Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Tube Driveshaft - Dick Spadaro kit??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Dec 17, 2006.

1. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Has anyone used one of these yet???

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99795

Just wondering how it worked out.

How did it work out with your torque tube? What year tube do you have, does it have mid length bearings, etc.

Also, what is the price? Can't find it on his website. I'll probably just give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

Mike

2. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Well by all the responses I guess I got a big NO!!! :)

I found out it is $299 for the 60" tube, and the splined ends. Plus shipping (which wont be cheap). Sounds pricey except in the end you don't have to pay for any balancing or machine work to be done. Can do it all in your garage with the aid of a nice bandsaw and welder.

So it may work out to be a deal. Anyways, thought I would share.

They only have the 6 spline set ups right now for the rear end.

Follow up question, what year did Ford change over to the 6 spline from the 10 spline? Was 1937 the first year for the 6 spline?

Thanks,
    Mike

3. jonski und29

jonski und29

I'd really like to know how these worked out, too. I'm gonna be tackling this job this summer.

4. TimDavis

TimDavis

I think it is a fine deal at $300. The hassle of locating the correct '33-34 shaft or making a new one - or finding one that is reslpinable - then paying to have it resplinded. etc. etc....You can probably have Dick's shaft cut, welded, and in the car in an hour.

As for the "shipping won't be cheap" - I just shipped a pair of '36 rear bones to Cali from FL, they are 72" long and weigh 40lbs - insured for $200 - $25 UPS

5. I just completed putting one of the drive shaft kits in my coupe. This is what I did when installing. When I got the tube and checked it the ends were not perfectly straight. The splined ends would wobble ever so slightly. I think it was cut with a cutoff saw. So I recut both ends with a large quality tubing cutter, when shortening the tube. I then took a length of 1/2" threaded rod and screwed it into male splined end "that is already threaded" and ran it out the female end side. I put a large washer and nut on it and tightened it up (after indexing). This holds the ends tight against the squared end of the tube. Then tacked and welded with care. It came out perfectly straight. Just took the coupe out and no more high speed vibrations.:cool:
    IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4108.JPG IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4109.JPG IMG_4114.JPG IMG_4122.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. hightower611

hightower611