Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TorqThrust Reconditioning: Backside Treatment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Dec 10, 2018.

?
  1. Black paint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Leave raw bead-blasted finish

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  3. Dressed to the 9's like the front

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Okay, y'all, I have the pretty side of my original TorqThrust wheels figured out! Nice "as-cast" appearance (fresh bead blast) and a good satin "machine finish" ( 600 grit, hand spun).

[​IMG]

My question to all the aluminum wheel restorers is how do you prepare the backside of the wheel...you know, the side nobody sees, but you know its there!! Black paint to hide it all? Dress finish just like the front? Or just leave it in an "as-blasted, raw finish?

What say ye?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

I think a good bead blast would give them a nice look! Great work on the front.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Blasted like the front would be correct in my opinion. Id personally paint them with a silver cast paint.

4. vinfab

vinfab

Depends on the car they are on. All my stuff is full fendered, so the back side of the wheels get a mild acid scrubbing and rinse to remove all the tape on wheel weight residue and then a coat of cast blast. But if I ever owned a fender less coupe or roadster the back side should be detailed like the front.

indyjps and Johnny Gee like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My exact issue. Just keep in mind much of it covered by braking system. This has made things much easier by just working what is actually seen per full on detailing.

6. @vinfab You're absolutely right and I forgot to include that info...

Full-fendered '46 Chevrolet Pickup is the recipient.

7. I'm a believer in Gibbs Brand treatment for fresh + raw wheels. I've used it on a few wheels with good results. They claim that you can paint over it but I haven't tried that. In your situation, I'd probably paint the backside with a near matching (slightly darker than front?) gunmetal/titanium color paint for easy maintenance and touch-ups later on.

8. Thanks @The Shift Wizard !! Does the Gibbs make the finish darker or alter the color? If so, can you show a pic or two?

9. No. It's water clear and changes nothing with the look of your finish. It's to help prevent oxidation issues.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paint all my bumpers/guards and wheels backside with Eastwood titanium spray.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hit 'em with some Napa Aluminum Brightener & a stiff brush. Rinse well & dry. Maybe a dose of Gibbs to protect and help against oxidation. Done deal.

12. GuyW

GuyW

Not really what you asked but...

The numbskull who previously owned a truck of mine with Torqthrusts, warped the mounting surface by tightening the lug nuts onto wheel adapters where the studs stood proud. I had to find a shop with a big lathe, to chuck up the wheels and turn the surfaces true. Just another reason I hate wheel adapters...

Bandit Billy likes this.