Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Top Fuel / Surfer Scoop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Received my "Top Fuel / Surfer Scoops" today from from Scott Leber (Scott's Rods @ 419-706-5850), excellent service, excellent product. For $125.00, it is a great price in my mind considering the amount of work with making this scoop......

Anyways here are a couple of goofy pic's with Leber's scoop and a good ole' T/F mask.....

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.....
    check your pm's

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

No PM's yet Jeff, its getting hot wearing your new mask you haven't seen....

4. Deuces

Deuces

That is very cool!! :D Now how about showing us the Hilborn 4-port injector and 8-71 blower that it's going on... :D :) Better yet, how about the whole motor??? :D

5. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

Hey Candy Man, Please don't take this the wrong way. Im jumping for JOY that Rod n Race is NO LONGER and Scott Rods has taken over! I'm sure Scottrods will do a much better job quality wise! Just a few little fun facts for you.

The scoops that Scott Rods (old Rod n Race) sells are SPLASHED COPIES that ROD n RACE splashed of the Gasser Glass "Slightly Bent or Curved Flat Bottom Surfer Scoops" that he made for NUBBS or NUBBIE (The OCC Painter). I have a pair of these scoops as well from ERIC (Rod n Race). The quality difference is OUTSTANDINGLY DIFFERENT from R&R and Gasserglass! I can stand-on & bounce-on the Gasserglass Scoop where the Rod N Race scoop will cave in!

I just hope for YOUR SAKE that SCOTTrods laid them up better then ERIC or Richard's boys did! The GFF or Gasserglass scoops have been 240.90 & 257.45 mph on my dragsters! MY slightly earlier bought Rod and Race scoop went just over 100-mph and came apart!!!! The top half of the rod n race scoop came off and hit me just above my eye and needed stitches,!!!!

I should have known better in the first place but, I guess it was the cheap price that sucked me in? Anyway, I was there when "Rod and Race" bought a GASSERGLASS scoop at Carlisle, splashed a copy of it and started selling them too! I can see by your photos that it is the same scoop on the OUTSIDE as GASSERglass!

From front to back on the bottom sides, the scoop has a slight bend in it like the bottom of the Chopper gas tank. The carb area is still flat and not really bent, just the side's rolled edges, It's Actually A Nubs Grafix Design made by Gasserglass for Robert (Nubbie)

Im very Glad Scottrods no longer use's the Rod N Race Name, They have a very very very bad reputation these days and Scottrods needs to do its best to distance themselves from Eric and his gang etc...

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

NitroDragster : I couldn't agree with you more regarding 'Eric' and all his games he played while he owned '"Rod 'N Race".... Eric took alot of money from various people who contacted myself, who are not on this board.. Eric is being investigated for his greed and I hope he has his day in court.

I will actually take it one step further, a person on this board who will remain nameless, critized myself when 'Eric' began to fall off of the rails, at which time I called Eric's character into question..... I hope to meet 'Eric' and his HAMB'er buddy some day, it should be an interesting one sided conversation....

I hope my scoop does not come apart as I will inspect the scoops and determine if I have to perform a little surgery on the scoop...

I cannot say enough good things about 'Scott; right now as he stepped to the forefront and refunded all monies owing which 'Eric' ran away with...

I certainly have not taken your comment the wrong way. I am sure many people appreciate your comments and concern......

Do you know if the Gasserglass Scoop is a one piece or two piece design ?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  7. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Nitrodragster,Thankyou for the comments about the problems with the surfer scoops from the former R N R fiberglass, I welcome any comments that bring awareness to safety across the board and you can bet your ass that we'll do our best to make our products as good if not better than others products,myself and my family understand,were racers also, your comments have us double checking our work to before it goes out and even has my wheels turning for a possible vacuum infused scoop that would be one piece instead of two glassed together to acheive the strongest scoop possible.I myself do not view your comments as negative,I guarentee they'll make us better at what we do.

As far as the mold I have being taken off of someone elses scoop I guess its possible but when I bought the biz, Rich Venza sent me his master catalogues that date back to the AI days before he owned R N R ,The surfer scoop mold we have is and old mold and guess what,theres a picture of it in the 20 maybe even 30 year old catalogue thats the spittin image of what we make, Hell if it was eric you saw buying one at carlisle maybe he needed one for himself and was afraid to use his own LOL.

Thanks Neil for your support and we'll see you at the homerun, we'll have your new race roadster body there so you can take it with ya.

And Nitro ,Thanks again for the comments, you've raised a ton of awareness on our end that will benefit everyone.

Scott Leber/ScottRodscustom.com

8. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Why is it called a Surfers scoop ??? the Surfers did not run this type of scoop .Tony Nancy did ....

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

There you go folks... I do not know "Scott" as I have only spoke to him over the phone. Scott contacted myself enquiring if my $ were refunded, which "Eric' took without delivering on the goods (This was during the purchase of Rods 'N Race by Scott)........

Scott made the refund, delivered on the goods and refuses to accept payment until we meet at the Willy's Home Run (Sunday Sunday Sunday Niagara).....

Outstanding in my opinion......

11. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Yes Really ....the Surfers scoop was aluminum.... Not the same scoop ,compare the pics :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Please....do NOT derail this thread .

13. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

Hey Candy-Man & Scott: First let me say that I'm glad you both understand the meaning of my reply to your post, there are tons of big mouths on the HAMB that claim they know everything but know very little. They figure if they post a repeated or loud reply this will make them sound more knowledgeable, at least that is my take on that subject. You guys took my reply exactly as intended, To inform my fellow Rodders/Racers of that real danger. Now that the company has changed hands for the Um-teeth time in as many years, now maybe now some quality parts can be made from those very old molds, its the way they are made that is most important, sandpaper and paint can fix the outside!

