Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Torpedo Attack

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Woodlouse, Dec 19, 2011.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful work. Can't wait to see this done.

2. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

Here's a cheap idea..
    Raise the slope of the drip rail a bit at the rear and extend it about 2 inches. This would give a slight visual change that would marry the lines of the front fender fades and the roof line.
    If it were me; I would leave the roof line alone.
    Instead of 2/3, 1/3; the "magic ratio" works well on figuring all sorts of design problems.
    Very nice job. Get back to work.

3. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

nice fab work!!! car is looking really nice!

4. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

sonofabitch that looks great! Nice work on the fadeaways, REALLY trick!

6. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Thanks for all the replies, surprisingly the consensus seems to be not to chop.
    I think with a custom it's easy to fall into the trap of ticking boxes sometimes you have to stand back and decide why you are making the alteration.
    OahuEli cheers for the photoshop, I have it as my screensaver now.
    1951 Streamliner your vision is not a million miles away from my vision.
    Hi Mowogler the doors are close but do not foul on the top of the fender, that was one of my reasons to use the front of the orignal panel to avoid such issues, Cheers Tony.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You're quite welcome! I really like what you're doing with the car and look forward to more progress. Eli

8. fordflambe

fordflambe

if you get a spare minute, please check your PM for a question about spare parts.........

FF

9. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>A number plate behind glass was a very common modification for a custom in the forties, not quite sure of the legal implications in 2012 but I went for it anyway.
    To keep the height of the letters the official G.B. size, I had to make the opening a little taller then most of the examples I found in my research, but I think it looks fine.
    A fairly simple weekend sort of job, and for those interested in a little How-to, I've included a run of pictures so you can all laugh at my welding skills. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=bottom colSpan=3 align=left><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. speters

speters

Another 48 Poncho! I love it! Mine is a streamliner I am in the process of making into a mild custom. I am definitely steeling your license plate design. I was looking for a new way to mount my plate since I am not a fan of the HUGE stock mount.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

smooootthhhhh

i cant wait to see more progress. glad to see more 40s era customs being built. Best era IMO

12. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Nice all the Poncho owners coming out the woodwork, I thought I was the only one in the world.
    Speters feel free to steal my ideas, they are usually stolen from someone else. HaHa.
    51 Streamliner I have seen a couple of pictures of your car, classy I hope mine is going to look as good.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks for the compliment, mines actually in full re-do mode.. look out for its re-debut in late feburary. (it will be more early 50s era mild custom rather than a custom of mismatched time periods. they always look better to me when they stick to one particular era)

Now go get back to work on yours!!! :D

14. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>I know frenching headlights has been done many times in other build threads, but bare with me it gets better.
    Usual procedure is to find a suitable rim, reverse the buckets and weld away.
    My problem was after trying an assortment of rims, I couldn't find the right combination of outside diameter, inside diameter and depth in a single example. The stockers were no good anymore due to the peak at the top.
    So there I was on my own one evening knee deep in headlight rims, in the midst of chopping up a piece of 2in exhaust pipe into thirty triangles, hoping to weld it back together into some sort of mutant rim.
    When in comes that man again, after he had finished laughing, he casually remarks I could spin those for you no problems.
    True to his word Martin rings me a couple days later, bring the fender to the workshop, where after some final fettling which believe it or not was done with a broom stick, the new rims fitted perfectly.
    It's a strange process to watch very quick once the former was made, reminded me of a clay pot being moulded on a wheel.
    Forget Facebook this is the sort of friend that you want. HaHa.
    Anyway for those who like me spinning metal is a new experience, I took some pictures of the man in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=bottom colSpan=3 align=left><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

16. Very nice work.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice! Never seen it done like this, looks great too!

18. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

looks really good! you are doing an awesome job!

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

incredible work,,,brings back fond memories of my 41 caddy kustom. I did fadeaways as well, but I used pieces from a buick for mine,,kinda makes me feel like a slacker after seeing your wonderful fabrication job :)..here are a couple of pics.....man, I miss that car. By the way,,,the headlight idea = genius...he should sell those..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats pretty slick!

21. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Very nice work, love the build....and that caddy..... beautifull.

22. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Looks great,nice work,, how about a sunvisor for the windshield to pull the front of the roof line down.

23. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

No not a sunvisor!! Those make any period custom look "confused"

24. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Thanks for all the interest, helps me keep at it when it's freezing out there in the workshop.
    Superb Caddy, Kustom 7777 wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures.
    1951 Streamliner is right, won't be no Sunvisor going on this car.

25. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Tony that looks amazing, martin certainly knows his stuff.
    cheers vin

26. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Amazing!

27. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wood bucks are inspirational, I can see one place on my car that will require the same treatment. Good work!

28. RoosRoast Metro

RoosRoast Metro
    from Michigan

You are an amazing metal worker.
    It's impressive to see the progression.
    Thanks for the pics
    Roos

29. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

woodlouse..your doing great work here! love fadeawayfenders. gives the car the right late 40's feeling!

-palle

30. David Chandler

David Chandler

I usually don't like customs, but I do like what you have done. It's not "overdone", if you know what I mean.