Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torqueflite ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ojai/jan, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi,

Trying to ID an early iron Torqueflite I will be using in my 1952 Plymouth wagon with a Jr. Thompson 392 hemi. Numbers stamped on side are:
    1636235 I and 13-55. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Jan in Ojai, CA

2. 73RR

73RR

Why on earth would you want to use an iron TF ?
    ...and if it bolts up correctly why would it make a difference what the oem application was ?

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Guess u want to make sure it wasn't used behind a 6 cylinder or small v8, right? You could just use a newer aluminum torqueflite, which is probably better and easier to find parts for, but may need an adapter plate, but for the price to rebuild the old iron TF, you could adapt the newer unit.

4. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Mostly because it came with the motor and was redone by Art Carr and I want to use a pushbutton shifter (other than that I am curious).

Jan

5. 73RR

73RR

If the button 'flite is driving the desire then use a 63 or 64 so that you can upgrade the internals. Consider that after you go to the trouble of installing the old trans and you damage it, the cost of another rebuild will pay a big part of using a later unit...and then you will need to re-do the button install.
    If you want an independant view, call Art and ask him.

6. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Jan, Hello & Welcome to the HAMB from Texas. I have some experience with iron Torqueflites. I broke 2nd gear on three of them. The engine was a stock 361 in an old Plymouth Police car. I finally found a Borg warner T-85 three speed, it worked well, I couldn't break it. I have not ever broken an aluminum Torqueflite or a 833 four speed. 73RR is correct, don't waste your time with an iron torqueflite.
    Good Luck.

Lucky667

7. JaBoney

JaBoney

What about the 2 spd Powerflite? I got one of those.

Any good?

8. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

I wouldn't use it for anything. I have one I'll sell it for $10 cash, no guarantee. I'm going to use a 833 four speed. Four speeds are easy to find AND Hot Rods are suppose to have 3 pedals.
    Good Luck.

Lucky667

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I don't have much on cast iron torqueflite history, so I won't go there.

But I do have a Powerflite in my 54 NYD and have had very little issues with it. Some of us don't remember that the Powerflite automatic is the only automatic equipped car to win the 55 Daytona beach race (and the only Grand National Nascar race)!!!! Tim Flock was driving and won on a technicality over Fireball Roberts. Simply put, it was behind a 300hp 331 hemi and lasted the whole race going from Lo to Dr and back on every lap. I think that qualifies for a tough transmission.

But I will have to agree about going with an A727 torqueflite (money permitting) and adapter. You won't be sorry.