Register now to get rid of these ads!

tow dolley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thesupersized, Mar 6, 2008.

1. thesupersized

thesupersized

my 60 ranchero's radiator exploded this morning on my way to school, i left it in a parking lot and im at school now....after school im getting the pickup and picking up a friends tow dolley, my car is automatic, my house is like 10-15 miles from where car is, is it ok to put the front of the car on the dolley and have the rear spin? i know its prolly better to have the front tires on the ground, but my front end is kind of bouncy and all over the road, probably going to take local streets home...what do you think..i always thought if you wanted to tow the back your suppose to pull the driveshaft...i dont want to do that where it is... whats should i do?

2. Mopar34

Mopar34

If you put the trans in neutral, and don't exceed 20 - 25 MPH you should be okay for a short distance. Best yet, drop the drive shaft, then you can exceed the 25 mph.

If you put the rear wheels on the dolly, and tie your steering wheel straight, even with the bouncy front end you should be good for the distance.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

If you're really worried then just drive halfway at 20-25mph, stop and fire up the motor to lube the tranny and tow it the rest of the way home at the same speed.

4. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

The ideal way to tow a tow dolly is with the front end of the car loaded and the rear wheels on the ground, so yes to that one.

It takes 5 minutes or less to loosen the rear u-bolts and zip-tie the driveshaft up, making sure that it can't slip out of the tailshaft.

Just do it the right way and then you don't have to worry about frying your trans too...