Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toploader Imposters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mattilac

Mattilac

This is a quote from a webpage I found about toploaders and some information about the 3spd/OD imposter.

I have a few questions regarding this information:

- Which trucks (years and models) did the cast iron "toploader imposter" 3spd/OD transmission with gear ratio #2 come in?
    - What kind of torque can these transmissions take? From what I've read, I understand that they are not even close to the strength of a real toploader, but are they strong enough to handle the power of a stock 292 y-block (170hp,280ft/lb)?
    - How much can I expect to pay for one of these at the local parts yard?

I'm looking to try out one of these cast iron 3spd/OD units, not the SROD transmission. My understanding is that if you're not putting tons of power into these transmissions, they'll hold up. Behind a simple y-block, I don't see much of an issue, especially since I don't beat on it often.

Any help would be greatly appreciated --Matt

2. Not sure of the performance side, but to identify one sitting on the swap meet floor, look for one thing.

On the body of the trans, there will be a bulge out of one side, that a true 4spd toploader does not have. Maybe we are talking about different trannys, but all the ones I've found were in Fairmonts and Granadas.
    They look just like the Mustang ones, and I've seen a few people get suckered into buying them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  3. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

The shifter arms are different also.I had 2 of those trannys one in a 27 touring and the other I sold last week.seemed to work good if you have room for the shift rods.Held up well behind a built 302 + had od.

4. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

5. BigChief

BigChief

The aluminum top shifted 'Top Loader' imposter your refering to is actually a Tremec T170 built for Ford and Jeep by Tremec. The Ford OD versions have tag on the trans that has "RTS" on it. It may also have T170-FT on the tag. These OD units were used in 84-85 Ford F150s and Broncos and both 4WD and 2WD versions are out there. It was used behind both the 300 (6cyl) and 302. It was also available in Jeeps of the same vintage but the Jeep version is not an OD box. They have an aluminum front bearing retainer that is susceptible to damage from a failed throw-out bearing. The bearing retainers are unavailable from Ford and VERY hard to find used so watch out for that. The RTS bearing retainers look similar to the iron bearing retainer used on the real Toploader but they will not work without extensive machine work and an adapter ring made from the dead aluminum bearing retainer....ask me how I know. ;).

Your Y-block won't hurt one that is in good condition if your driving it with some sanity. I have one behind the 302 in my '69 F100 and I occasionally pound on it....so far, so good. The rock crawler crowd is VERY hard on parts and just about any aluminum case trans is going to be short lived in that application. The gear spacing is very much like the 3 speed I pulled out of my F100 but 4th is OD. The gear spacing is wide and it shifts, well, like a truck.

Very useful transmissions if you want a cheap OD alternative and are not racing the car. The top located shifter is also handy when putting these transmissions in early rods....they fit perfectly. These transmissions typically go for 125-200 in as-is condition from the wrecking yards. I've seen rebuilt ones out on the net for 700-850.

-Bigchief.

6. BigChief

BigChief

The top-shifted transmissions he's referring to are shifted through the top cover and do not have external linkages. The ones he's refering to is also not a SROD trans with the shifter on the tailshaft.....the shifter assembly is the top cover as well.

-Bigchief.

7. Rooster

Rooster

Not to send this into another direction, but it's odd as I just bought an F-150 4x4 w/ the 3sp-od recently and just this past wkd. was given a 70's 4sp toploader w/t-case. Anybody know if the fourth gear will swap between cases? I WANT the granny gear in this 4sp. but acknowledge that today an od would equally useful once I get a load moving.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The newest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe has a story on old-school overdrive transmissions, and it includes a bit about the Ford top loader OD.

-Brad

9. Algon

Algon

The main thing is the swapped OD gear, its where third used to be as per the bulge in the case. It was once explained to me the down fall is only the fine teeth on the large OD gear,that and its spinning so fast in relation to the output gear,if you power shift it sloppy you kill the teeth. Which with the stock shifter is easy to do. Even though, why you would ever need to bang 4th that hard, just jab the clutch and pop her in gear quick.

I had one that had been upgraded at Jasper to have the same syncros, as a performance toploader. Then the tail shaft was swapped for a 66 Mustang unit to get the correct output spline (some are odd number counts for some reason; unknown to me) and for use of a Stang Competition Plus. You swap the shifter arm for the 3-4 gate from where it normally goes and you'll have a tough OD. You could just make a bracket as the correct shifter was discontinued at Hurst and they seemed not up to the normal standard new. I know guys who really beat on them without any problems just be a little lighter on 4th gear.

10. Mattilac

Mattilac

EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks so much BigChief and everyone else.

I was at the parts yard earlier today and actually found one in a 1986 F150 2wd with the top cover-styled shifter. It clicked into each gear smoothly. Shifting felt pretty solid. This Saturday I think I'll head back there and pull it out to examine more thoroughly (gears, syncros, bearings, in/output shaft, etc.).

Since it was behind the 300-6 that was in that truck, this Ford truck book I have tells me that it is gear ratio #2, which is exactly what I want. This book says that the 300-6 and 302 V8 came with these transmissions with gear ratio #2, and the big motor came with gear ratio #1. Anyways, I plan to swap this transmission in, and change the rear end gears to around 3.00 and see where I go from there.