As far as the scoops go, I don't want to put any more info out in this group other then to say Gasserglass now has provisional patents on his scoops that my brother-in-law (the Lawyer) presented to the CW office in his behalf. He said just in case some other SCAB of our hobby splashes anymore of his scoops and hurts somebody, he will be sure to protect himself and maybe go after the SCAB or two or three?!?!

Scott, it was NOT Eric who bought the Gasserglass scoop, it was years before Eric was around, it was the other fellow (ex friend) I saw with my own two eyes pay for it. And the original Ai Fiberglass scoop mold you mention has been gone from their line of molds for years! ( thus the reason for them to splash a new one).

I Talked to Gasser about the new owners of R&R and he is very excited for them (You Scott) He wishes only good things for you and thinks you are on the right track by treating the customers with respect and not hiding out when problems come up, he obviously already knew it had been sold to you prior to he & myself speaking, He said he heard good things from a few reliable people and heard nothing bad in any way at all! He did say in a kidding way & half laughing, I HOPE THIS NEW GUY DOESN'T SPLASH MORE OF MY SCOOPS DAMN-IT!

Thank you gentlemen for your level headed replies

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  14. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

WOW, Lots of Hoop-la over the Surfers Style Scoops..... Yup, the R & R Surfer Style scoop was a splashed copy of my scoop... Nitros broken scoop fit in my mold like a glove... and whom ever made it should be shot, Clyde is lucky he didn't lose an eye over that deal! I'm glad somebody bought that company and wish them all the best!

I have about 28 versions of the Surfer Style Scoops and I OWN the first mold made from the ORIGINAL Aluminum Surfer Scoop....... Almost like the one in the photo above in Special Ed's post..... Even the scoop in Ed's photo is NOT the original scoop from thier 1960's dragtser..... I have many early scoop molds from the mid sixties, I've been collecting them for 20 years.

Anyway, its a shame there are so many scabs out there making less they quality copies of really cool parts, thats how people get hurt or worse. If anyone buys a scoop from any scoop maker regardless of what its made of, you should ask for a guarantee in writing.....if they are not willing give you one, look elsewhere and accept no excuses..... it puts the liability right back in their lap and holds them liable if their junk comes apart and hurts or kills you.

Hey Clyde, I saw in National Dragster that you broke 200 mph in that old heap...... Did you get a new motor or just getting used to the car?

Take Care All

Randy
    Go Fast Fiberglass

15. NitroDragster

NitroDragster
    from OHIO

HEY GASSERGLASS, I finally got used to the Lenco! The car was flying till I tossed the crack through the bottom end. Maybe you-ll sell me that block, crack and girdle you have hidden under your drafting table? Seriously, How much or little will you take for it?

Ill be at Hershey next weekend, are you bringing the gang or just your wheelchair? Hope your doing better.

I wrote to the administrator about that idots post, we will see if they remove it or not. I cant believe the administrator of this site let them get away with it to begin with. It's a cut and dry lawsuit that you cant loose! We Will See what kind of back bone this administrator has? If it goes, then we know he's/she/s real car people. If it stays, then we know what the Real Deal is?!?!

I see Foose took you up on your offer to make him that Duct for the Mr. BEAN-O MACHINE, Its gonna be cool as hell man! I'm glad for you and thanks again, my scoop is still flawless. I dropped it at least 10 times and its still not flawed, other then my paint chips that is. hah hah

16. GasserGlass

GasserGlass
    from York PA.

Hey Clide..........Ill take $5,500 for the Block, Crank & new Brooks rods...... Ill even throw in the the Gurney/Westlake oil pan and oiling system..... Ill take $4000 for either set of heads..... It should spin to 9,500-10,000 rpm?.....

Dennis "Lil Daddy" Roth (Ed Roth's Son) had me make him a scoop for his STREETNIK Bandit car... Or was it Gary Reid (the Bubble Ray).... Anyway, The STREETNIK is a 4 Seater Tribute Car to his father BEATNIK BANDIT. I made him a Sling-Shot Scoop and a Big Daddy Tribute Scoop..... I sent him both of them so he could decide what scoop he liked best, its my understanding he painted or is painting both and will choose then or maybe switch back & forth....OR, he can autograph the one he doesn't use and send it to me to hang on the wall.... That would be cool!

The STREETNIK BANDIT is going to be unveiled at SEMA in a few weeks.....I cant wait for them to send me some pics to hang in my new shop.

I also made Gary Reid another scoop for the BUBBLE RAY Bubble Top Corvette.... I think the Bubble Ray will be displayed near the Streetnik too. I'm glad Dennis and Gary use my stuff.... It feels good when the well known builders chose to use your stuff over all others, it speaks volumes about my quality.

I hear (not sure) that Chip Foose will or might be thinking about making the BubbleRay into a Die Cast collectible? Ill buy 10 cars just to see my scoop in Die Cast. heh heh

I've also started the gears turning on my Bubble Top Build (Roth Style). Ill tell you more about it when I see you at Hershey on Saturday.

By The Way:.... Frank Morawski will have his FRED CARILLO Salt Flat Race Car there too.....it was the cover car of HOT ROD magazine in the early 50's.....really cool. He had it out in California for the Pebble Beach Show a few months ago. He did one hell of a good job restoring the car, It looks great man! .......... There's photos of it elsewhere on the HAMB.

I have 8 More Scoop Styles To Show You Too, get your wallet out..... I DO Take Trade In!

Okay Clide...see yah at Hershey

17. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

you can check out our scoops on ebay, its item number 280599869945,

Thanks

Scott

18. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Hey Clide, Go Fast Fiberglass is making that scoop mold that you wanted so badly. give-um a call.

Vinny