Register now to get rid of these ads!

Took a ride on the frozen lake today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roupe, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Roupe

Roupe

Getting outside during the Wisconsin winters helps beat cabin fever. There are things to do besides working in the shop. High of about 20 degrees today but with the sun shinning it wasn't to bad out. Ice on the lake is about 12" thick so I took the truck for a ride on the ice. Had it up to about 70 mph but I had to keep an eye out for about a dozen iceboats that were out sailing around.

Attached Files:

A Boner, jazz1, Torkwrench and 5 others like this.
  2. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Dude your brave. I would still be sketchy about driving anything on ice. But then again the coldest place I have ever been is Colorado. I know it's alot colder up your way.

3. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Very cool! Just not sure I could do it.

Later,Bill

4. JF

JF
    from Utah

Awesome, Nice pictures! Nice truck too! :)

20 Degrees? Is spring on the way already? lol

My stepdad used his 56 F100 to plow off the pond in South Dakota so we could Ice skate etc when I was a kid. I think the pond would freeze up to about 2'+ thick.

creepy though when your out there an you can hear the cracking sounds...

5. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

What lake is that?

6. we can walk on water here... can't you?
    no matter our faith or who our 12 fishing companions are ..

spit and freezes before hitting the ground this morning... ahhh the sun shineth today

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Roupe

Roupe

When going out on the ice one must always use a little caution. Some lakes are spring fed or have rivers coming in and out of them which can cause thin spots so knowing the lake your going out on is very important.

8. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

That is too cool......but you have bigger nutts than me!!! Love your truck by the way.........

9. Roupe

Roupe

Lac la belle in Oconomowoc, Wi. 30 miles west of Milwaukee.

A Boner and NoSurf like this.
  10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Reminds me of when we used to build and ride dunebuggys all over northern Michigan. When the Great Lakes freeze over you've got miles of smooth frozen ice to "let 'er rip"..........fun times.

Frank

11. Roupe

Roupe

I have a friend that moved here from South Carolina and he used to be scared to death to walk out on the ice even when it was a foot or two thick. He would hear a noise and run for shore like a scared dog. We would just laugh our asses off.

12. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Sweet picture from the way the ice is cracking looks like the ice is pretty thick.

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Those dry lakes and salt lakes are really overrated, nothing like frozen fresh water...Gotta watch our for pressure cracks at 70MPH:):):)

14. slim tempo

slim tempo

Looks great! My boy and i were out ice fishing today on Coventry Lake, CT. Temp 50 degrees. Caught 1 rainbow, 1 bluegill and an 18" pickerel. nice job.
    How does that thing corner on the ice?

Attached Files:

15. Roupe

Roupe

If you look at the crack real close you can see it is about a foot thick. Six inches will support a car but if you hit a thin spot you may be in trouble. I wait until its about a foot thick before I take a car out for safety.

16. edweird

edweird

20 degrees.....not so bad ? Hell, i bitch when its 40 degrees.

17. Old Gold

Old Gold

Great picture but as a word of caution, when I was 16 I lost my 18 yr old brother doing the very same thing. On a lake, In Michigan. The ice was well over a foot thick.
    Vehicles are replaceable.......lives arent.

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wow! that's freaky. Quick somebody, photoshop Roland Martin in the bed, snaggin' a bass.

19. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Damn that is cool, very brave. Need to add that to the list!

20. That's my friends boat and he's been clocked over 80 mph on that little lake.

You should go on Oconomowoc lake and photograph your truck in front of the Castle and if the owner comes out... his name is Scott... give him a ride!

Pewaukee lake has too many fishermen and fishing holes to be safe.

21. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Cool pics bud. You ice looks pertty clear, mines all punky. Did you get the ice boat out too?

22. man someone has big brass conhonies .... i wouldnt care if the ice was 5 feet thick and i was in a running scrap heap no way in hell would i drive on the ice

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Spent 15 years racing on the ice every winter, 12 inches minimum, never lost a car or had an incident with any through the ice adventures. I recall running about 92 mph with studded tires depending on course length. Lotsa fun real cheap.

[​IMG]

24. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Some of you guys would shit if you saw the ice fishing towns that go up on some of the lakes in the winter. 50 or sometimes 100 or more shantys with either cars, trucks , snowmobiles or atvs parked outside of alot of them.
    Ya have to know the lake your on and know the signs

25. we use to race stock cars on the ice up here but the last couple of years the lake doesn't freeze over until late still doesn't have ice on it yet, we just had two days of 50f weather and to-day it was 38f

26. cheveey57

cheveey57

Gives new meaning to the show "Ice road Truckers"

27. was 70 mph the wheel speed or the truck speed?

28. Roupe

Roupe

Truck speed. The trick is to short shift and lug the motor a little. Feathering the gas the tires will spin some while getting up to speed but if you ez off the gas and let the tires hook up you can get a good speed reading. When I was 18 years old I had a Corvair powered dune buggy that would run 100 mph on the ice. It scared my mom when I'd go flying by the house at a 100 mph.

29. haha.. 70mph wheel speed.. 10mph truck speed

30. Roupe

Roupe

No I didn't, my back was hurting so I'll wait till next weekend to set up the iceboat.