Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Torque tube ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Torque tubes are a new thing to me, I sold the F1 diff I was going to use and picked up a modified Banjo diff with hydraulic brakes.
    Thinking of ways to keep the closed driveline, can the torque tube be mounted to a new fabricated chassis crossmember, then a small driveshaft to then connect the gearbox?
    Will it work?
    I know I can just convert to open using custom made or purchased adaptor, just thinking of other ideas that might work.

2. 55willys

55willys

You can go open on it or make an adapter to go on the back of the trans to mate up to the torque tube. Jim

3. 55willys

55willys

Yes you could attach it to the frame and use a short jack shaft. You might be getting a bit short for the torque tube and cause angle problems. I would look into unbolting the tail shaft housing and bolting a flat plate of aluminum to it and then bolt on the torque tube coupler. You can have the tail shaft shortened and splined to fit the front u-joint. This sounds like a lot of work but a machine shop that works with that stuff all the time would have no problem with it.