Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrSweeneyRod, Feb 24, 2013.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Ok this is rather embarrassing for this forum...but here goes.

I absolutely can't get enough of this forum and have been in to cars all my life, and at the end of the year I'm going to be getting my truck to work on. I have learnt so much already and do all the maintaining on our family car...but i don't really have any tools of my own...i grew up with my mum, aunt and nan. So no guys in my life to learn from or have any hand me down tools.

So what I'm asking is what tools are essential for me to have to work on my truck and build my sbc ?

Thanks

2. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

3. i would say a set of wrenches, and sockets from 1/4" to about 1". and some extra specialty ones greater than 1" depending on application. any pliers and hammers you can get a hold of. you don't have any tools?
    how about a starter kit from a tool supplier and go from there...

4. If you can find one, go to an auction where they are auctioning off tools. Sometimes you can get some old guys lifetime collection for a song.
    Everyone needs a set of ratchets, box ends, open ends,various screw drivers. Just get what you can afford to start out. As soon as you start working on something you will realize what you need to buy. Buy the best you can afford and you won't have to buy that tool again.

5. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I have plenty of tools as Im a builder but none for metal work of automotive purposes.

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

The most important tool you need is a Motor's Manual that covers whatever year of car/truck that you purchase. Saves a lot of headscratching and questions to friends and other knowledgeable folk.

7. Homemade44

Homemade44

You need tools to cut, weld, bend, shrink and stretch the metal. Start with hand tools first, you will learn what it takes to make the metal do what you want it to.

A stump, beater bag, basic set of hammers and dollies, lancaster style shrinker and stretcher, hand aviation shears left and right cut, welding machine or oxy/acet set. That is what you need to get started. Don't spend a lot of money or worry about other machines until you understand what the needs to move into shape.

8. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Thanks for all the help.

9. ahh i see. in that case i would recommend just starting and building. buy tools as needed. dont buy stuff you dont need until you run into it. or if you come across a great buy then jump on it cuz that dont come along often.

if you have tools then i would assume you can get started, easy.
    if you are rebuilding the SBC yourself, i would recommend a good measuring caliper and a torque wrench. also piston installer tool

10. Also there are some good metal shapers in the UK.Names escape me but ck metalmeet and all metal shaping.

11. I dont know if there are pawn shops in your side of the ocean but,they are good for picking up some real deals on tools here..

12. english rob

english rob

you might have to look a bit harder for standard tools in blighty. car boots would be a good start. Maybe even some mechanics who have some hiding in a dark recess of there tool box as all the cars there now are metric

13. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

i probrobly use my grinders most. Lots of wheels for different jobs. thin cut off, thick for grinding, wire wheel for removing rust and paint, and sand paper disks are helpfull too. I worked on cars for almost 10 years before i figured out how usefull a good wire wheel on a grinder works.

14. trollst

trollst

Suggestion....birthdays, make out a specific list for gifts outlining a tool, where to get it and how much, get the same from santa for xmas. Make your gift givers understand its better to buy one good pair of pliers than the cheapie bag, get them to team up for an expensive tool. Its worked for me for forty years, my relatives like it, its been good for me.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Buy them as you need them. Unless you have deep pockets.

16. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

visit a few swap meets and flea markets you can find all the tools youll ever need at a fraction of new cost

17. Jimm56

Jimm56

$$$$$$
    Or a good credit card :)

18. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Auctions and estate sales are great places to buy tools.
    Like others have said start off with basic socket sets. Most of us have 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive socket sets. Get yourself a set of combination wrenches as well.
    You'll need a good floor jack and a set of quality jack stands.
    If you buy good tools you'll only have to buy them once.
    As you're building your truck try to anticipate what tools you'll need for the upcoming aspects of your build. Body hammers and dollies, electrical multi tester, torque wrench, etc. You can make a good argument for getting a big air compressor and pneumatic tools like an impact wrench, air chisel, air ratchet, a couple different types of sanders.
    An angle grinder is very useful.

19. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I really like that you all work in inches, here everything is now cm and mm, it's not as accurate. I may only be young but i learnt in inches.

20. Over here you will need both metric and imperial - even if it's just because metric nuts and bolts for fabrication are a fraction of the price of imperial.

Essentials are spanners, socket set, screwdrivers, hacksaws, angle grinder - after that buy as you need. A cheap buzz box stick welder would be a useful addition if you don't want to splash out on a MIG immediately.

Where about in the UK are you?

21. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I'm just on the outskirts of London.

22. oj

oj

I recall somebody starting a thread about what is needed in your basic toolbag, lots of contributors made suggestions - try the search thing.

23. Post a similar question as a guest on the UK NSRA Forum and I'm sure that someone will let you visit their workshop for chat - you'd be welcome to come here but I'm in Chester.

BTW - CostCo do a large socket set and spanner combo set for around £100 that is of usable quality and would be a good starting point. If you want to spend a little more you can't go wrong with Teng, Facom or Halfords Professional (suprisingly good for the money). However, the suggestion about going to auctions and buying old hand tools is very good - especially for things like taps and dies.

Get a Machine Mart, Screwfix or a Toolstation catalogue and go through that for some ideas.

24. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Living in England has its pros and cons, and so far i seem to be getting all the cons...I'm really thinking of moving over with you guys.

Thanks for the pm iwanaflattie

25. As far as rebuilding the engine goes, you MUST have a good engine stand, and a torque wrench that goes from 30 to 100 ft/lbs.

If you are going to clean the engine yourself, a set of "pipe cleaner" brushes is very helpful. Other than that, basic sizes of sockets and wrenches should get the job done. Buy special tools as you find out what you need. That's how most of us have done it.