Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Frame Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. Tim here with a question about traditional frame builds. We know that it was common to step the rear crossmember of a Model A frame. Even kick it up a few inches instead of a basic step. But how about the front?

When did folks start stepping the frame at right behind the cowl? Was this done in the 40's 50's?

I'm looking to get a Model A coupe kinda low and still have some good room in the cabin. Does anyone have pics of early cars that were done this way?
    Thanks for any help!
    Tim
    MBL

2. pecker head

pecker head

I did my front 7" . A old man I know said when he was a kid it was cheaper to put dropped axel and a lot easier ! I pm'ed you pic's of my junk .

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

ford started doing it in '32 :D

4. Ole don

Ole don

If you call "traditional" a car of the 40's and 50's, the frame was usually not cut because few people had welders then. The front had a reversed eye spring on a dropped axle. Look at some picture books of the old cars. "The American Hot Rod", by Dean Batchelor is one. "Hot Rods of The Forties" by Don Montgomery is another. Both are good reading.

5. MBL

MBL

I lean toward calling "traditional" 30's 40's 50's. Or at least that's the eras that interest me most. I have been involved in some 60's style builds, that's not really the look I am going for with this.

I do want to get the car low, but not dragging the ground. I'd like to get that book you reference. I plan on using a spring in front setup for the front axle. Like the Don Ferrara roadster. This is what I did with my Model T Roadster and the front of the frame is about right.
    Tim
    MBL

6. I think they would channel them the height of the frame, more likely than "Z" the frame, until the 60s.

7. MBL

MBL

Thanks for the feedback! So what I am getting here is that the step of the frame at the firewall was done mostly starting in the 60's. Prior to that, just in the rear. An to get lower, we should just be chanelling it. This is actually what I previously thought.
    Tim
    MBL

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

stepping the rear frame rail, really wasn't that common either.

10. MBL

MBL

Hey Rashy we miss you too over here! You gotta get over to Tampa to see the Degenerators fleet. It's getting pretty crazy. We can't walk for the actually running hot rods!? The projects are coming together really quick too.

Uncommon doesn't really bother me so much as long as it was done to some measureable degree in the 40's or 50's. I am pretty sure I have seen some pics of 40's rods with a rear step. Based on the info I am getting. I think I will chop and channel this Model a Coupe. I will need to extend the frame to run the spring behind, but may or may not "need" to step it in back. I don't think we will step it in front.
    Tim
    MBL

11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

they were definitely the exception. I know gene winfield built a 26/7 roadster that he took to the flats in the 40's. it was a big deal because it had a front step and a rear step. the car was on the ground and according to the rules could run with the highboys.

[​IMG]
    Gene parked his A-framed ’27 T next to his ’39 Merc convertible in front of his first shop. The building was a converted chicken coop. This remarkably low car competed at El Mirage and Reno in 1947 and 1948.

12. MBL

MBL

Hey, Hey...so this car is stepped in front and in the rear but the body is actually on top of the frame. Interesting. That is the kind of pic and early use evidence I am looking for. Now with a T, there is little cabin room to also channel, but in a Model A, channelling could also be done possibly. If needed. And it would be "correct" for what I am doing.

Any other pics that you know of?
    Tim
    MBL