Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Too much of a good thing? Owning multiples of the same car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, Jan 6, 2022.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

When faced with a situation she disagreed with, my Mom would say, "Now why would a guy wanna do that?" This will probably fall under the category of ruffling some feathers, but honestly any more what doesn't around here? I'll try to be polite about this, but here's something I see over and over and just do not get: A bunch of guys get into one make/model/year of car, and buy as many of them as they can. The man with six 1932 Fords. Or '40's. Or whatever, Huppmobiles. One guy in my hometown of Dubuque, Iowa had dozens of '66 Chevelles, another not far away was THE Corvair guy. Whole field with nothing but. Growing up, a mentor was intent on owning as many variations of YELLOW Novas as he could afford. These type of guys know every intimate detail of their chosen thing. They'll tell you they had to get this one because it has the deluxe interior and some weird light group, or whatever. I look around and to me it's like the movie Ground Hog day. I guess my deal is, life is so short, so I want to experience as many different facets to this thing as possible. (Like Jay Leno, but without Millions of Dollars). My 4 old cars are about as diverse as can be. Some people I know can't believe one person can own these disparate cars. Anyways, I suppose It can be rationalized by finding a deal on a second one because someone sees you out in the first, and says, "hey, I know where there's one of those!" So you just gotta buy it. Or maybe it's because you want to not have a diverse pile of spares (only need one spare windshield instead of 10). Ok, makes sense. I dunno. I'm not trying to pick a fight or run the old car hobby, just would like to hear from you guys with sixteen '55 Chevies that KNOW a '57 is pure junk.. Anyways, I know immediately someone has to tell me to go pound sand and stop dictating this show. I'm OK with that. Thoughts?

alanp561 and scotty t like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3 Tri-Fives

Tickety Boo and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Some have a very small window and are very happy with that view

alanp561, Cosmo49, 6sally6 and 9 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I had half a dozen 59ish Chevy trucks at one time. I'm back to just having the first one.

alanp561, Tickety Boo and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. i plan owning quite a few '57 fairlanes in the future, i plan on a stock one, a beater one (likely my current), then a hot rodded two door.

Tickety Boo, 41 coupe and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Segue... I have a friend that has several 59 Impala, El Camino, Sedan Deliver and still is collecting rollers and parts and still looking for the next complete car.

41 GMC K-18 and Jack Wagon like this.
  7. 327Eric

327Eric

I have 2 Henry J's. I should sell one, but I am a hoarder. Also had the same problem with Studebaker's, C10s, 59 Ford's, and 59 El Camino s. They serve no purpose but to take up space, provide a few small parts, and fuel my unachievable dreams, and make me happy.

8. j hansen

j hansen

Not so many,but I have two 3W Coupe Mopars. CarDatabaseNetPhotoID00233003.jpeg IMG_7377.jpeg

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have twenty tee-shirts from the same stripper club that are practically worthless now. It was the "buy the shirt off my back" promotion that did me in, not the actual ownership.

10. That is what makes this hobby so great....everybody is different & if you want to "specialize' in a certain car that is great. Me personally I have everything from 100% bone stock restorations to a full chassis car that can be street driven (barely), from many different car companies & divisions. I love so many different cars & trucks, I feel I would be missing out to just focus on one make/model/ year.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

11. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

This is Gold!

12. Why are you questioning people's desire to own what they want to own? Its their life and their desire, you probably just can't understand it so what does it matter? I own over 30 pocket watches. And I never carry one, its just something I like.
    People are different....thank God.
    Oh, and I used to have 7 66-67 Fairlanes just cause I love em'.

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For Americans, this is, for the time being, still a free country, and you can do what you want with your money. That being said, if I had the money, I like too many different kinds of cars to get multiples of the same thing.

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is going to be an interesting thread to see the variety of responses that will be posted here. I have a slightly different take on this topic. Growing up, my dad had a wrecking yard, so that was where the bug bit me about the old cars and trucks and all things mechanical.

You can take a look at my profile page to see how out of hand this can get. I posted these two photos to just hopefully bring a smile to those that can understand this realm of owning a bunch of cool cars and trucks.

My motivation is a bit different these days, we are selling our house in Seattle and relocating over to Port Townsend, and it was time to liquidate and clear the property. Fortunately, a couple of my HAMB friends now own some of the vehicles and some of the other cool stuff I had collected over the years.

