Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Tornado destroys Classic car business.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

2. Geeez! Talk about bad luck hitting twice. When do you just throw in the towel and say no more. How demoralizing that must be. Best wishes to the Family.

i.rant and Petejoe like this.
  3. And by the way, note to the author of the piece (obviously not a car guy) it's a Red Falcon convertible flipped on its' side, not a Thunderbird.:rolleyes:

4. Saw it on the news yesterday. Sucks to the 24th power.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this on the news last night. What a kick in the gut for these folks. I wish them huge success in rebuilding and recovering from a second disaster.

6. One way to look at it. The cars aren't actually Lost, just back in project stage. Ya, Bummer for sure when they are finished Cars.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

At least a lot of them are late model (81 cutlass) and the rest in the photos most appear to be rebuildable, but man what crappy luck!

chryslerfan55 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  8. Time to relocate out of Tornado Alley. Is there such a thing as a Tornado proof building?

9. It's amazing how upbeat the man & his wife are about the damage,and he says he will rebuild. HRP

10. BJR

BJR

With luck like that, I would not commission my car to be sold by him. They say bad luck comes in three's.

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The damage was so bad, the Thunderbird was demoted to Falcon status! :D

chryslerfan55, raven, bubba55 and 7 others like this.
  12. As mentioned about construction of metal buildings. Looking at theirs , That would not fly here in Alaska . Looks like they went with a either a pole barn or miracle truss building. Not a good choice in my opinion. I am sad to see this happen to vehicles though.
    Vic

13. If I wanted to sell a classic car I would have no qualms commissioning it with them, I honestly believe they will take care of the commissioned cars or buy them outright. HRP

Vic, you guys in Alaska have never experienced a tornado and regardless of what building materials or technique used the damage will be significant.

Even brick & mortar will be destroyed. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  14. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I believe it is called "bunker".

Sad to se that. But being in that area I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise.

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Or an underground concrete dome-home. Popular in the 80's->90's, but expensive. Quiet like a vault. There used to be one for display/show(off) in the Dells, WI; but afaik, it's not available to see anymore. Was the neatest thing.
    Marcus...

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That’s a hard pill to swallow ...........again.
    Good luck in the future.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 tornadoes in Alaska since 1950, so they do have them. I think Vic is referring to that type of construction not flying in Alaska would be more about snow loading, although they do get some nasty straight line winds there as well.

18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe a geodesic dome? we have a fake owl or two on our fence; doesn't bother the birds one bit!

19. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

man, again? Poor folks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I design and build commercial tornado safe rooms, up to gymnasium size, as part of my living. They are now part of code in high risk areas for certain types of structures according to use. They can be designed to resist up to EF5 loading according to ICC 500 code requirements. (We would appreciate it if the tornadoes would stay within those parameters please.) The buildings are common construction and above ground structures. Most people have no idea they are built to withstand what they can unless they read the signs posted on them. They are not typically budget friendly for storing cars.;)

Tornado damage like this is a part of life here in Missouri, and I am not surprised that they have already committed to rebuilding. It is what we do. It is another terrible loss for a husband and wife team that just had a terrible loss, so I do appreciate their grit.

chryslerfan55 and belair like this.