Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical torque tube clearance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by metaldave, Apr 13, 2015.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Dear Friends, I am attempting to properly shorten a torque tube . I need to know if there should be any play in the housing where the inner and outer cups meet. My tube will move up and down when I raise and lower the rear axle but I have no play or looseness at the cups when I move it. I there enough flex in the rear spring to avoid binding? I have only tack welded the torque tube together so I can still shorten it. I have just tack welded the rear cross member so I can move that a little also. I hope there is someone out in hot rod land that has done this job and is still alive. Thanks Dave Miller

2. Meyer

Meyer

I just shortened mine, there is a recent thread on it. The rear of the trans is a fixed point. I then lined up the rear banjo at the right angle and made sure it was square. That told me how much to take out of the torque tube. I tack welded it together, bolted it to the banjo, then bolted it in between the cups on the back of the tranny. There was not much play in it.

3. What type of car/truck?

4. And pictures would help.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When I shorten torque tubes, to get the length correct, I use this sample short section. With it mounted and the clam shells tight, it will swivel up and down to the desired angle to match the pinion shaft at ride height. I measure from the face of the rear end flange to the groove machined on the tube, and add the forward dimension from the sample section for total length. IMG_5456.JPG

6. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

is the driveshaft end flush w/the end of the bell,? ican't remember, shortning mine tomorrow if i get info.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The tip of the driveshaft is 1/8" behind the face of the bell on the one I checked.