Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Towing an a roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RayMoray, Mar 6, 2020.

1. RayMoray

RayMoray

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I need to tow my model a roadster up a hill to my workshop and was thinking about where to attach the tow rope. Is there a recommended method?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Cool 33

Cool 33

If you are using a strap or chain hook it at around the front axle at either of the spring perches not in the center of the axle.

RayMoray and Jedro Jenkins like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Do not wrap the strap around the tie-rod when you wrap it around the axle…
    seen a bunch of bent tie-rods.

4. clem

clem

.....or halve the force on those points, and go from one perch to towing point and back to other perch.

RayMoray and lake_harley like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Exactly:)

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Back in 1957, we found a Model A Coupe in a neighbor’s yard. We wanted to make a modified street legal coupe for daily driving and race at nearby Lions Dragstrip. Actually, my brother wanted a built-up coupe to race his close friend that was successful at Lions with his black 1934 Ford coupe with a big modified Olds motor. He actually said his 51 Olds sedan was fast, but not as fast as that 34 Ford Coupe with the Olds motor. So, that was his preliminary goal.

When we went to the neighbor’s yard, all we had was a long dock line rope from the surplus supply yard. My brother found out that if we made the tie down on the bumper brackets, it would be OK to tow the Model A Coupe back to our house, about a mile away. The thick dock line was attached to each front bumper bracket and then made into a single rope leading to the 51 Olds sedan. A “Y” for simplicity to keep the pressure in the middle of both vehicles.

I was only 13, but my brother wanted me to steer the Model A behind his 1951 Olds. His mantra was to always keep the rope taut and don’t let it slack off, then snap. So, he told me to keep my foot on the brake pedal as he drove his 51 Olds down the street. I was nervous and luckily, had only two slags and snapping incidents in the distance we had to tow it back to our house.

The dips in an intersection are the trickiest and caution needs to be applied.

Jnaki

Going up a hill, gravity helps keep the rope tight. An even acceleration by the lead vehicle is mandatory. But, as you get to the top of the hill, you have to know what is on the other side. Even if we could see the dip in the intersection coming up and had driven over that intersection street plenty of times, it was the first time with a car being towed. Add that to a determined 13 year old steering/braking the Model A Coupe for the first time was a challenge.

Keep the tow line taut, go an even slow speed, and don't panic when you get to the top of the hill. (Despite not being able to see what is on the other side.) Scope it out first so there are no surprises. Move at an even speed with no sudden acceleration points. Good luck...YRMV

TOWING AN "A" ROADSTER...

RayMoray likes this.
  7. chev34ute

chev34ute

I faced the same dilemma when my 28 Tourer was dropped off. Due to the angle of my yard and the location of my workshop, he was not able to back the trailer up to the entrance of the workshop.
    I wrapped a cover over the bull bar and used my utility to push it up into the workshop. You don’t need a cable, rope or chain to do this and you don’t have to worry about a lack of brakes either.

462E622B-A67D-48F7-9058-5BB3D19177F6.png