Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods trade advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62cadd, Oct 10, 2014.

1. 62cadd

62cadd

Advice , opinions needed ..got a 56 chevy truck for sale/trade here asking 12k guy comes and offers me this 60 El Camino I really dig the Elko and know its rare but I don't think its comparable in price.. what you guys think ?

DSC09933.JPG DSC09933.JPG DSC09940.JPG DSC09944.JPG DSC09933.JPG DSC09940.JPG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. With no real details on either it's hard to answer your question.

3. flathead okie

flathead okie

I like both, neither look perfect. If both ran and drove good, I would consider a trade. The El Camino looks sportier and the truck would haul more. Which do you prefer? That's about what it amounts to.

4. 62cadd

62cadd

My truck got a rebuilt 400ci, 700r tranny 25 miles on them,Corvette rear end,.. El Camino got 301 (283 bored out) auto,runs good has minimal rust issues,...

Attached Files:

5. 62cadd

62cadd

I like the Elko more but got some $$ tide up in my truck

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. has your 56 been wrecked? With the different hood & fenders on the El Camino I would think there is a great possibility it has. Can you do a car fax on the El Camino?
    Good luck either way. Jimmie

7. 62cadd

62cadd

no mine has not , the elko I don't know guy sys the elko was going to get painted soon ..

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Go for it and find a 409 to put in that baby.

62cadd likes this.
  9. 62cadd

62cadd

no money ..lol..

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I like the truck better , but I don't own either of them so the choice really is up to you , you have to look at it in the driveway

11. 62cadd

62cadd

thanks for the replys

12. Whatever makes ya both happy...................

13. I like the El Camino,I like the truck...sometimes you have to forget money and go with your heart. HRP

brokenspoke and 62cadd like this.
  14. 62cadd

62cadd

right it all comes down to that.. mmm .. well I guess I have to give it some serious thought.. thanks to all for the advices..

15. If it was me, that truck would stay where it is. and the elko could roll along

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Isn't this the truck you were asking about trading for a '58 Chevy Biscayne 2 door a few weeks ago?

Ray

17. Basically,asking for opinions here on the hamb will get you almost every conceivable answer known to man,trade,don't trade,sell ,don't sell,he owes you,you owe him..what it boils down to if you both are happy make the deal if not hold off for a better offer. HRP

i.rant likes this.
  18. slowmotion

slowmotion

If the Elky is mechanically & structurally sound, & a good driver, I'd be damn tempted. (but I'm a big elky fan.)
    Those '59-'60 elky's are in a class of their own. Rocketships on wheels.
    (not taking anything away from your truck, it's very nice)

19. 53 ford

53 ford

I would trade. You must be tired of the tuck or you wouldn't consider it. At least you could roll the window up if it rains.

62cadd likes this.
  20. Muttley

Muttley

I have a personal policy regarding any/all of my vehicles...................the first time I walk into my garage, see my car and think "whatever" to myself it goes up for sale/trade. It sounds to me like you have reached that point. If the El Camino has no signifigant issues (especially frame/body wise) I'd do the trade. You may come out of deal a little on the negative side dollar wise but in the long run getting what you want is worth more than a few bucks.

21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

From the pics, your truck and elky look to be in comparable condition....the elky has some minor rust and primed front clip, but the body lines on the truck are not as clean so from that point I'd say it would be a good trade. The driveline would then need to be compared, if the elkys driveline is fresh, I would think trade would be fair. Bottom line is it is your truck, do what you feel best. Good luck...

62cadd likes this.
  22. deto

deto

Were you planning on taking the truck to the next level? Here's why I ask... Unless the truck is the end all be all for you, then keep it. Trucks don't retain sweat equity as well as cars do when it comes time to flip them. Now if you're wanting to continue down the path of improvement and move in a note traditional direction I would do the swap. I'm using "investment" for lack of a better term because for 99% of us investment is car currency. The elco if improved will allow you to have more hot rod equity if you decide to move on. It sounds like the guy with the elco is willing to give up some cool factor for a well put together ride that has a very nice chassis and drive train. I would do it, but wtf do I know. I have pissed away more money on projects than I care to admit

62cadd likes this.
  23. papajohn

papajohn

I like the elcamino personally. Maybe you could swap rollers. Keep your 400 and he could keep his 301.

Good luck.

24. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Keep the truck and buy the Elko. No brainer. I want both of them!

62cadd likes this.
  25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

They are comparable from a price/desirability standpoint, I would really dig into the "minimal rust issues" so there are no more surprises there and whether the el camino is really what you want.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Trade the truck for a Ford. Problem solved.

27. retromotors

retromotors

If I'm reading the above right, you've got a grand total of 25 miles on your current engine / trans and you've already had your truck up for sale or trade, possibly twice .....?
    Apparently you're not too impressed with what you have now, so I'd trade.o_O

62cadd likes this.
  28. I'm going to jump on what Deto and Joeycarpunk said, the El Camino is definitly rarer, but rust repair is expensive. Do you have the skills or connections to get it done reasonably?

29. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

You have a very nice truck, but there is more I like about the El Camino. I like the seats and console, '65 Impala SS? Some pinner whites and an altitude adjustment and you're on the way to a cool cruiser. Swap, swap, swap as long as it isn't bent or rotten.

62cadd likes this.
  30. 62cadd

62cadd

No the car isn't bad as far as rust, its got a golf size hole on the rear fender ans some bubling here and there nothing to extensive guy says he'll throw in a grand , working on getting another grand make it it 2 grand and the elko.. lets see

Oh and also yes I did post it another time asking about another trade..