Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Traditional garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 08racer, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

GTFatRatemail.jpg
    The main work shop.

Greaser Bob, 1947knuck, els and 9 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Old Garage

upload_2017-10-26_20-22-59.jpeg

It had lots of character, one of the smoothest concrete floors I've worked on
    and had vintage roots.
    Still think about it.
    That Ole Coupes got a 409 in it right now
    and darn near
    Ready to Rumble...right
    @Fitnessguy

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    1947knuck, LOU WELLS, els and 10 others like this.
  3. I'm just getting started! IMG_2751[1].JPG

1947knuck, LOU WELLS, els and 11 others like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1268.JPG This is traditional enough for me, I'm 73 and require light (never have enough) and heat and have collected enough "memorabilia" to cover all the walls plus others, just wish I had the skills that we think of when we think of "traditional". Does a flathead Studebaker six sitting on the floor add points:) I suspect that the 5.7 Litre OMC (Chevrolet) boat motor hanging on the engine stand isn't. IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1265.JPG

1947knuck, LOU WELLS, els and 16 others like this.
  5. @Stogy that picture is the whole reason for my bench and tool wall! Griespma's shop and coupe are the coolest!

6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

These are from GarageJournal.com. They so impressed me I’ve saved them for years!

Attached Files:

7. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

50 years ago I was working in a garage built in the late '30s that was 12 foot wide and 30 foot deep. To do serious work on one side, the other side of the car had to almost be touching the wall. A few years later I bought a house and had a garage that was 24'X48' with 20 8 foot fluorescent bulbs and I thought it was paradise.

rjones35, LOU WELLS, els and 5 others like this.
  8. That’s Nimrod’s shop I do believe?

els and Early Ironman like this.
  9. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Yes sir. I have cars for most of those engines. Once they are out of there, I can start making it my hang out spot again.

els likes this.
  10. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

Just hang a bunch of vintage car parts on your walls. I hear ya...you want to feel at one with your traditional roadster when you're in the garage. I have car parts hanging on peg board and on shelves in my garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

els and Stogy like this.
  11. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

12. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

13. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

1947knuck, els, UNSHINED 2 and 5 others like this.
  14. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

1947knuck, LOU WELLS, els and 6 others like this.
  15. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

This is what a shop looks like after you have spent your whole life messing with hot rods. IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0250.JPG

16. I think the floor in my new tiny shed is traditional.:D
    IMG_20171027_222516.jpg

17. BAAD32

BAAD32

18. rightcoast

rightcoast
    from palermo ny

19. LAROKE

LAROKE

Call it whatever you want. I call it a factory hot rod because it's a twin turbo, manual transmission (correct number of pedals), rear wheel drive, two door coupe. 464 horse, 445 lb-ft, 3.8 sec zero to sixty, 189 mph top speed. It's not your daddy's Caddy. You can call it luxury muscle, if you want or, one dope fly-ass whip, or whatever derogatory term you want. "That red thing" will do fine.

It's a daily driver (but I prefer driving my old, seat-of-the-pants, pickup trucks when they are running).

els, Poh and Early Ironman like this.
  20. Rich man's digs?

Ben

els likes this.
  21. I will never complain about the "mess" mine is in again. Never.:eek:. On the other hand, I would enjoy a few hours seeing what I could see.

More value in those tool boxes/cabinets than my house!

Ben

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

When it comes to cars, my interest is in the traditional. While I love old things the bottom line is that for the most part modern tools destroy old tools in ease of use and performance. We should all be well aware that the standards for build quality have increased exponentially over the years, and the ways in which cars were customized "back in the day" would no longer be remotely acceptable now. The game has changed and the tools that are used should too, even if the cars we're building are the same. If that comes at the expense of some of the "soul" of an old garage, then so be it. I strive to build the best to my abilities, I want tools that are going to help me achieve that.

els, biggeorge and Stogy like this.
  23. rightcoast

rightcoast
    from palermo ny

[​IMG]
    Different view of one corner of barn...kind of embarrassing...

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. rightcoast

rightcoast
    from palermo ny

[​IMG]
    My 29 model a. At one of the Club members garage / shop....breathe heavy every time I hang out or work there and time seems to move faster when in the shop....

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Holy shit! no tool boxes back then?

Stogy likes this.
  26. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Nimrods shop has always been a favorite. I already copied his car it would be weird to copy his shop as well.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your going to have no tool boxes that is the best thing to do.

Actually it is a organization method for tooling in industry which was big around the WWII years. Organized tooling largely disappeared for decades and now is more important than ever. Visual identification and carefully organized layout equals efficiency in the shop.

It still can be fun. Some of the shops depicted in this very thread have the tools in piles in drawers. Ya the sockets are there but after rifling thru them for 10 minutes I still can find it...maybe not. Stuff like that.

Toolboxes hide stuff and you have a tendency to pull many drawers to find what you're looking for.

I myself have about 7 mismatched toolboxes. It is space and asthetically kinda fugly. Good boxes but just too many and well it is what it is for now.

Organized is work but it is highly efficient and tool location and monitoring just works. @cactus1 is no doubt enjoying that form of layout and organization.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    barrnone50 and cactus1 like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

I want my garage space as functional as possible. Dont buy signs, hang more shelving for storage.

Get rid of all the chairs. I have 1 very uncomfortable vintage folding chair and some buckets if someone really wants to sit down.

impala4speed, Terrible80 and trollst like this.
  29. popeyes 66

popeyes 66

Some great looking garages! I don't think removing drywall from the walls is a good idea but you could get some reclaimed redwood siding from an old barn or some old corrugated metal and overlay the walls with that. Then start your collection of hanging of old signs, traditional parts, vintage tools and automotive memorabilia on the walls.

30. Get some shoes on that boy!

(Glad he's in the shop working with his hands, but seeing people barefoot in a workspace makes me cringe.)