Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trading hot rods and customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 22, 2020.

1. I recently replied to a thread that Fordor Ron posted a few years ago which is ongoing to this day and it reminded me of the trade he & I did a while back, I traded him my slick red 32 Tudor sedan for his primered hiboy fordor sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photo courtesy of seadog.

We both got what we wanted and I couldn't have had a more pleasant experience with someone a thousand miles away, racinman Rick took care of the hauling both ways.

Have any of you guys traded instead of selling? HRP

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. unfinished

unfinished

I traded a 4 door sedan 1936 Plymouth (which had all new Chevy innards) and just a few pictures of Grover Cleveland for my 1934 Plymouth coupe avatar. I never thought I would find an affordable coupe so I traded for a lifelong dream. The coupe only had 300 miles on all new Plymouth drivetrain. Now I am a Chevy guy, and own other Chevys, but it's beginning to look like I am a mopar guy in denial.

Attached Files:

3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Vehicle desirability and condition are usually the backbone why people trade. Usually someone will trade a desired vehicle style that is in demand but in poor condition requiring much more work or finances for something less desirable but requiring less work. Most of us without the proper skills or experiences bite off more than we<can handle causing the project to bog down and sit in the corner of the garage until we see we see that advertisement in the paper offering a four door sedan that can be driven home for our project vehicle. I would say the best advise that I was given, and advice that I wish that I had follow (sometimes) would be, "if you buy it, take it apart, finish it and then get rid of it".

48fordnut, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Traded an OT BB Monte Carlo for a complete Chevy II powered midget race car set-up. GMC Hauler and spares. I was racing sprints at the time, and kinda liked the simplicity of the midgets. No trailer to drag around and only half of the plugs, wires, and injectors. Loved the baby tires too. Had to extend the foot boxes some, and the quick release steering wheel became more like a 'wait a minute, I'll suck in my gut' release steering wheel. As I remember, the guy I got the car from wasn't real happy, but his wife was over the moon. Seems she was tired of supporting his 'ricky racer' dreams and had laid down the law. So, two out of three were happy with the deal. Raced it a few times, but it didn't provide the kick my sprint did, so I sold it. No trades.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Trading is how I got my avatar Lincoln < I traded my ot 74 Maverick Grabber clone for it. Maverick was a finished car that I built and drove for a few years before I ran across the Lincoln. Have ended up completely changing everything on the Lincoln that had been done to it, and still not finished. Maybe some day......

6. ... Traded this 31 Model A coupe 27 years ago for my '35 coupe ...

31 ford.jpg 20180607_122415.jpg

7. Traded my '68 Triumph Spitfire powered with a 327, for a '50 Dodge powered with a 318, for my '23 Ford powered by a 283. Who the hell knows what's next... 20190816_091032.jpg 0519181041c.jpg 20200830_160544.jpg

8. j3harleys

j3harleys

I traded my 32 roadster for a 27 roadster. Hey! it was with my grandson and he knows how to work grandpa. He named it the Lucky Bastard Roadster Because every one at the dirt drags told him he was a 604 (1).jpeg 615.jpeg lucky little bastard

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  9. Such a generous grandpa, Would you like to adopt a 70 year old geriatric delinquent? :D HRP

10. I don't know... that is one sweet lookin T!

11. I traded a rusty 58 Ford convertible even for a pretty solid 35 Dodge pickup truck a few years back. Photos are on a dead computer drive. Had to sell the Dodge pickup later, too bad, it was going to be a nice looking truck.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I traded a off topic car for this.

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS, King ford, BigO and 11 others like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I traded a guy $420 Scan0607.jpg dollars and 7 Hot Wheels valued at $180 dollars for this.

14. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Geriatric Delinquents. Great name for a geezer hot rod club.

