get for some really great engines !
    As for the S-10 shit , people want the easy way out instead of just fixing the one that came with the car or truck they bought . I do understand the better ride and all but all the other racers and hot rodders before you did it and they made great hot rods so why can't you do the same .
    It really isn't that hard ! Just search for the parts that were used back then ! I have a 55 Ford with drum brakes and a Y block and runs and stops fine . I am also building a 37 Ply pick-up that has the drum brakes and straight axle. It will stay that way too ! As for the paint , well some shade of black ! :D

5. thesupersized

thesupersized

I disagree with the last sentence, the reason i disagree is because of the word 'traditional' was included, i believe that hot rodders are always looking for a better way to do things and figuring out how to use the latest technology to build a better hot rod, HOWEVER, traditional hot rodders try to capture the technology and style that was available in the era that are attempting to replicate in their hot rod. for example, a traditional hot rodder will be happy to have his AV8 model a run 15 seconds on the 1/4 mile because back in the day, that was fast, however a hot rodder will not be happy because 15 seconds is not that fast relating to todays standards, so they will opt for later technology to improve performance to compete with modern day standards of performance. this probably doesn't make sense, who cares. build what you like.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Thats a very good point

7. A big part of traditional for me is making parts, or making something odd work like it was made for the purpose instead of buying parts. I often don't have a problem using newer stuff ... If you can't tell the part came off of something newer because I have modified it to be 'right', I've done it right. I like keeping folks guessing. :)

And FWIW I've been out in the shop tonight making transmission and engine mounts for the Dragmaster. Traditional? Who cares, I'm having fun!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

And I skinned the cowl panels on the 53.(multitasker)

9. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

"quote by Forrest Gump" "TRADITIONAL IS AS TRADITIONAL DOES"
    To me, there is all kinds of ways of expressing traditional.
    I unfortuantly, am old enough, that about everything that I do and think about, would be traditional, to the younger crowd!!
    But to me there, is only two traditionals, that I think about!!!
    There is period correct traditional, (built with parts, from a specific time), which I really am to poor to afford, to do it this way!!
    And building it in a traditional way,(which is using parts that you can beg, borrow and steal) (scratch the steal part), and use what you got, or can get, or can modify, to make work, with the money you have, to make your ride look like you invisioned.
    And most importantly for me, is to keep my old ride, on the road, and cruising!!
    That's how it was when I was young, so I guess that's traditional enough, for me!!

Shadetree

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I think next time i'll use the word ratrod :p ,,,this reminds me of that thing in 2 nd grade where the teacher tells one person something and then when it gets all the way to the back of the room is it the same thing as when it started

"all i wanted was a pepsi ,and she would'nt give it to me"

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  11. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I am also more of a lurker, but I battled with this exact same issue with my 49 F-1. It was small block ford for reliability, and less expense, or flatty and pay through the nose for mild performance. The small block won out. (But only for now!) My friends and I all have a decent idea of what traditional rods are, but breaking the mold of traditional, to me, is part of the attraction.

To see a deuce with a small block chevy does nothing anymore, because they are everywhere, and that is a traditional setup. Seeing a deuce with an old caddy...thats bitchin! Moreover I find myself looking for the obscure and downright funky setups on different rods for insparation. While trying to keep things traditional. Rather than a 302, I went with a '65 289 with a few goodies, but still not in many eyes, traditional at all! I am keeping the straight axle though! Narrow banjo rear over a 9" any day! My whole club, reguardless of how finished a car may seem, is always a work in progress. Well, thats my thought for the month. Great post!

12. I feel your pain. I am trying to build my HA/GR to recreate a rail job that could have shown up at Great Bend in 55. (except that it must fall withing the HA/GR rules) Most don't get it. You wouldn't believe how many have suggested "alternatives" that just won't accomplish my goal. "Just get it on the track" NNOO!! that's NOT the point!

you are trying to recreate a "moment in time" PERIOD!!!

those who can't understand that never will

those who refuse to help you because they've been there, done that, and know a better way---well--- they fall into the above category.

I have found that refusing to compromise your build, and being gently persistent with the right people, will eventually get you what you need to know.

patience is often the key, trial and error is the keychain.

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well lotta things discussed here is what i like about this site. Lots of expertice, and craftsmanship, opinions and comments. I can only give what i know and knew. My perspective is from around the time when our rods were in transition. I had to get info from the people that actually built their own rods or from oldtimers who were tellin me what they used to do, along with the rod mags of the day. I was one of only about 3 people in my town that had a sbc in a rod. I bought my 56' 265" in 1956. It got a lotta attention but it was stock and not very fast cept it was good hole shooter. We were scrutinezed for craftsmanship and not mickey'd up, but lots of leeway for being 'a rod in construction'. So I can relate to those who are just starting or want info from a earlier perspective. for me its a 'back to the future' experience!

14. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

Im only 32 years old, young by almost all standards. The other day a friend of mine and I were talking about how many friends in what age group we have based on automobiles. I guess I've never been called on to disect it. It would seem that of all my real friends most of them are over 60, and rodders from the day. Most of the people that call or stop by the shop to check out what's going on are twice my age. I have a great repect for history and eat up the chance to hear it from the source.

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

When I first built my A, I wanted it to get me around and look cool. but also I wanted a hot rod. The latest thing was the 'overheads'. You were a big deal if you ran one. But flattys were still around that could take on a stock Olds or Cad. The ohv,s solved all the problems, ran cool, and ran fast, and then you could go from there. But that's when you found out how good your running gear was. So that was traditional 50 or so years ago. Improving your ride to be useable, nothin wrong with that. When you start putting a 'fence' of rules around your car, thats when you leave the freedom of expression, and you find yourself in the same place as the restorers! [Now that oughtta bring out some comments!] For me to put in a sbchevy, would be going back to my roots as a rodder, but guess what I,m thinking of doing! I just happen have a flathead that I think will be ok to install in my deuce 2dr, something i vowed I would never do! [ when they are good they are very very good]realize now, it takes all kinds to be in this hobby, so I will give an opinion or two but in the end, I leave to each his own.

16. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

For me it is simple,

Out of respect for the direction and flavor of the board, and out of respect for those who were here before me, I really, really, try to refrain from posting "controversial" parts of my builds, and controversial stuff in general...

Save the drama for your mamma... :D

Anyway, while I try to avoid imposing my influence on the HAMB, I have to admit that the really cool traditionalist stuff here on the forum has for sure influenced me.

17. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

its really simple ....true to the erra = traditional.

nothing wrong with tilt, cruz, TPI in a 1934 ford

you will then be traditional for 1980 up

traditional for 1948 is another story

i dont believe in mixing the erra's

that simple ! !

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. A Boner

A Boner

1. 1940's parts= very,very,very traditional HOT ROD (at least 6o yrs old )
    2. 1950's parts= very, very traditional HOT ROD 5o
    3. 1960's parts= very traditional HOT ROD 4o
    4. 1970's parts= traditional HOT ROD 3o
    5. 1980's parts= HOT ROD 2o
    6. 1990's parts= STREET ROD

How "old" qualifies as being a traditional HOT ROD

Muscle cars started to die out in the 70's...........and some slick HOT RODS were being built. Guys like Barry Lobeck were building some (to my eye) traditional HOT RODS.........are they traditional HOT RODS?

19. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

yeah i have ask around on other sites how to do lead work. everyone has told be just use bondo or glass. "not what i ask!" i know hoe to do normal body work now i want to know how to lead. i really want to learn at a masters hand so to speak. one guy did tell me the only rod shop he had heard of that still does lead work is barris kustoms.

20. Sergeant_at_Arms

Sergeant_at_Arms
    from Tampa, FL

My .02 cents worth.
    Traditional
    A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.
    Heritage
    Something that is passed down from preceding generations; a tradition.
    Lore
    Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject.
    Conservative
    Disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

The practice of hot rodding is traditional and passed down not so much the parts that are used, so my philosophy is this; if it makes it faster or better in some way, isnt that what the tradition is all about?
    While newer technology does make things easier and sometimes faster, it may not be considered traditional by some.
    How long until parts are considered traditional is my question?

21. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Look up the metal meet site. Lots of video's etc there to show you how to do lead.
    http://www.metalmeet.com/

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some folks just like living in a bubble.
    I asked earlier what defined traditional and had my thread shut down.
    I have no issues with traditional stuff that is why I am here, but it gets folks so defensive you wonder about it all.

I actually thought I had a handle on this theme but when folks start disagreeing and trying to be more pure about this stuff I got to say I am over it.

I say choose a theme and build your ride, use what you can afford and what works for you.
    Do the best you can and ask for help if the need be.
    If you get influenced by everybodies opinions you will just end up more confused.

Get 10 people in a room and ask them what traditional is and see what answers you get.

When I asked for a definition I was sincere as I was becoming confused with all the comments so I asked the question, but I have now worked out, there is no rule book and I will do it my way - how I see traditional, after all even back then, that is what they were doing, just happened as now that they worked with what they had.

Love me or hate me, I have said my piece.

23. repoguy

repoguy

Spiders are scary.

24. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

thanks dirtynails.

25. TomWar

TomWar

Everyone seems to be against Billet, But I have building Hot Rods since 1957, and I took machine shop in High School, and served my apprenticeship as a machinist/tool & die maker.
    I started making Billet parts for my cars in 1958. But if I was to try to show my car now in "Billetproof" they wouldn't let me in!
    I build a car they way I want it to Run and handle ....

26. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

tovars in hawaian gardens CA does it. not even a final putty coat to fill minor inconsitencies

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well thought out, and expressed. You certainly "get it".

28. Road Runner

Road Runner

It's not so important to fit into a box with some label on it or being accepted for what's visible to the eye only.

Traditions in the arts and cultures are as old as mankind.
    Yet, the 20th century has seen more advances and changes within a shorter timespan than ever before in human history.
    No wonder today so many feel a sense of nostalgia about a lifestyle when time seemed to stay still while having the freedom to feel speed on your on terms by whatever means available.

Some things from the past don't need change, others benefit from progress.
    Where the boundaries meet, cross or diverge are left to be determined by the individual mind and soul.
    Learning and passing on knowledge is more valuable than judging and directing.
    Individualism and originality always rules over conformity.

29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

exellent points from all, cool that you all seem to eat sleep and breath in the hobby.

you have the right to build what works for you, your budjet, lifestyle, reliability, speed and function.

but that does not change the definition of traditional. to build a circa 62 ish rod and install a vega box [ me] not true traditional for 1962 ! ! like building a 1948 ish rod without friction shocks. traditional is a historical carbon copy used to teach future generations how it used to be, mixing parts old and new is just straight foreward hot rodding

30. Sergeant_at_Arms

Sergeant_at_Arms
    from Tampa, FL

Do you ever think that one day someone will build a street rod and label it as a "traditional" 1980's street rod? To me its in no way traditional, but perhaps in 2020-30 it will be since people are still building street rods. We're getting older and later billet items may be considered "traditional" billet parts. Or better yet, how about a "traditional" 2009 rat rod? Ohhh the horror! I wonder if in the future I'll cringe at what categories are considered "traditional"? Sorry if I crossed a line, but I always wonder about things like this.

With all the turns hotrodding has made and different styles that have been created, the main thing which confuses me is; is it traditional or conservative?