Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trade my Rocket bird for a Galaxie 500 XL Conv.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedchop, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Guys
    I need some advice on this one. I have a Thunderbird 62 hardtop and I just got a trade offer for a 1965 Galaxie 500 XL convertible. I kinda like both cars even if I'm into the mild custom thingie.. However, a convertible is still a convertible... Both cars in similar condition. in Sweden the Galaxie would be valued slightly higher, at least from a monetary perspective.

Any advice on how to deal with this is highly appreciated and no, can't afford both ;)

Cheers/ Speedy

2. Peelout30

Peelout30
    from Missouri

If you see yourself selling the galaxie it would make sense for the monetary difference, but if you love your t-bird that can be worth more personally in 65 when ford changed the styling of the galaxie it wasn't for the better. There are worse problems to have in life though (haha) good luck

3. Rob68

Rob68

Keep the Bird. Custom from the factory. And what Peelout30 said about style change.

4. Boones

Boones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am a convertible fan. I would go that way if it was me. Convert will be worth more in the long run.

5. williamtunnell

williamtunnell

Id do the trade if you're convinced the cars are in similar condition. A convertible Galaxy will always out-value a T-bird of those years. It would be a good trade down the road ...that is unless your Thunderbird has some family or sentimental value. If it did, I assume you wouldn't be considering the trade. Do you have pictures of them?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Yutan Flash

Yutan Flash
    from Gretna, NE

If it were a '60-'64 Galaxie convertible in the same condition I'd trade in a heartbeat because I'm partial to them, but because I've had my '63 T-bird since 1981, sentimentality has me really fubar'ed. Trade for the '65 only if it were in better condition.

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

From a custom point of view. A 62 Bird In my opinion is a much cooler design, with a lot more potential than a 64 Galaxie, This bird for example, didn't take much work to make a nice mild custom. I don't know if you could ever make a 64 Galaxie look this nice, but that's just my opinion.

Attached Files:

8. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Guys,
    Thanks for the input!! Much appreciated :) Eventually decided to keep the 'ol Bird. It carries no sentimental value nor will it bring in the heavy dough but, I really like the design and it's really unique. I also get to finalize my plans on a mild custom not unlike what Russco posted :) Besides, the kids love it...

Cheers/ Speedy