Lee

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1974 I sold my 48 for 400 because I really wanted a 56 Big window 3100 after a couple of wild goose chases I bought a 57 Chevy panel with a 327 in it that had and Engle cam, Jahns 12.5 pistons, double hump heads and an early Corvette Dual 4 intake. It still had the pipes in the back to hang clothes on when it had been a dry cleaners delivery rig. My buddy hauled it home on his trailer for me and we got it sorted out and it was an absolute beast. It ate premium gas like a bar fly on cheap drink night but would hold it's own against a 750 Honda in a street race.
    I decided that I wanted something else and put it up for sale and was driving though the college campus on the way to class one day and there sat my old truck with a red with yellow flame paint job. The guy hollered out that "I'll trade you" and I hollered back "lets do it" The truck came back with an M21 Muncie in it and a rather suspect shifter. I found out that he was more than a bit of a womanizer when some guy chased me down and then figured out that it wasn't him driving the truck but a guy who was about 250 and looked meaner than hell. I even had a hottie come up to the truck at a burger joint one day all ready to hop in. I never did get a 56 big window.

16. j3harleys

j3harleys

I will put you on the list. It's pretty long so it may be awhile:D

17. j3harleys

j3harleys

WE put that together for him to race at the Hot Rod Dirt Drags when he was 12. Last year he told me he was getting pretty big and was probably going to be needing a 32. I had no choice. I can't say no to him.

18. Traded my Model A for an OT car a couple of years ago. I live in Sweden and the guy with the OT car was from Holland. Met up in the south of Denmark (half way between my home town and his), test drove the car, swapped cars and papers, loaded the car on the trailer and turned back home.

Almost 900 miles in one day... :confused:

19. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i will play..what do you have

Attached Files:

20. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

Johnny that is one sweet coupe you have, keep this one .you have had so many rods in the past. We miss you around here, the guys say hi. Rick

21. j3harleys

j3harleys

hey Rick good to hear from you. You know me every time I see a car with a for sale sign I start thinking, And I'm not good at thinking. The only thing i miss about living in town is breakfast with every body. Tell them HI for me.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. I traded the 4 door I got from Ron -

[​IMG]

to Jim I Knoxville. Tennessee for this '32 Ford 5 window. HRP

[​IMG]

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Back in 97 I traded my 53 Merc flathead powered 40 Ford coupe for my 51 Merc. Plus a gazzilion other swaps and trades of cars and parts and harley's over the years. Always seems to work out better for me than straight up buy or sell deals! Larry

24. Larry, it's worked well for me also but I am down to keepers now and don't have a car I am willing to let go, so my next car I will have to trade a stack of Benjamin's. :rolleyes: HRP

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never have--just sell em and buy another project to build. One exception was a Big MBZ 6.9 V8 sedan given to me by my grandfather in the late 80's. Quite a car and very fast but $$$$ for any and everything-a real money pit!!-traded it for a nice 55 210 with a hot 327 etc. and was happy to see the MBZ go away. (wife liked it)

26. I used to trade fairly regularly, but haven’t in several years. Most memorable trades were a 62 bug for a 55 F100 and some cash that I later traded for an OT truck and more cash. I also remember taking a Sportster in trade on my shovelhead FLH that I later traded for a 74 Corvette. Oh, and I took a 67 Cutlass as part trade on my 64 GTO too... I pretty much always say that I will consider trades even now if I am selling something...just hasn’t been anything I have wanted to trade for in a long time.

27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Danny, I am kind of in the same boat. Between my Mercs, Mustangs and one 55 Chevy I have a handful that I have no interest in selling, mostly because except for the 64 Marauder, I have own all of them at least 20 years or more. There are a few project cars in the barn and my 2 remaining Harleys that could go to new homes. I do not ride the bikes anymore due to damage to my right eye from shingles. the last couple times I road I found myself going into curves a little "HOT" and what use to be the trill of youth became the fear of death to a 63 year old! lol But considering what the market value is today I will probley keep polishing them and taking them down the road and back to keep them up and running. But possible trades are always interesting!;);) Larry

28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

swapped some cash and a off topic car for my new ride.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I swapped my Falcon street gasser that was a vey nice car for a pro-street O/T 69 Mach 1 that needed a few things. The Falcon didn't sell and after trying for 2 months to find a buyer I traded for the Mustang.
    Worked on it for a month and sold it within the first week for asking price. A win for me.

30. Any more? HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.