Register now to get rid of these ads!

torque tube driveline question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eagletucky, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I've got a 60 Buick Lesabre, last year of the torque tube (lucky me). I want to lower this car but am concerned about unwanted pressure on the driveshaft when the car is under load.

I'm not sure, but I believe this car doesnt have any kind of u joint to compensate for changes in ride height. I know guys are lowering early 50's Chevys, what do they do?

I had one of these cars a few years ago and broke the driveshaft on the interstate. My only guess was due to the lowering job (3" drop).

Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

The U joint is inside the Torque ball on the front of the drive shaft on my '50 Buick. The rear has no U joint. I've lowered it about 6" from the original height. Towed a canned ham across the country and back with no issues...

3. mrkerb

mrkerb

I might be getting mixed-up with the transaxle Buicks but didn't these cars have a "rope shaft" that didn't use/require U Joints?

4. mrkerb

mrkerb

I might be getting mixed-up with the transaxle Buicks but didn't these cars have a "rope shaft" that didn't use/require U Joints?

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Enclosed torque tubes are inherently strong.

Lower it and if the floor interferes, cut it OUT.

6. I never had a prob with my lowered 60 Lesabre. Drove that thing all over. I did have a vibe problem with the "propeller shaft" after I lowered it. I just figured it was due to the angle at the torque ball and kept on drivin'

I'd lower it anyway, but you may have some vibration at freeway speeds.

cool ride, got any pics?

7. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Yeah,

I bought it from Jdubbya (HAMBer). Now its runnin black steelies and double pinner whitewalls.

Heres a pic:

Attached Files:

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

All i know is they have to be tough cause you sure cant pull em very easily. With the Help of Big Ken, 53ash and torqueWench 58 we got mine pulled and i'm going back with an open system. Good luck