Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Torqueflite 904 converter, Any Mopar guys here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Need information on Torqueflite 904 transmissions for Slant 6 engines.
    What I know is my transmission is a 1966 slant 6 Australian Valiant from the casting dates and talking to it old owner.
    So is a one year only 904 variation with conventional shift and small spigot converter.
    The converter it come with has a small square patch on the outside, a small balance plate with 2 factory spot welds.
    Should a Slant 6 converter have any balance plates at all?
    My research says no.
    Could it be a neutral balance weight or is it a counter balance weight that needs to be removed?
    I'm thinking that someone put a V8 converter on it before.
    Converter is a 148 tooth, small spigot. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436402912.072705.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436403004.797206.jpg
    I've spent countless hours on many forums, talking to local Mopar guys and removing and refitting this transmission with no luck at getting the starter to work with my adaptor kit on my Model A engine. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436403309.523006.jpg
    It should work and at a loss trying to make it all work together.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. daliant

daliant

If it has small sheetmetal weights welded to the outer shell near the ring gear then those are just there to bring the converter to a neutral balance. Externally balanced converters have thick weights welded near the mounting lugs. All slant sixes were neutral balanced.

Whats the issue with the starter?
    The 148 tooth ring gear uses the direct drive Auto-lite starter, the more common chrysler reduction gear starter uses a 122 tooth ring gear on slant 6 904's

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The only motor that used a 904 and external balanced torque converter was the 360 V8, I severely doubt you have one of those. I believe they were larger in diameter for a start. And had 6 mount bolts.

4. Hi Daliant, Rusty
    Looks like it has neutral balance weights then, good :)
    Issue is the starter will not engage the ring gear.
    Could not use the factory starter as the body is huge (Aussie 9 tooth Bosch) so found a 9 tooth mini starter.
    Excuse the dark poor photos,,,
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436408155.518215.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436408190.568728.jpg
    It just free spins and not engaging the ring gear, mounting depth, ring gear count all look correct?
    At least I know know I have the right converter

5. All sorted, put it back together and still no go,,,decided to double check the 9 tooth count on the starter and found a extra one !
    Not happy, all the time wasted online and driving all over Victoria and even Southern NSW and found I was sold a wrong 10 tooth starter.

6. At least everything has been double checked