Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traded my Pontiac for a whole CREW!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blam, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Blam

Blam

Well it was a sad day, but last week i sold my '60 Pontiac, which i had took across the country and back, to pay some bills, but fortunately i had some money left over to bring in a whole new fleet!

I got a '66 Econoline 8 Door! I'm pretty excited about, i know these things are kinda hit or miss with a lot of folks, but i've always dug these things!

The Econo came with some Frankenstien 1950's Cushman scooter. It's fun as hell and RIPS!

And the guy that bought my Ventura gave me a 1970 Honda SL350 that has been all cafe'd out, for $500 towards the car.

All in all not a bad deal.

Here was my Pontiac:
    [​IMG]

Here is the van:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cushman:
    [​IMG]

The Honda:
    [​IMG]

And here is the whole family!
    [​IMG]

2. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

And if you put the bikes in the back, it will only take up one garage stall! :D

3. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Sad to see the Pontiac go, but that Econoline is cool! Just the right number of windows and doors.

4. Cool trade - Always liked Econolines and the Cushman will make a fun toy, too.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the van.

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Neat van. I didn't know the old Econoline could be had in an 8-door!

6. Looks like you got a real good deal......enjoy them.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That Honda is rad.

8. got rid of a poncho for a bunch of crap

9. Good morning to you too Sir!:rolleyes:

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

The Econo is really cool. Throw some 60's period mags on it and put a hippy interior in it and cruise it.

11. Cool collection. I REALLY like the cafe! I go weak in the knees when I see a cool cafe'd Honda!

12. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

The Econoline with left-side doors is pretty rare

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a pretty straight van. Those old buggers are pretty simple and easy to work on except the positions you get in when working on the engine.

I don't ever remember seeing one with the extra doors. A good pair of passenger side doors with windows and the kids will be able to see out both sides.

It looks likes like simple low cost fun if you don't go nuts with paint or interior.

14. sololobo

sololobo

HMMMM, I have never seen an 8 door Econoline, very unique. I have a soft spot for the Pontiac, I drove my buddies high school grad present at the drags for him. 389 -3/2's, beefy cam,headers, 4 spd, 3:90 posi, won our class a lot. Good luc k with the project, the scooter and bike are sweet, home of the Cushman, Lincoln, Ne. just 50 miles down the road. ~Sololobo~

15. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

cool, so what do you have planned for the van?

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Econo and Honda are cool and all, but I hope you got a butt load of cash too. That Poncho is a great looking car.

17. Blam

Blam

I got what I needed outta the Pontiac. I just got some new wheels and tires on the van yesterday. Just some 14" steelies and some thin WW tires looks real sharp. I'm not gonna go to crazy on the van, just straighten it out get it a little lower, and paint it. It leaks oil like nothing I've ever seen before so I'd like to take care of that asap. Any thoughts on where to find a leak on these old 240's?

18. retromotors

retromotors

Not certain on this, but I thought those mostly had 170 and 200 ci engines.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

with the double doors you need to find some skate punks who think they can jump through the van and land on the board on the other side. should make for some entertaining video.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrong. He sold his Poncho to pay some bills...an honorable decision. The crap is additional.

Ya did good, BLAM. You paid some bills, and were able to still end up with some stuff...uh, crap...to mess around with. Don't feel too bad about having to sell your Pontiac...you're young, and there are lots of other old cars out there...maybe some you'd like even better. (Think older.) I had to sell my '37 Chevy coupe last fall...not something I wanted to do, but my wife and I are still living here on the farm because of it. Good luck with your van and bikes. Good luck with everything. :)

21. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Nice work!!! on to the next one!!!!

22. Zerk

Zerk

If that's a 240 six in the Econoline, I'd say you did well. A tough workhorse of an engine. What trans is in it? Dropping a manual trans in order to do a rear main seal might not be so bad.
    Best advice about finding the leak: clean the engine and see what you can see.

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

The 8 doors aren't exactly "rare", but they certainly aren't common. I looked for one for years but could only find them in the PNW.

The 240 is probably the best engine you coul've got. That means you have the 9" rear instead of the puny 7". That also means you can drop in a 300 or 289/302 easily and not have to worry about changing the trans, radiator, throttle cable, or rear end. But, the 240 is a good motor and plenty strong. Plus, I think the intake can be swapped for something more "fun". The 144/170s had intakes cast into the head.

24. 62cadd

62cadd

Good deal, the poncho was bad ass, but I know in time you'll make the Econo look bitchin! the toys are cool too, good luck with them...

25. indyjps

indyjps

Pop the engine cover and look for the bolt that you can barely see and never reach - theres your leaker.

Too bad the Pontiac had to go - taking care of bills / life / family is more important, got a couple new toys or trade material in the process

26. The Fords, Dodges and GM vans then could also be had with NO side doors, curbside doors, or like above, doors on both sides. With and without door windows, too. I'm liking that van!

27. The Fords, Dodges and GM vans then could also be had with NO side doors, just the rear and curbside doors, or like above, doors on both sides. With and without door windows, too. I'm liking that van!

28. Blam

Blam

Hey that's good to here! I was curious if there were any cool intake options but i hadn't got around to looking for any. My plan was to run the 240 until it craps out and then swap in a 289 for a little extra power.

Aside from the leaking this motor runs great! i forgot to mention the best part of this whole deal is that i picked the van up in Lewiston idaho, about 300 miles north of Boise here, and drove it home without any problems at all! I got some new wheels and tires put on the other day and it's looking sharp, hopefully i can get it a little lower after work some night this week.

29. John B

John B

No picture of the van with it's new shoes?

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I would imagine a late model 300 would come up close to the power of a 289 and be a direct replacemnt for the 240 in your E-van.