Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tracking down an old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MetallicaMatt, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

I'm trying to track down a car that used to belong to my father. It's a 1931 Model A, street rod. Around 11 years ago, he sold it in Autotrader (we live in Ohio) to someone in Littleton, CO. Or that general area...it's about all we know.

It was a 5 window coupe, rumble seat, red.

I can provide more detail, but I would really like to track down this car.

If anybody knows of the car, or has suggestions or recommendations of where to look, I would really appreciate it. I figured I'd have to take out an add in a local paper, magazine, etc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Put an ad in the Littleton Craigslist, Auto Trader or whatever......might work

3. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

There is a pretty big hot rod community in that part of Colorado. A picture would certainly help.

4. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

if you post a pic here, you might not need to look any further, this place amazes me sometimes with the quick responses.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

3W coupe Model A, that should narrow it down...

6. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

Right now, we don't have any digital copies of the car. I'm working on getting some scanned in.

So, for now, I figured I would see if anyone knew that person off the bat. Hopefully have a picture in a few days.

7. 32Rules

32Rules

When I wanted to track down one of my old cars I went to my insurance company because they have to keep the vin numbers. Took the vin to the Bmv and for five bucks had what I needed

8. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

I tried something similar to that at the BMV last year, but with all of the privacy laws now, they wouldn't give me any information unless I had the title...which of course I don't have, that's what I'm trying to figure out....the lady there was pretty confused!

9. x2.... heard they are really rare:p

10. Leatherback, or sport coupe, whatever the one with the coupe doors and the soft top is called.

11. RAY With

RAY With

Good luck. I been trying to to locate my 34 choped coupe I bought from Barris in 1957 and started looking in 1960 and to date no trace of it. Hope you fair a little better than I have

12. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

Finally found some pictures from 1997.

[​IMG]

13. I don't have any idea about that car but it is beutiful. I hope you can find the car and get it back in the family.

14. Looks like a 5-window to me. Without the serial number the car is titled with it's probably going to be near impossible to find it without getting really lucky.

15. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

yes, 5 window...I'm not sure why I put 3! I corrected my original post.

16. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

A friend of mine lives in Littleton, I forwarded him this thread. I live right near there but that car doesn't look familiar. Do you know who you sold it to??

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

all i know is have faith! ive been looking for a few years and just found my pops old Ariel by accident a couple of months ago that he sold in 1987, it hadn't been altered at all in all that time! although...a little more paint had fell off:rolleyes:. i hope you find it, good luck and dont give up!

Attached Files:

18. I live in the Littleton area and unfortunately don't recall ever seeing your Model A, but I'll be happy to ask around about it.

19. Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...and the lights on the cowl.

Almost looks like the red car has independant suspension instead of the dropped axle tho and it also has bucket seats. Anything could be changed I guess but it would still be a long shot.

21. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

Also looks like the red one has a filled roof while the brown one doesn't. The rear fenders are extremely similar though...

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I saw that also but someone could have laid cloth back over it for the look I guess???

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

This car has been in colorado about that long, and has been changed quite a bit. It originally had a v6 for an engine, stock mustang 2 front suspension and a mid 70s corvette rear suspension. the rear fenders are now wider also. The interior looks similar to yours. Ya never know. notice the front push bars.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well,well......and that one even still has the blue dots in the tail light lenses:eek:
    but also looks to not have the filled roof.

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

And an apron gas cap like the '97 photo...

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

The roof is filled under the canvas, I am not sure if it is ribbed or not? I does have a 32 glass grille on it, but that could have been changed. It had a mishap with the axle on the passenger side and it ripped up the glass fender so my friend put larger glass fenders on it to handle the larger rims and tires that are on it now. we had to put a new front suspension on it because the mustang 2 was cut up pretty bad to keep it under the fenders and we couldn't get a good alighnment on it. This one also had dual saddle tanks.
    On another note there is another one painted the same color that is housed in elizabeth colo that might be the ops car. It has a weird looking aluminum air cleaner on it with a lot of tubes coming out of it almost like a still :eek:

27. model eh

model eh

You may have better & faster luck by contacting some local car clubs in the Littleton area and asking them to put into their Monthly Newsletter or add in their email send outs.
    Good Luck Eh !

28. Ghost28

Ghost28

Notice the push bars and the interior shot.[​IMG]

29. MetallicaMatt

MetallicaMatt
    from Ohio

Ghost....is that your car???

Those push bars, were hand made by my father. They should be stainless steel. He also had the dual tanks, and everything. The car did have a V6 when it left Ohio.

The interior at the time was very basic, it wasn't finished. I do have some other "stories" about the car, if I can find the owner, to confirm.

This is REALLY promising!!!!!