Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional '58 Chevy Pickup Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

It has been a while since I updated this thread. the truck is almost done, it runs, the tranny works, the brakes work etc. It needs an exhaust system, and a few other odds and ends. It will go to the Ruidoso Rod Run in October.
    The front end is bolted on and this is how the truck will sit, no clip, Mustang II, airbags etc., just the stock straight axle flipped on top of the leaf springs. I want to change the wheels to a set of slot mags or chrome reverse wheels, but my dad likes the Minilites that are on it, which sucks because I have a couple of Mustangs that they would look perfect on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front bumper is a new one, the grille and everything else is original:
    [​IMG]
    I built the A/C vents to fit with the gauge panel:
    [​IMG]
    The carpet and seat are done. The A/C unit is from Old Air:
    [​IMG]
    The steering wheel is a from a '59 Impala:
    [​IMG]
    The engine compartment is pretty much done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Drive Em

Drive Em

We took the truck on it's maiden voyage today, and everything works great. The home brewed Autolite 3 x 2 carb setup on the 348 works slick as well. I cannot believe how nice the straight axle and leaf spring suspended truck rides, it rides nicer than my '93 F-150. The brakes work great and the power steering conversion is nice and tight. More to come

3. Traditional?

Seriously?

You're kidding me, right?

It's a nice truck, one I would be proud to drive (after you change the wheels)...

But it's HARDLY traditional.

I think you might be under the impression that keeping the solid axle makes it traditional...

Well, it doesn't.

I mean, it could on a traditional pickup (if there is such a thing)... it doesn't off set the billet air cleaner, aluminum radiator, power brake booster, MSD Box, Accel Super Coil, tilt wheel, Ford 9", five lug conversion and monochromatic grille...

My advice is to just call the thing a nice truck... a hot rod truck... a truck... instead of further watering down the name "traditional".

Did I mention I like your truck?!

Sam

D.Lee likes this.
  4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think Sam nailed it, great work, really really nice truck. Not really feeling it as traditional.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

Well call it what you like. I think a 348 powered straight axle equipped pick up is pretty cool, at least I didn't go down the MII- air bag or clip route. The wheels will be changed, and the grille came painted from the factory. Yes I used an MSD box triggered by a points distributor and an Accel coil, because I have used that same setup for years with no trouble on other vehicles. The air cleaner is cast and not billet.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The master cylinder, the Accel Super Coil, raised white letter tires, it's the details, I find the truck confused, but like was said nice truck and very nice work.

7. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Beautiful truck, beautiful workmanship. But any vehicle with air conditioning = not traditional.....not that I care!

Mine's painted with just primer, so it must be a rat rod. ;)

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hunh? Lot's of cars in the 50's had A/C and trucks too. Can't count one out for that. Now the new style compressor might, I tend to overlook them though.

9. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Yep. First thing we did when we were kids was to tear out the AC systems.....shave weight and shed HP losses. I laugh when I see people putting IN ac systems into 'hot rods". :)

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

who said it was a hot rod? it's a truck. and you live in New York, you would've seen a lot less of that in the South.

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Looks like a hot rod pickup to me. I was speaking in generalities. Hot rods around here were typically stripped of their AC systems as soon as they could. Maybe that's why our cars always put an ass-whoopin' on those from the south.....! :D

But enough hijacking, this truck is way cool. :)

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Funny thing I'm not from here so I could care less about your attempt at an insult, if you look the man lives in Texas, and Texas like North Carolina has had a record number of days over 100 this year, rock on with some A/C.

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Insult?? Where??? Dude, you got some ridiculously thin skin! Lighten up, Francis! :)

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Your insult to the south. Or do you have no short term memory? No thin skin here.

15. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

That was an insult to the south? Seriously??? Did you fail to see the smiley at the end of the sentence? Yikes, man!

Over and out.

16. Drive Em

Drive Em

My dad is 68 years old and itching to drive the truck again. (the last time was in '84) He wanted A/C because my dad and mom are going to cruise around in it, that is why I also installed power brakes and power steering. He always hated the M/C under the floor, so I adapted the whole pedal support, brake pedal, booster and M/C from an F-150 pickup. (it is almost a bolt in) When I get some time I am going to install a cast iron M/C. He also liked the wheels from all the wheels I had laying around, but we are going with chrome reverse wheels in a few months. He also wanted the white letter tires because that is the way the truck was in the 60's. It may not fit the whole traditional vibe as some purists call it, but he has owned it since the mid 60's and we did all the work on it ourselves including the paint so that is good enough for me.

17. F&J

F&J

Great job on taking care of Dad. :)

Hope he enjoys the ride.

18. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

It's an awesome truck, you're doing a great job. Keep it going, and keep posting up progress pix! If you check my Album, you'll see that I love these trucks too. :)

19. Absolutely cool that your dad is going to drive the wheels off of it!

Sorry to get it off track...

Now that you know... maybe you too can help police this place on traditional correctness.

I can't do it all by myself! Hahahahaha!!

Sam

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Be nice boys....

You really have to see this truck in person to fully appreciate it. I was blown away when I dropped in and caught it mid-build.

Keep us posted Tom.

21. 2580

from Austin,TX

When doing the front axle flip, did you actually need the c-notch for it not to hit? I am considering doing this to mine also except it only has the original 6cyl in it and may not be as heavy.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

the 6 is heavier than a small block...

23. you truck is great! I love the solid front axle. Axle dropped and flipped or just flipped? I"m interested in doing a flip with a drop axle. Any suggestions after doing your flip?

24. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Like zman said, the 6 is heavier than sbc. Its also heavier than a Cadillac 390. My buddy Dustin (sinticket here) has a '57 with the flipped front axle. His required notching the frame.

25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

nice thread. love em!

26. DRantiquecarparts

DRantiquecarparts

Nice your truck is looking great.

27. Luther Grimace

Luther Grimace

I'm digging the flipped front axle. Sounds like the bump steer wasn't really a problem. I am thinking about trying this on my 53 Chevy with a dropped axle. Really nice work.

28. riley58

riley58

I have read this thread several times and it still blows me away on the work you did !!

that truck is awsome !!

29. dubie

dubie

The truck looks incredible. Do you have any updates pictures of it? I'd love to see it outside from a distance away. We're going to be starting on the same suspension drop on my 56 next weekend. The stance is perfect