Register now to get rid of these ads!

trading for a 62' impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

so change of plans..... i have a 2003 ssr that i use as a daily driver, but i actually only drive it 3 days a week because of i drive the 53' plymouth twice a week and on sunday, and the fact that since it is a 2 seater my wife and new baby boy cant ride in it at the same time. For these reasons we decided to sell it and get something that would fit all three of us easily. my wife found a car she likes. it is a 62 impala ss that has a documented 44k miles and has had a frame off restoration. the seller want to by a ssr so it makes since to do a even trade. here are the questions:
    1. would you make a even trade? the ssr value is 18-24k the impala is 24k-28k?
    2. how do you do a no cost vehical switch?
    3. is the impala a good choice as a daily driver? it has been 500 miles and 12 months since the frame off restoration. every step is documented by photos and recipets (4" thick binder comes with the car.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a few more pics..
    http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x117/ykp53/Impala/?albumview=slideshow

2. Cruiser

Cruiser

ykp53<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5685474", true); </SCRIPT> - If, your values a right I'd say go for it in a trade. I had a '62 Impala and it was a good driver lots of room in the car and trunk. Keep an eye on the Impala people like to steal these cars. I, traded my '62 Impala for a very cool '89 GMC truck about six years ago and it has workout for me, I'm very happy with the truck. The car needs some wide white walls.

CRUISER :cool:

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Anybody can buy an SSR. Personnaly I wouldn't even want one. I'd take the Impala over the ssr any day.

4. Nice car...62 is my favorite of the 61-64s. Personally, I'd update it a little to make it more dependable and safer to drive at todays hiway speeds.
    I'd swap to a dual chamber master cylinder with a disc brake kit for the front. I'd also swap out the old 2-prong alternator for an easier-to-find, modern single-wire job.
    I believe a modern 605 PS gearbox bolts in place of the old stocker but my choice would be a 70s trans-am-Z-28 varable ratio steering gear with the big trans-am/Z-28 1.25" front stabilizer bar.
    I think I'd leave the 2 piece driveshaft but put a nice, quality new carrier bearing in it. The self-adjuster brake kit from a 65-66 impala should fit the rear brakes ok and helps to keep the rear brakes in correct adjustment.
    Finally, I like swapping out the ign points/condensor for a pertronix kit. I've done it on several of my older cars and it makes for a trouble-free ignition system. Keep a spare module in the glove box just like we use to keep a spare set of points and a condenser in the car..just in case.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I`d say go for it, the Impala looks sweet.

6. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Absolutely trade! Lots of SSR's available if you look a bit, but not many 62 Impalas. If you miss the SSR in a year, go buy another, but keep the Impala. Your state title bureau will tell you how to do a trade or perhaps a tax free "family transfer" ??

7. Muttley

Muttley

Get over there now and do the trade before the other guy sobers up.

8. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I will only speak to the third question... As I don't keep up on the values
    I had a 62 Impala I used as a family cruiser ,daily driver,even hot rodded it a little had every engine from a 283 to a 400 sbc
    A/C is nice to have. YES Get the good center support bearing on the driveshaft and check the rear axle bearings. 3:36 is a good choice for gears

I am not big on dual master cyl or electronic ign but that is a whole other discussion
    Alternator is a good idea.

I have installed at least 8 front disc brake setups.. BUT if you run metallic linings and ark them to the drums the stockers will stop almost as good.

Yes Camaro & T/A are good steering boxes and sway bars are a good idea

Over the years I have had at least 7 62s and still have one. They are GREAT cars

9. I vote do it! That funny plastic pickup you have will only go down in value. If your wife can keep 4 corners on the impala you will have an asset the whole family can enjoy, and it won't drop in value.
    My wife and I used a '63 impala wagon as our daily driven family car for a few years and we both really enjoyed it.