Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too much oil pressure for a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Is there such a thing as too much oil pressure in a flathead?
    In my 8BA, fully warmed up, at freeway speeds (2000 rpm), I'm getting 75 pounds. Thank goodness the oil is staying inside the engine. The oil pump is a Melling. Should I just thank the Flathead Gods and keep driving?

2. Andy

Andy

I would pull the oil pump and put in a new spring. My engine did the same thing and it had a real stiff spring. I think it was an attempt by a previous owner to get oil pressure in worn out engine.

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Is your oil pump a Melling *High Volume* model? If so I would consider installing a *regular* Melling oil pump.........worked for me....same situation...

CB

4. I think I will call Melling and get their take on it.

5. the stock flathead oiling system is a very good design...it takes horsepower to turn any oil pump...especially a high volume/ high pressure oil pump...put a stock oil pump back in and you should be fine....remember that the flathead is horsepower challenged and by going to a stock pump you may even gain a couple of horsepower !!!

6. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Mine runs 50 at speed...

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Keep your oil clean, 75 psi on an old motor has to be jarring a bunch of gunk loose.

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That's a bit much..... The reprint version of the Ford "Green Book" reads "30 psi, when driving 30 mph". No mention, of rpm, though. I use a standard melling in my 8BA, and during run in, it ran up to 45, <30 wt oil> until it warmed up, then settled at around 35.

Happy Flatheadin' !!!!!
    4TTRUK

9. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

I have a EAB engine with a rebuilt stock pump,carries 55 going down the road...