Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tool Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Digger_Dave, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

TOOL TECH;
    I use a LOT of air tools
    . As everyone knows air tools like CLEAN, DRY air and the occasional "shot" of LUBRICATION.

I was doing some grinding the other day, and after the 13th time (well it felt like that many) of stopping and having to find a wrench (to change burrs) and change the air pressure. I decided; ENOUGH!
    It's time to put ALL air tool related stuff together in one place.

Sorry, don't have a picture; but here is what I created.

First a plywood "box" to hold a hose reel with 50 feet of hose. (the kind that you can pull out; it latches; then pull a bit more; and it retracts) that plugs into my big wall mounted air dryer. The box is mounted on four HUGE castors.

A note here - I changed ALL the hoses for the air tools and the tools to "M" type couplers and plugs, this keeps anyone from using an air tool hose for painting because the hoses might have oil in them. All other air hoses and couplers in my shop are "L" and can't interchange with the "M" type.

On the side of the box is a combination filter/water trap. (it is tied to the hose reel) From the filter, tubing runs to a regulator, then into an automatic oiler and then into a manifold mounted on top. (the manifold has a pressure gauge and two outlets; saves plugging and unpluging hoses when you have a couple of tools going on the same project)

The regulator, oiler and manifold are mounted along one edge on the lid of the box that is hinged at the back edge. (BTW - the lid also works as a work surface when sitting and working on small pieces)

The lid is hinged so when it's lifted, there are bins underneath to hold the wrenches, extra air tool oil AND an assortment of burrs, grinding stones and flapwheels. Under the bins (on either side of the hose reel) are storage slots for (almost) ALL my air tools.

When it's not in use, I can retract the hose onto the reel, store the tools and the whips and roll the whole thing under a bench.

Build time: about one day.
    Chasing fittings: another day. Had the regulator and the oiler on the shelf.
    Box: about half a sheet of 3/4" plywood.
    Bins: 1/4 sheet of 1/4" plywood. (some bits left over)
    Assorted nails, screws, glue and castors were also on the shelf.
    Paint? Optional. :D

2. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds good!

and to think I get by with a little squirt bottle of air tool oil....

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Getting the tech to the top.

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Well, Thank you sir!

5. tysond

tysond

I had a similar frustration at work always trying to set up grinders and what not. So I got a nice heavy bit of plate, welded a bit of stock straight up off that, with a handle on the top, then fitted a moisture trap and oiler to it. It's only about 8 inches tall. Now I can carry it all over the factory and set it down where ever I want and start working. I don't bother with a regulator because our maintenance man wouldn't buy one, he thinks it will be cheaper to just keep replacing all the tools as the veins blow out of them. But hey, there's no arguing with some peoples logic.
    Nice tech.
    Put some photos up if you can please.

6. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

tysond, maybe you could demonstrate to your maintenance guy that the ability to control pressure at the tool(s) can also have an effect on the quality of the work.

I find that reducing the pressure to my die grinder (in certain cases) allows for better control. The stone/burr doesn't "bounce" around as much and I can get a better finish.

The same holds true for my angle drill; to much pressure (which equals higher speed) makes for a rough finish when drilling larger holes. (bit bounces around)

AS for pics.... well; I'll have to break out the old "film" camera and ....
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Dave