Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torsion bars on a beam axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, May 22, 2007.

1. Lil' John Buttera ran tirsion bars on the front
    of his Aluminum bodied roadster.Pics here somewhere.

2. brandon

brandon

nope....first style 16" 5 spokes....no step in the barrel....way bitchin ....brandon:D

Attached Files:

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Tell your guy to sell the large hoop'd Americans. He could at least re-coup a little of the investment, along with the rubberband tires and then pop for some 16" on dirt trackers or something along those lines, even (egads) truck radials!!

4. this truck was originally built by lee for his wife i believe, my boss mark rasmussen did the paint and bodywork on a trade for lee to setup a torsion bar front suspension in marks model a roadster, lees work is amazing and he deserves far more credit for what he is capable of than he recieves. keep an eye out for a "osborne grey" 31 tub with some pretty wild shit on it commin out soon.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

More torsion bars on a tube axle

Attached Files:

6. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

4ever4 ,Dave lowe ,who runs a marine biz north of Auckland built a '34 Pickup in the 70's with torsion bars.I think the bars came from a Morris Minor and the arms were made from manganese steel locomotive bogie pins liberated from the NZR workshops.:rolleyes:

7. 54MEB

54MEB

If anyone in the Houston area knew John Sandlin, his Boss 429 powered '27 had torsion bar sus. front and back. His setup was from some sprint car stuff and the torsions were located side to side instead of lengthwise with the frame. I wish I had pictures but that was at least 20 years ago.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

More pics of Lee's tub? Esp. when it had the American's and (oh well)10 spokes?

OR

More torsion suspended hot rod chassis pics?

9. brandon

brandon

how about pics of it with the steelies.... the car also had 12 spokes on it before the 10 spokes.....the rod and custom article on him or the car has it with steel wheels and caps....and still bad ass....:D brandon

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Never saw it with the 12 spokes. C'mon, someone?!

11. brandon

brandon

anyone have any shots of a 32 roadster out of florida owned by a guy named dennis sammons , member of the fla roadsters.....similiar setup with the t bars etc....will have to look for the pics he sent me of the build .... another neat car... brandon :D

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Brandon, that's Steve Panareous. he is located in jamestown, In. He does make killer chassis and suspensions. The shop next to him is run by Dave Rippy.

14. yeah i forgot to mention a yellow 34 ford coupe that steve setup the chassis on with front and rear torsion bar with the bars going perpendicular to the frame, we did the paint, bodywork and most of the sheetmetal fab here in new york for that car, steve built the whole frame from scratch outa 1/8" plate and cut it out with an additional 6" of wheelbase, we fabricated a lengthened hood and hoodsiedes from aluminum to accomodate the stretch. wish i had pics, the body was once owned by jeff gordon.

15. brandon

brandon

a shot for jeem......charlotte gg's 02.....have found the shot of it at indy gg's in 00 or 01.....brandon:D

Attached Files:

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A friend has a 26-27 Roadster built just after WWII by a returning veteran Lt. Willingham USAAF. The car has torsion bar suspension, a full house flattie with 3 carbs, Lincoln OD transmission, Lincoln dual coil distributor conversion, a full belly pan, 32 Ford shell and grille, 3-pc. hood with inside release, 16" wires with Firestone Ascots in the rear (the REAL Ascots), Halibrand out back, and, oddly, single exhaust (headers connected together on passenger side, then exhaust exhaust drops out through the belly pan and crosses under the pan at a rearward angle to the driver side where it goes back up inside and ends up hooking up to a stock Ford muffler mounted sideways inside the trunk compartment and exiting through the tailpan on the right side).
    The torsion bars mount inside the frame rails on this 40s hotrod.

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

THANKS! I'm still thinking 16x13 skanky Hals and dirt track'rs and 18incher 12 spokes, candy yellow over the existing paint. Lee's tub would go from bad ass to OHMYGAWD....

Any pics of this one? Wow.

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Lee did the frame for my Model A and its truely a work of art...I hate to even put a body on it...lolol....I've been contiplating myself on running 12 spokes upfront and was wondering how it would look cause i wanted to change up the black steelies so thanks for posting the pic!!....

Heres the thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117103&showall=1

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Like Starsky and Hutch say "do it". I'd definitely have an alternate REAL WORLD set of rolling stock, but I'd "do it" in a heart beat! And show pics when YOU "do it".