Register now to get rid of these ads!

Totally insane race car....and you would have to be mad to drive it too

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulatxntric, Aug 14, 2007.

1. noboD

noboD

The yellow and black cyclops must be the sissy version. It appears to only have 2 cylinders. Thanks for posting.

2. Frank

Frank

HAHA. The engine is built from a couple of jugs from a radial engine. Each cylinder is 126ci for a total of 252ci. The connecting rods are from a 1620 ci Liberty engine. It only revs to about 1250 rpm. Tops out at 100mph. At 90mph the engine is firing every 5 feet. Its fun just trying to wrap your mind around such crazy specs.

3. noboD

noboD

That's insane, I heart it.

4. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

bahahahahahaha

of all the questions that spring to mind when I see that stuff " is that safe" definitely ain't one of them......is it fun?.....der.......

where do i GET ONE..

To be honest I have a bellytank, if I didn't....I'd make one of them......

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

here's a few more shots of simmilar cars.

Attached Files:

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the updates!

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I remember this post fondly... this car is so fucking rad. It made me head out to the Home Depot and start on my own frame.

Oak was too pricey so I went with pine.

8. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

Total BAD ASS! I can't imagine what it must be like racin them things back in the day. No seatbelt, firesuit, helmet, rollcage........ Crazy. Crazy dirty scary as hell fun!

9. seatex

seatex

That thing gives me WOOD!!!!

10. 62rebel

62rebel

wicked cool stuff....

hailing from an era when guys wanted to go fast, and literally had to do it from scratch. no Speedway or JC Whitney catalogs....

"i say, old chap; what are your plans for that aeroplane engine?"

11. 117harv

117harv

Yes they are, but only white oak as red oak is too gold chainer!

Seriously though, it makes me want to build my own version of one...BAD ASS!

12. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

13. the yellow and black car is a 4.2 litre v twin, home made engine with chain drive...and yes it's road legal and is driven on the road...the next photo (bare ally body V twin)...built in 1913, raced and driven to and from the track, yep it's legal too. The engine has all unique castings as does the drive train (apart from the chain drive case). The guy who owns it is a top bloke and let me sit in it in the pits at Shelsy Walsh.....if it hadn't been broken, through being given a serious thrashing earlier that day, he would have let me have a drive too....no pics for this but we were chatting to an older guy in his 70s, white hair, grubby boiler suit, oil down his nails.....sounded like one of the royal family when he spoke....he was totally nuts, his car was a Morgan with a jap Vtwin, single seat and 4 wheels, chain drive, no front brakes or shox. We watched him go up the hill. he launched sideways and the car fought him all the way up the hill...his time was sumat like 39secs so he was well over 100mph at some points.....the fastest car that day was an ex F1 car, only 3 or 4 years old with a time of around 30 secs.. does that give you an idea of just how nuts these old boys are in cars with no brakes!!!!!Shelsey walsh is the oldest continually used race track in the world...bacially it's a tarmac drive up a hill, crash barriers consist of mud banks and trees!!..google it it's worth looking up, as it the Prescott Hill Climb... defo look up the vintage sports car club for more info

14. sololobo

sololobo

Big Balls required. Crazy----- ~Sololobo~

15. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I had a reeeeeally cool set of Louis Bleriot headlights a couple of years ago. I regret selling them but I still have no use for them today. That car is fantastic.

17. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

This gets my vote for the coolest car ever built. Period.

18. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I love that thing, and I'd drive the tires off it

19. crapshoot

crapshoot

IT GETS MY VOTE TOO this car is totally bad ass

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

That looks like English White Oak, it looks nicely oiled, that wood is some of the strongest wood on the planet structurally, its stronger than a lot of steel frames due to the fact that wood does not stress but naturally flexes. That wood is the wood that gave the English navy its advantage over all other navies, it was used as the side planking for Royal ships of the line, it forced the other navies into bankruptcy as they had to re gun their fleets to try to penetrate that wood, most English White Oaks live to 1000 years old.
    That old racing car is yet another fine example of how we have forgotten more than we know, the technology on there that many consider dangerous was state of the art in an age when we did not know how to weld, couldn't make flat glass properly, had no idea of what plastic was and used whale fat to light our homes.
    A man can learn more looking at this old piece of technology for 5 minutes then he could learn in a year of solid book studies, that thing is awesome, thanks for posting it.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One of the coolest things is that the car is its own diagram and blueprint...you can see everything from one end to the other, learn the car and learn about ancient aero engines just by looking. Same reason that old slingshot dragsters and stripped roadsters are so cool to look at. That was the kind of thing that hooked me in when I first encountered HRM and R&c about 1960.

22. That thing is "Swell"!!!

23. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Love this car it's the mutts nuts..............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

25. This car is proof positive that the testicles of yesteryear were in no way inferior to the current equipment!

-Bill

26. Would have been wicked in the day.

The chassis is nuts, Guess it gives new meaning to 4 x 2:D

27. Is there any video footage of this thing in action?

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Totally insane is right! And totally and outrageously
    cool too!! I really love the single, center-mounted
    "cyclops eye" style headlight. I'm curious about
    that J.A.P V8. I've never seen or heard of one of those
    before. Was it actually produced by J.A.P. at one time,
    or did some ingenious ancient racer cobble it together
    from a bunch of J.A.P. single cylinder or V-twin engines
    and parts???

Mart3406