There is a saying about owning a boat, " the two happiest days of owning a boat are, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it " I know it well, been there did that !

So for a proper title of these two pictures, " Full driveway, and Empty driveway "

There is nothing wrong with having multiples of the same thing.
    I totally enjoyed the recent thread by @Hemi Joel about when he drove his dads Corvair back across country, and his dad had about a dozen Corvair's on the property. Instant stash of extra parts for the trip!

driveway line up.JPG empty driveway.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have five 65 Galaxies! And 12 OT bump,dent Ford side trucks.

Bones

16. alchemy

alchemy

I have a '32 tudor.

Goodguys-29th-Heartland-Nationals-8-of-119.jpg

I have a few other '32 projects of other body styles. That is really common with '32 guys, they have more than one. But I'd like to build another tudor some day too. The next one would be a chopped highboy.

17. I'm not sure why it would matter to anyone else why a person would have 12 cars all the same or 12 cars that were completely different from each other.

Shouldn't we do what makes us happy rather than do what makes someone else happy? I'll do me, you do you, sort of thing.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Hello, send me over some more denim jeans and shirts"

upload_2022-1-6_9-49-48.jpeg

19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It only makes $ense when you're putting cars together to have multiples of the same year model sitting around. And once you've had a couple they start finding you.

20. finn

finn

Two 36 Ford pickups, and a five window. Maybe I’ll finish the first truck someday, but at this rate, I’ll have to live to 150 at least to finish all three.

Guess the muscle car, Falcon, and ‘60 pickup will have to wait until I’m 200.

At least I am realistic about it.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. I have multiple cars with multiple engines ,the overflow of parts is maddening at times, sometimes I wish they were all the same (at least make) v8 60's ,390 fe ,250 Pontiac OHC, 401 buick , 21 stud flathead model t 4 cyl. and parts for all . All in cars and running.
    Need another shop just for engines and parts .
    Dont get me started on body parts !!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  22. You can't explain it to someone that doesn't have the disease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I owned all 3 at the same time they were all 32's but they were different body styles, I have owned 7 more 32's over the years, I have a thing for Deuces.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have never owned more than one of a kind at one time with the exception of when I had a V8 Vega and two parts cars. Only reason then was I got all of them in a swap deal. They left just like they came, on a trailer, not running.

Older stuff, just not that much left around here that hasn’t already been built or isn’t in somebody’s hands with plans for them.

24. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm a hobby junky even outside cars. I own one hot rod at the moment, but 3 other cars, 4 boats (2 vintage and a ton of work), snowmobiles, countless vintage outboards. And that's not counting instruments (of which I have enough to fill a large bedroom), recording gear, microphones, hardware, dedicated computer, etc.

My other hobbies can all be pretty expensive, but I've stockpiled all the stuff over time of course, I'm not rich.

I'd like another hot rod some day, but I don't know.... For me, one is enough. For now.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Johnny Johnny Johnny.
    That is perfect!
    Now I need to clean the coffee (with creamer) off my keyboard.

26. indyjps

indyjps

There's definitely a parts swapping efficiency standpoint. I can see owning 2 of same car, and building another to sell with the extra parts that you have on hand. Then.....well, Yeah, you like that one too.
    All right you talked me into it, owning multiples makes sense.

27. indyjps

indyjps

A manager I worked for in operations always wore black pants and a blue Oxford. We asked him about it one day, said he buys them a dozen at a time, same brand, same size. Makes perfect sense.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:confused: until I looked up "blue Oxford" (shirt). The only blue shoe I knew of were suede ones.

desotot and indyjps like this.
  29. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I knew there would have to be a bunch of you guys out there! You're right, it does make for an interesting place. Don't think that I'm all snobby about it, hell, one of my best friends can not seem to get past buying every Chevette he sees! I even found one for him! I think he has 7 or 8 now, zero operational.

30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Wow.
    It gets kind of weird there at the end of your post. I don't know if you want to talk about why somebody would have multiple cars of the same type or if want somebody to knock the battery off your shoulder.

[​IMG]

I could care less how somebody spends their money. This ain't Russia...yet.

As said, when you own a type of car, others start coming out of the woodwork.
    " Hey there's car just like this in my buddy's garage"
    You get one, you find others. You are familiar with them, and you have extra parts.
    The days of the junkyard full of parts are over. That ship has pulled up the anchor and sailed away. If you have the space, get 'em while you can...if you can.