Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Trade offered, need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnus, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I put up my 55 wagon gasser for sale as I lost my storage place and now have a regular garage to work in, can't even open both doors on my car. Anyhow, I got a trade offer for this 60's custom which looked nice, but now has been under engine compartment fire. What happens to the metal in the fire wall, is it useable or just scrap? The whole dashboard is destroyed but that should be no problem to swap. I might consider a trade but will certainly need you guys advices, not sure if I can find the energy to restore it.
    PS anyone knows about the car? It has been featured in some custom book. The car's called slippy lipp
    IF i trade it I need to find storage for quite some time.

Attached Files:

2. koolkat269

koolkat269

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what an awsome car. can't say much more than that other than its really unfortunate it caught fire.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Got any pics of the gasser?The custom like you say needs alot of work,which means money. That was one hell of a burnup. You can probably sell the gasser and buy the project outright and have cash to put into it.

6. Looks like it got pretty hot. I would probably just hang onto my gasser if it were me.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

So you're selling one car because you lost storage, but taking a trade that requires storage? And you may not be able to finish the trade car for who knows how long? Sounds like some bad ideas to me. Cash is easier to store.

8. ols'kool

ols'kool
    from Wisconsin

If you do, I would say that it might be a good trade. You have a gasser now but possibly trading for a custom. Totally different cars. The custom will need some work but can be done. I think it would be an easier car to drive than a gasser and probably a good cruiser.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. Ole don

Ole don

Make two lists. One, you have a car that you know, and you need a place to keep it. Two, you have a car that needs considerable work, you know nothing about the car, and you need a place to keep it.
    I get the feeling you would kick yourself two years from now if the gasser went.
    Rent storage.

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

If your gasser doesnt fit in your garage that boat wont either!, and you will need more than both doors open to fix the custom. I have always been told, metal that has been thur a fire will never be the same due to the aneeling effect and all the bondo will will become brittle and fall off. I say the the custom is about $10-$15 grand to repair.

Good Luck,
    MrC.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sometimes, getting there is half the fun...I purchased a pile of junk ISCA 1964-67 champion radical kustom survivor off a used car lot in 1984...took 6 1/2 years to redo all of it...

But it was more fun doing the research on the car, rebuilding the body and redoing what passed for kustom work back then...and some of it was not good. But it has won many trophies/awards and cash paid appearances since then.

IF you've got the ROOM and the TIME and energy, EVERYONE has a '55 Chev it seems, that kustom is one of a kind. You won't have someone else with a like car parking next to you at a rod run...!!!

R-

12. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

You'll have a hell of a time working on this in your garage won't you??

13. Since you are asking for advise,,keep the wagon,you know what you have the custom WILL be a can of worms! HRP

14. It takes a lot of time , energy,and cash to finish any project . I would take a pass on a burned car but thats just me. Sad to see a cool custom in that shape

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

RUN AWAY......DO NOT WALK AWAY............what happened to the metal is the least of your problems with that project. In my opinion, you'd be better off to just give your gasser to this guy and let him keep the burner. You'd come out ahead compared to trying to fix that thing.

Burn jobs are far more difficult/messy than any wreck/flood etc.

Ray

16. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

The Olds was a cool piece but that has probably changed forever, even if the guy gave you the Olds it would be an endless money pit.Like Ray said Run don't walk away from this one.

17. oldschoolgasser55

oldschoolgasser55

id say keep the 55

post pics please !

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

As cool as it WAS....it ain't now. That's Pandora's box just waiting to be opened but as said by many here, DON'T DO IT!!!!!! There's no way of knowing how much more damage has been done other than what you can see and there could be considerably more.

19. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I would also recommend not taking the trade. I have nothing to say that hasn't been said already.

20. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Always Trade Up. This seems like a trade down to me.

I think this custom is best left to someone with a big shop, and a fair amount of cash to spare to resurrect it.

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Car would have to be stripped down to bare and checked for warpage on every pannel... firewall buckle could lead to pillars being in bind or fender alignment issues that will never be fixable witout releasing the pressure of the warped pannels... its tons more work than your gasser... I say steer clear unless you are in love with it but know this going in its alot of work and most look good till you block it for paint and see the different issues etc...

22. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Well guys, the planning is half the fun, and I'd figure to find a cheap storage for a while during my hunt for a better shop, but still I think it's a ton of work on the custom.Sweet car though. I'd better pass, but....
    Here's a shot of the chevy

Attached Files:

23. Muttley

Muttley

Good choice. ;)

24. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

well since your mind is already made up... trade