Register now to get rid of these ads!

torque converter tips wanted dont know what to get.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murf-lostincity, Dec 2, 2008.

1. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

i am having a 700r4 transmission built for my 54 chevy 210
    i am building this car to be a daily driver
    with some bite
    heres the deal
    small block chevy
    -tri power
    -mild cam
    -headers
    -non-fancy port polish
    -s-10 4x4 rearend
    -700r4 level 2

i was recommended a 3500 stall what do you guys think or suggest?

2. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Depends on how 'mild' your mild cam is but that sounds a bit high to me. Got any specs on the cam? That would help, also what gear ratio is in the rear end?

3. 1959cac

1959cac

If you want to leave every red light at approx. 3500 rpm, even when there's a cop beside you....then by all means. <p>Don't believe the hype with a high stall for a daily driver. Too much screaming wear and tear. <p>I prefer Torque over revs ...personally

4. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Gear ratio will play a big factor.......something in the 3:55 ratio or so I would say 2800. Duration on the cam will play a factor also....I'm putting a powerglide in my 54, and a 2:41 ratio gear for the highway runs. I run the same gear ratio/tranny combo in my roadster, and I love it. My camshaft in my roadster has a 272 duration, and I have a 2800 converter in it even with the goofy gear ratio.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008

5. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

sorry posted in wrong sectioned

but i think i better go with a 2000 stall converter
    thanks guys

6. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Thing is you want a converter with a stall speed that is not lower than what RPM's your engine starts making any power.

For example, if your engine doesn't start to really pull at say, 3000 RPM and you have a converter that has a 2000 RPM stall you are going to wind up with something that is a real turd off the line. This is somthing I have learned the hard way long time ago.

One other thing about stall converters. If you have a converter that is a higher stall, provided that it's a decent one, does NOT mean that the stall RPM is the RPM that your engine has to rev to before it will move the car.

For example, the converter I use in my drag car is a 4500 RPM stall converter. With the car standing still, if I step on the gas while holding the brakes the highest RPM I can get it to is about 2000 RPM before I either start slipping the back tires or push the car forward. But when I nail the gas hard when I leave the line the RPM's will jump to around 4500 before the car takes off.

HTH