Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Traction Master" Fabrication

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nugget32, Apr 12, 2012.

1. nugget32

nugget32

Need some help on locating the front pivot point in relation to the front mounting point of the leaf spring. The car is a 37 Chev with stock type rear springs. I'm building a set of Traction bars with the rear mount being around the center of the U-bolt pattern. Where should the front pivot point of the bar be located to not have the bar fighting the spring or binding. My thought is it should be directly beneath the spring pivot bolt.

2. The idea is to keep the rear end from wrapping up. So what we used to do is mount the traction bar plate to the spring mount pad with the 4 bolts, and make the bars long enough to extend about 1/3 of the way to the front mounting bracket. When the spring starts to wrap up the rubber snubber will contact the leaf spring and stop it from wrapping any further. Seemed to work alright in 1966 on my 57 Chevy. Now if you're talking about Ladder bars, then I don't know.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those are 'slappers'. He said 'Traction Masters'. The bar (1.125" round DOM tubing, .095" wall) from below the center of the spring plate to just ahead of the spring front attachment point. (Traction Masters should not contact the spring at any point)

Google: Traction Master Company (The real stuff.)

4. The front of the traction bars should end right under the spring-bolt,if it's too short and are hitting the spring it can bend the spring when pushed against it under load.
    "lot's of power and grip needed
    ..."

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

6. 432bullet

432bullet

Traction master is still in business. I bought a set for my 63.5 Galaxie last year.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

8. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

The earliest GT350's (1965's and very early 1966's) used an "overrider" traction bar. They mounted atop the axle housing, passed through the rear floor, and attached to brackets inside the passenger compartment. Later 1966's used the undermount Traction masters ... can't recall how long they were used in the GT350/500 product line. If you look at Tony Branda's Shelby site, he has some repops available.

9. Heo2

Heo2

U R Right

10. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

That cool, I thought they were long gone.. still running their shocks on my '55 from the 60's.. still working fine .....