Register now to get rid of these ads!

top loader to 302?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milo1957, Jul 1, 2012.

1. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

i just picked up this 64 (heh-a) toploader with a 65' bell housing. looked around a little but could not find the info myself! i was wondering if this will mate up with a early 302? i would like to fit it all in my 57' ford! thanks in advance for your help! sorry if its a dumb question...just did not want to go motor shopping till i knew what i was dealing with!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Maybe not. Check the bell housing mounting bolts. The early 221, 260 and 289 used a 5 bolt bell housing the the later went to a 6 bolt housing. I believe the split year was '65 as was the change in the transmission mounting to a wide bolt pattern changed from the one you have that went from '49 to '64.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

thanks... the bell # is C3AA-6394-c... when i look it up online it seems it could be either one haha... the tranny is in the shop so i wont be able to check till tomorrow.

4. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

nevermind.... yeah its a 5 bolt...i guess i could look for a different bell housing. or maybe find a newer trans. oh well! back to the drawing board!

5. Jims35

Jims35

Some 6 bolt housings came with a dual trans mounting pattern but i don't know the part #. Some of the tranys had the dual pattern too,both top load and w/t-10, i have one of the w/t 10s.

6. jazzbum

jazzbum

need a different bellhousing. maybe check out '66 mustang, first year of the six-bolt bell and definitely plentiful (cheap). you could probably get a couple bucks reselling your five-bolt bell, too.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a dual bolt pattern main case that you can use with a 302 6 bolt bell; BUT if my memory is correct the location hole in the bell you have is smaller and you would need a later 67' up front brging retainer or modify the one you have...

8. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

well looked around some more today... this is a 64 mustang toploader 5 bolt (for the 260) i know e-pay is not a great price guide....but this thing seems pretty pricey to the guy who needs it! maybe i should just unload this thing and get something else?? one on that auction site was listed at 1700$ ???? crazy??? maybe i need to find a mustang guy with deep pockets, and trade for a 302/trans combo??? i dont know just thinking out loud!

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are several lakewood housings on ebay that take both patterns.

10. wisdonm

wisdonm

Your old block and chassis are set up for a Z-bar clutch release mechanism. Newer 302 blocks use a clutch cable and quadrant. The newer blocks are not taped for a Z-bar. You will have to use the cable set up and install a quadrant.

11. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

thanks guys! i will keep looking.... i got this trans for nothing and thought it would be a cool option. i dont even have a motor yet, so i may be better off finding a mated pair and not dealing with all i would have to do to make this work. i dont know still in the planning stages of the drive train...

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Some of the stock bell housings have the bosses cast in but not drilled, and tapped for the smaller early toploader/T10 bolt pattern. The very late 289's were 6 bolts, all 302's were 6 bolt

13. I have a 1971 Ford toploader all synchro three speed trans ( HEGZ ) with a dual bolt pattern mounting flange...It will work in your application...you just have to come and get it...at no cost to you.

14. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

thanks..thats an amazing offer....a little far to go though!

15. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

It's not hard to find a bell to fit...they used that same trans pattern into the 80's...the 3+1, SROD, and SMOD all share Toploader mounting pattern.

Also, if you want to sell it for a different Ford 4-speed...there is a reason they fetch that kind of change. They can hold up to some SERIOUS abuse. Ford never offered a transmission nearly as strong as the old Toploaders.

16. Realgonegasser

Realgonegasser

It would be great to see that old gal back on the road or strip! The other issue with HEH-A is a lot of them had 25-spline output shafts. These had major issues and prompted Ford to switch to the 28-spline right away. They used a lot of different tail shafts too. You may want to make sure the shifter lands where you want it or switch to the one that fits best. David Kee Toploaders website is a great resource for info and just about any parts. As mentioned in earlier posts, the holes can be punched out on the 6-bolt, but the dual pattern OEM housing is rare and pricey. The clutch boss for the equalizer bar went away after '74. I'm facing a similar decision with the 4 speed TL and 289/302 in my '62 Fairlane. You can't break a TL. I just can't bear the thought of a cable clutch 5 speed in my car or yours!

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the trans is out of a 63 up falcon,or comet,till ford went to the 6 bolt eng. The place for the shifter mt indicates this. if it were all the way to the rear it would be mustang, and in the middle fairlane.Looking at the picture again shows the mustang mounting also.

18. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

toploaderheaven.com has everything you need to know. Good luck, man. I went with a C6 for my 302.

19. Comethead

Comethead
    from So. Cal.

I know this is an older post but...
    you can mate up a early narrow pattern (5 bolt engine) Toploader to a later 6 bolt engine by using a truck cast iron bellhousing. The truck bell was used on later 302/351Ws too when the 164 tooth flywheel/11" clutch was needed. P/N is C5TA-6394-A cast right into the bell. It has the wide case bosses drilled/tapped from the factory, but the narrow pattern bosses arent. No problem.
    Heres a picture:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, its cast iron and uses the 164 tooth flywheel. Lots on Ebay for cheap.
    Also, swapping to a 28 spline mainshaft is a breeze..and cheap from these guys http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm Ive used them.

Joe

20. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

21. Comethead

Comethead
    from So. Cal.

Yeah the narrow pattern holes arent there from the factory...but, most important, the bosses are there for the narrow pattern trans. Take a look at the inside of the bell. That extra material matches the narrow pattern Ford trans exactly...and its a 6 bolt bell.
    Heres the bell Im using on my 65 Comet with a narrow trans and 6 bolt 289 (heres a couple pics I forgot I had):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a machine shop do the drilling/tapping. They used the trans case as the template.

Joe