Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Converter Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, Jul 11, 2007.

1. old beet

old beet

Ever have one sound like a rod knockin when ya rev her up???..OLDBEET

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Only if the bolts were loose or a cracked flexplate......

3. old beet

old beet

New nuts and good flexplate. C-4 trans. Can somthing inside break but still work good. Drives and shifts great, but reving in neutral sounds like a real bad rod knock.........OLDBEET

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. I have also had one squeek.. One good test is stick your head kinda down by the tranny with the engine running. Then, have someone shut it off, if you hear something that sounds like it takes a second or two to stop spinning, you need a new 'verter.

Unfortunately, usually when it sounds like a rod knockin....well..you know...

Hope you get lucky, -Abone.

5. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

This is going to sound stupid, but can you feel the knock under the floor boards or just hear it?

6. old beet

old beet

Mostly hear it!.......OLDBEET

7. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Does it do it in every gear from P down to 1?

8. k-member

k-member

That one I don't know, but it only knocks in P or N at around 2500-3500 RPM and when you really get on it just before it shifts into the next gear. I don't think it is the motor at all, this is the second motor, the only thing that is the same is the converter and trans...new 50 oz. flex plate, new motor ect. I pulled the old 302 out because of this same exact knock and when I put in the new 5.0L, it's making the same damn noise? WTF? I can only think this strange knocking noise is coming from the transmission. This is a weird one.

9. did you get the oil pressure sorted out?

you might want to ask there at northwest converter (i think that's the name)...they're right there in smokey point.

did you try pulling the converter and putting the trans back on to see if you could isolate the problem? start the car and run it up in park to 2500-3000 rpm without the converter in...

10. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

I broke part of the front pump in my tranny and didn't know it. When I bolted it all up, it had a pretty bad knocking sound. It sounded like it was the converter, but when I had it checked out, it was a cracked pump. It actually drove just fine, but they replaced the pump ring (or whatever it's called), and it's worked fine since. Didn't cost much to have it checked out, and it would have disintegrated if I had left it alone.

Have it looked at, it can't be too bad.

11. any update yet Keith?

12. k-member

k-member

Thanks for the input fellas, I will look into that.

13. What transmission is it? AOD? C4?

14. k-member

k-member

C-4.