I'll try to keep this updated later. Thanks guys.

11. Mattilac

Mattilac

Oh, and another thing; I called the junkyard to see what they wanted as a ballpark figure for one of these transmissions. The guy said $300!!! :eek:

Anyone know any tips to haggle the price?

12. Find something "wrong" with it.

13. Algon

Algon

There are always "better deals" but that's not bad in general and rather good for a boneyard price. I wouldn't beat the guy up that bad on it if you can't find a cheaper one, or he might not sell it to you at all, or worse something you need badly later on. Its worth a try, but many people consider excessive low balling an insult.

If he knows what it is I'd keep the offer close, if he doesn't, show him that its an OD which few people want as compared to a real Toploader and see where it gets you. Goodluck, I think you'll be pleased with that transmission.

14. Mattilac

Mattilac

Thanks again for all your advice. I'm going to pull it on Saturday.

15. I have the one they described in HRD with a Hurst shift for $150.

16. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I've had a few of these transmissions in the past. I never had an issue. One was in a 72 Torino with a 351. I ran it hard too.... Blew the rear end apart, trans was fine..... Stoplight grand prix action is great, First and second gears shoot you out like a rocket..... if you need to go to third, forget it.

17. tjm73

tjm73

Wow......shifting from 2nd to 3rd will cut your rpm's by 52%.

18. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yup. I had a SROD that came factory stock in my light duty '82 F100 Flareside. It was the biggest POS transmission i've ever owned. I kept up with it's maintenance but it still managed to fry itself on a long road trip back from the beach. 1st and 2nd were great... shifting into 3rd was like going from 2nd to 4th in any other transmission. It's like they left a gear out. The best thing I did was swap it out for a M50D/5speed transmission out of a later model 300 powered F150. It was perfect.

The only SROD applications i've seen were behind early 80's light duty F100's with the 300-six or the 302. They were also used exclusively in the first year or two of the fox body Mustang GT.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Oh, and another thing; I called the junkyard to see what they wanted as a ballpark figure for one of these transmissions. The guy said $300!!! Oh, and another thing; I called the junkyard to see what they wanted as a ballpark figure for one of these transmissions. The guy said $300!!!"

I've got a buddy that's been buying these transmissions out of local yards for $100-$150 each. He makes an adaptor plate and machines them so it'll fit into a stock Model A Ford. He has a fairly decent word-of-mouth business going with them.

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

mine in my 39 GMC

Attached Files:

21. BigChief

BigChief

The Torino transmissions were real toploaders. All of them. The aluminum RTS transmissions weren't made when the Torino line was still alive. If somebody did put one of these in the car they would have had to cut the snot out of the tunnel, modify the dash and build a custom stick as the shifter was built into the top cover and would have put the stick just about where the radio/ashtry is on these cars.

-Bigchief.

22. Personally I think the SROD gets a bit of a bad rap. I had an 83 Mustang GT that came stock with one and I beat the living crap out of it. NEVER had a problem. Yeah the gear spacing is a bit screwy but they aren't as weak as many claim, or else I got lucky - twice, since my Falcon Convert had one until last weekend that had a million Miles on it also.

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have one in my 85 Bronco 300ci. 6 4wd. It has never given me a problem. I know someone that has one in a rod with an early hemi, also never a problem.

24. I still got one for sale !

25. I have the cast iron version in my roadster, it works well but is not a performance tranny.

26. The Aluminum 1984-1987 T170FT RTS (Remote Tower Shift) has 3 Overdrive Gear Ratio's, 27%, 37%,& 41%. The Best is the 27% Overdrive Ratio For Model A’s, which is harder to Find. The 37% & 41% are better suited for Horsepower Engines. I was Told by a Guy here in Texas to use the 2-Wheel Tranny as I'm using this in my 1932 Ford Roadster Pickup, this Places the Shift Tower in the Stock Location Hole of the 32's Wooden Floor. I'm using a Stock 32 Ford Rear End with Torque Tube. There's a Trans Adapter from a Company M.E.C. Model Engineering CO. Of Akron, OH. That makes & Sales it. Cost is $125.00. Gene Sanders. I'm Using the Stock K-Member with a Bolt-on X-Member from Industrial of Phoenix,AZ $250.00. I'm using these items as I'm Handicap due to a Stroke. Their Very well Designed & Made! I'm wanting to Communicate with another 32 Ford owner that's going do this Swap. This TF170 tranny is being used by Model A Guys & they Love it. But, I can't seem to find a 1932 Guy that done it. Call Dereald Millsap (903) 952-1933.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  27. 77-79 Van/truck cast iron top loader with 4th being overdrive with a van shifter......and the aluminum 80-83 truck TOD with 4th being over drive.....both based on the "Ford Top (gears) Loader....65-73 late 4 speed ford.JPG ford 4 sp.JPG late ford 4 speed.JPG TOD 1.JPG TOD 2.JPG IMG_20150314_114617.jpg