Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toploader Trans. / Jeep Shifter Info.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 ROKIT, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Does anyone have a copy of the Sept. 2004 St. Rodder issue that discussed
    adapting the Jeep top (tower) style shifter to the Ford 3 and 4 speed trans.?
    Looking for specifics on machining necessary to the forks. Other than this, it
    is apparently a bolt-on swap.

Ability to scan the article or "how-to" description would be appreciated....
    Thanks

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm sure I have it somewhere, but it is likely buried in storage. It is a pretty straight-forward operation though. From memory, you need only grind on the case for clearance of the top-mounted shifter forks. I don't recall any machining to the forks themselves.

Of course, you'll also have to remove the side-shift forks and plug the holes...

Check with David Kee Toploaders - he's got all the parts and may be willing to talk to you about the conversion.

3. Thanks for the info., Ernie; will look into D. Kee's site..(have heard he's pretty spendy.)
    Also looking at wide ratio truck trans. for their compact size and durability. My Ford to
    G.M. adapter will limit my choices.....

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I installed the TREMEC T150 (not the same as a BW T15) 3 spd top on my 3.03 Ford three speed without any mods other than removing the side shift parts and plugging the holes with Freeze Plugs.

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Finding a donor jeep shifter is the hard part. I bought a jeep trans on the bay, kept the top and re-sold the box with its gears to recoup some of the money. All you need to modify the Ford case is a gasket for the jeep shifter top. That shows you where you will have to grind. All the grinding does is remove material that impedes you assembling the thing. Freeze plugs fill the original side shifter holes after all that is removed.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

7. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Will likely go with a 3 speed setup; the wide ratio gears should be a good fit for a torquey
    Olds. The search begins for a T-150 shifter and shorty 1/2 ton tailshaft to reduce overall
    length......

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

3 speeds are a compromise...I'm sure that torquey Olds will pull it just fine, but imagine how much more fun with one more gear! ;)