Register now to get rid of these ads!

torque convertor too tight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Peter Mc Mahon, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Need some advice guys. I find the spec between my torque convertor mounting pads and flex plate needs to be 1/8"-3/16". I only have about 1/16". The convertor is all the way in the trans with the correct measurement of 1" from the bellhousing to the convertor pad. I need more room. I can either add a second motor plate [my trans guy advises against this as starter engagement is changed, and dowel support length is shortened.] He advised grinding the pump end of the convertor by the required amount. What do you guys think? Anyone done this? How would you be sure the convertor stays clean? Will this cause issues inside the pump if the end is not totally square? Thanks for any help. Peter

2. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Is your flexplate installed correctly ie. right side out ?

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

What engine and trans is this were talking about .Are you sure for certain the convertor is all the way in the pump ???

4. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Off topic 2011 5.0L Coyote motor and 99' 4R70W trans. The convertor is all the way in and the plate is on the right way. The crank snout on the motor protrudes 50 thou. more than normal [normal being a standard 4.6L] This is what takes up most of the required play. Any ideas? Thanks.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Many racing and street applications use a plate between the motor and bellhousing as a motor mount. If the starter mounts to the bellhousing it needs the same thickness shim.

I wouldn't worry about the clearance you have as long as you have clearance.