Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Toymaker's Twin Engine Dragster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I give my short little rail a rub everytime I go to the shop. I have no idea what others think of it but I love it. Never had so much fun. I am sure you feel the same about yours. Congrats on your success. Most impressive this build you have done. I loved the video and the sound of the twin.
    Don

2. rooman

rooman

Rocky,
    it was great to meet you at Famoso and get the chance to check out the car in the flesh. Way cool!

Roo

3. 65COMET

65COMET

TTT;I was pissed that I could not get out and about!! This getting old SUCKS,I could not walk very far or stand for any length,pinched nerves,but once in the car I was cured!! ROY.

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

"Bout ready to order a clutch but my "Buy Now" finger is hesitant :D Looking at an 11" Borg and Beck with 2750 lbs static pressure and 3 roller assist to make a total plate pressure of 3600lbs @ 6000 rpm. Would purchase a "Long Style" clutch but my Thro-out brg and everything will work with this unit, in combination with an 11" Metallic Disc I think it should spin the 8" Cheaters before slipping. Opinions Welcomed!

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Rocky;will that old trans handle a stiff clutch?That stout of a pressure plate is NOT going to slip,should smoke those old slicks!!!! ROY.

6. Roc will need some leg lift workout regimin for that clutch but the hides will definitely smoke!!!
    You might need to be careful as you may dig holes into the asphalt Roc

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

A hydraulic clutch setup using an external slave cylinder would make it alot easier. But it's still a cool car reguardless.

8. Even kooler in person, Hey Roc did you start bending aluminum yet????

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I've been thinking about it and plan on getting the (Aluminum) Body, KingPins and clutch done B4 some "Testing" this DEC:D

I hope it holds as a 2 disc clutch is out of my price range;)

After talking to Carl on the phone I'm planning a MOKAN 2012 Trip, would be great to meet alot of you and see cars like Brian Fox's Zorbas Ghost and ChassisResearchKid's latest Tire Smoker among others. Just have to figure a way to afford it, I'd really like to hook the car up to my old pickup with a camper shell and make an experience out of like they used to do (my wife ain't liking that idea:D), we'll see. Rocky

10. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Damn...That's just too cool!

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Yes, I have to agree.
    This something that has been lost with time but back alive today.

13. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Man that car is one sweet ride, looks like it runs straight as an arrow, very nice workmanship Congrats Tim Jones

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I've been a Slacker lately but I plan on testing the new clutch on Dec 10th so I'll be getting back to it. The Twin and I MAY be performing in the "Inland Impire" (CA.) next year, more on that soon;)
    I did recently put some Corvette Valve Covers on it and drilled the outer heads for oil return. I noticed that with the engines running the RH engine has noticible crankcase vacuum at an idle, no oil flows out when it's running. but when you shut it off the oil pours out. The "Slave" engine has pressure, making me think that as the slave fires (10 DEG later) it unloads the RH or primary engine, I dunno and it don't matter cause we're going to RAISE HELL with it Anyways:D! I'm one Corvette cover (actually 2 with one being cracked/welded and some of the fins being removed) from having that part of the build finished......anyone have one they'd part with reasonably?
    [​IMG]
    A quick note on how I removed the Corvette script (it was already drilled for smaller breathers) from my center covers. After much thought and not having the funds to take them to a machine shop I shrpened an Air Hammer Chisel and "Shaved" the scripts off.
    [​IMG]
    I wanna thank my friends Paul Scott and Joe Hickenbottom for the covers I have, Thanks Guys! Rocky

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  16. Uh Roc, you couda brought them up here and I woulda shaved them for U.....

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey Rocky, what's the deal with the "Inland Empire" connection? That's where we live. More incentive to get the car done.:p

18. Excellent video facing the motors. Kool !

19. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

If your coming down to the IE let us know. I am about ten minutes away from Pomona if thats where your gonna be running. Would love to check this ride out in person.

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'll keep you guys posted as plans fall in place, hopefully know something soon.

21. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

if you're coming to mokan next year, you have a place in kc to stay, a fully stocked shop to work on stuff, and food, and some gas money, if i can tag along and help. lol

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I appreciate that!

23. rooman

rooman

Likewise if you are in the Indy area. In that case you will be on your own running the car as I should have a new ride up and running next year.

Roo

24. One Finger John

One Finger John

Could you explain a little more in depth the oiling problem you are having? Nothing is ever simple, but this seems to be fascinating. Would the problem still be evident if both engines were supercharged?

John

25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Roo.

It's not really a problem, the engines lay over so much that the valve train oil (Hydraulic Cams) builds up to the valve guides before it makes the original oil return holes. I ran it like that (and without breathers, wasn't finished) and that's why I believe it smoked so bad on startups so I'm incorporating some oil returns to eliminate the build up. The vacuum (I believe) is from the main engine being assisted by the slave engine (firing 10 degrees later) reducing the pressure on top of the piston, eliminating "blowby". I've only seen this at an idle and It doesn't bother me enough to check at race speeds:D. I would love to see what effects Superchargers would Have:cool:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Superchargers! That most definitely will be a shock to that little trans,sure would be cool though.It was great meeting you at the reunion and checking out your car. Oh,If I can come all the way to Bakersfield to run NE/1 surely you can come to the Hamb drags in Joplin.:D:D:D

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

HaHaHa Superchargers would be cool but nothing I can afford:D Maybe someday Injectors.......anyways, I'm going to make every attempt to go to Mokan in 2012. My only problem is I have been invited to bring the Twin to Toutle WA which I believe falls on the following weekend. HUMMMMMM, Going on tour:rolleyes: sounds like a ball. Rocky

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I dunno, quite a trip, may need some stops (Drag Strips) along the way:D
    [​IMG]

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well if your ever in the riverside/north San Diego area you are welcome anytime! And we can go run the car at Barona 1/8 mile!

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Maybe not on this trip but if Barona will let me run the car I'd love to come down.