Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Track Tread Racing Tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimbo17, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Anyone remember Track Tread racing tires from the 60's and 70's?
    I believe they were used by dirt racers in the south.

Looking for any information you might remember about these tires.

Thanks Jimbo

2. You mean this old dirt trackers. I ran them in the 70s and 80s, because I couldn't find 16 " tires for my Halibrands and older wheels. Plus I just think they are Kool. lol Made buy Firestone for dirt track racing. I got them from Speedway Motors back then Ron... 006.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    AHotRod likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check cokertire.com - they offer Firestone Dirt Track Tires - plus, two new sizes of the "Double Diamond " tires

4. k9racer

k9racer

If you mount them make sure the dot goes toward to the outside guardrail.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I want to thank everyone who helped me figure out that these tires were made by Firestone.

I have a friend who is building a car to honor is father who raced an old dirt track car had send me a few old pictures of a decal that was on the car from back in the 60's

I believe from looking at what's left of the old decal that it is indeed an old Firestone Racing Dirt Track tire decal but I could not be a 100% sure.

Many thanks for your help. Jimbo

6. JohnnyR

JohnnyR

The "Track Treads" I recall were a low cost, recapped Goodyear carcass made for asphalt tracks like Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville. Some tracks legislated their usage. The carcasses were old "Grand National" tires, I think. Not aware of them being made for dirt, but they could have been. All the ones I've seen were on a Goodyear carcass, but, presumably, they could have been on a Firestone, as well. I seem to recall a "branding iron" impression on the capped sidewall. Not sure who made them or distributed them.

7. JohnnyR

JohnnyR

....and I could be remembering this all wrong. This was 1972-74. Contact Jimmy Means Racing on fb and he could probably help you out. He ran them back in the day.

8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

redmon:
    I think you might be right because the reproduction car my friend is building was raced by his father at Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville back in the 60's so it might very well be a recapped Goodyear carcass.

I thank you for that very important information because that may help me track down the exact decal that was on the side of the car from the 60's
    I have attached a decal from his fathers old speed shop below which may help you remember his old car.

Jimbo

Kitchens Speed Shop.jpg

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Just wondering out loud if anyone out there as seen this image or knows anything about the company.
    Track Treads was a company that recapped old "Grand National" tires back in the 60's and 70's for asphalt stock car racing.
    I am trying to find a better photo of the old Track Treads decal for a restoration project for an old stock car that raced in Alabama back in the early 70's
    Jimbo

Track Tread tires.png Track Tread tires.png

10. k9racer

k9racer

Sold in Priceville Alabama at a service station ran by a man named Robert. He also sold the non recap tires called BIR that the fairgrounds made manatory. They were a harder compound. Robert later became the Hooiser dealer for north Alabama. I will see Jimmy Kitchens at the Alabama Auto Racing Pioneer get together in January. hey Johnny R its Bobby here.

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

k9racer:
    Thanks for the information you send about the guy selling these tires in Priceville.

Jimmy Kitchens is building a tribute car for his father and I have been helping him with all the decals that would have been on the car back in the early 70's

Jimmy remembered the Track Tread Tires decal and send me a picture from his dad's old car.
    Because the picture he send is not real clear I am trying to figure out what is on the left side of the image.
    It looks like a tire in the center with checkered flags on each side with some writing under it but I may be wrong.

So far I have not come up with a better picture of the Track Treads image so that I can recreate a new one for the car.
    Thanks again for the information and helping fill in some of the questions about who sold them and where there were located.
    Jimbo