Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque sequence for 235 cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Dec 5, 2010.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I just checked the manual and it doesnt seem to state a sequence to torqueing the head other than a little at a time with final torque at 95. I'm using a felpro composite gasket. The parts guy said that the gasket only needed to be torqued once but I know most engines have a step process. Thanks for any input, I'm hoping to fire her back up sometime today after all the engine work ive been doing.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. dmac620

dmac620

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Its a 54 235. I followed that diagram. I was just wondering if I needed to loosen them and then re torque before I fired it up. I torqued them down last night.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Should not need to mess with it if you already torqued it down.

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Thanks squirrel!

7. Not to hijack this, but my understanding was that when torquing head bolts, you got there in steps, say 45-75-95 (or whatever final value), making sure that the final torquing was with a single pull. Is that just me?

Also...I know FelPro head gaskets claim to not need retorquing once the engine has heat cycled...what caused other head gaskets to need that and/or what makes a FelPro gasket different?