Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too much for a beginner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtaylo78, Jun 1, 2011.

1. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

So I have wanted to learn how to build old vehicles since I can remember.

Picked up a cheap 59 f100 needs new floors, cab support braces, rear cab corners etc. I wanted to learn how to do this rust repair, but is it too much for a beginner? Your opinions are appreciated.

here are some photos thanks.

Attached Files:

2. do you have a welder?
    do you know how to weld?
    the think i find the most expensice about a cheap project is that it takes alot of money in tools and alot of time to make nice.
    is it too much for a beginner...no, but you better have some time and tools
    tk

3. Your in deep for a beginner on the structural side. Do you have access to all the tools needed? Maybe pull the bed off and build your own custom bed. Really depends on how far you want to take it. Daily driver?

4. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

I know I will need to get the tools, will be buying them and borrowing them.

Also will be taking some welding classes and possible auto body repair class local CC.

Yes I would like to make it a daily driver not looking for a show truck just want to learn.

5. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Yes, waaay to much for a beginner. I suggest you give it to me.

6. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

fts55.. sure let me know where to ship it.

7. el shad

el shad

The only difference between you and the guys that are doing it themselves is that you haven't tried to do it yet.

**If you have the proper tools**

8. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

I like it el shad.. It can be a little intimidating learning something new like this.

9. el shad

el shad

Right, but what the hell is worth doing in this world if it's easy? If this shit was easy EVERYONE would be doing it. Get those hands dirty.

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may seem like a daunting task but if you tackle things methodically and with a plan and end goal it will all come together in the end.....just remember " small bites"......work on one section at a time and complete it before moving on....cab mounts and stuff you don't see first, get everything lined up and working , sheet metal and bodywork, mechanicals , interior , paint and assembly....don't be in a rush...oh, make sure you have fun and have lots of bandaids on hand.

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Is it a driver now?? I would spend the time to redo the steering components, shocks, brakes, bearings before even considering anything else. That is if the engine/transmission/rear axle all work ok.

That way you have a safe reliable driver to tool around in. The body took 50 years to get that way. You can take your time turning it around a little at a time.

Make it safe and reliable first. You won't regret it.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Well I think its better to start on cab supports and floors to get the feel for it before you move on to 1/4 panels etc. We all had to start on something. Just take your time and get a good fit before you attempt to weld it up. 1 piece at a time and pretty soon there won't be anything left to repair. There are a ton of posts on repair panels on the HAMB. Soak up all the knowledge that you can. It ain't rocket science. Go for it.

13. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

Thanks el_shad I agree.

Jethro, thanks for that.

redline, I am working on getting it to be a driver it runs but rough has a little 223 in it, will be checking everything you mention, brakes shocks etc.

Tommy thanks for the input, that makes sense to me. Cab support and floors then the other parts of the body.

14. That's a good project to start with. I suggest you take some type of welding/auto shop courseand practice what you learn on the 59, that's what I did. I was lucky to have a BOSCE shop teacher on a one to one basis.
    Good luck. Just remember practice, practice, practice, practice.........................LOL

15. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

if you do what redlinetoys said you wont regret it. make it reliable and safe and ahve some fun driving it. ive seen alot of people dissasemble cars and lose intrest or get frustrated and never get them back together instead of just making them reliable and safe and just driving them.

16. It's a big job for a beginner but you have the right attitude. I think your best course of action is to mark out one area that needs fixing. When you've done that move on to the next bit, etc. Do not strip the whole thing down and try to do it all as one job. That is the overwhelming scenario that many beginners find themselves in, they get disheartened by the size of the project and sell it off cheap. Stick with it, you'll learn heaps, and you'll end up with a cool ride.

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

just go for it, if you like old cars, you got to do some of the work yourself, or you will break the bank

18. oj

oj

All of us were beginners at some point, some of us still are - but thats another story. The stuff you want to fix is made from steel - you cannot fuck that part up. You might drive yourself and others nuts trying to fix it; you will screw up a ton of welds; you will spend 10hrs trying to do what should take 10 minutes; the finished surface will have more lumps, gouges, pits, hammerhead marks and dips than a west virginia strip mine - but in the end it will still be steel! And if you don't like it then you can do it over. So have at it. Sometimes just being stoopid is a blessing, if you really knew what you were getting into you'd never start. We all have that disease.

19. trad27

trad27

Who cares if you mess that truck up as long as you learn and build the next one better. How else are you going to learn, at least its not like you are learning on a '32 3 window. when I was 15 I bought a '63 bug for $40 and choped the top 8 inches lowered it took the fenders off and had a blast. Yeah that bug was junk after I got done with it but I learned alot and have saved alot of other cars and done them justice in my opinion from the experence I got from that bug. Being too scared or overwhelmed to learn is worse than jumping two feet in and messing something up.

20. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

Thanks everyone for taking the time. It is appreciated I know it will be a ton of work, but I like doing things outside of my comfort zone. I am going to continue forward and ask lots of question. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too crazy like my wife always says I am. Might start a build thread to keep track of everything.

21. My best advice is pretty close to what redline said - my old impala was a basket case when I got it took 3 year to restore but worth every minute of it. It had more rot than a bag of 10 month old oranges. Make the drive train solid first then you have a project you can drive and work on at the same time. In my opinion paints the last thing I'd worry about- you may be able to find replacement floor boards online - I've never looked for this kinda truck. Good luck - first builds are always rocky but hey it adds more fun

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

23. Thats a nice project - got to start somewhere. Plenty help here on the HAMB. Friend of mine has one like that. Kinda rough but its fixable. GO FOR IT!

24. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'm with redline toys, don't worry about anything before you get the drivetrain and brakes working right. If it's a daily drive especially.

25. If you really want it, you can do it!
    Your already on here, that was the biggest step!

26. jtaylo78

jtaylo78
    from Cheyenne

Thanks everyone - I will stick with redline's advice, get her safe and a driver, then move onto the cab and floor.

LM14 - Thanks for posting those images I have been through them a few times. They gave me motivation to attempt this project. Looks like you did a nice job on those repairs.

This forum is active, it's great."

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Got to start with something, have someone who has done this kind of work help if possible. We had a night class at the local, JUCO for autobody and you could bring your project in and use their equipment with the help from the instructor, might see if there is anything available around there.

28. clockwork31

clockwork31

Hey, take a look at this thread called "rookie Level' there is plenty of good advices and just like you I'm at my first project and I have learned a lot just to hang out with old school hot rodders and ask all your question here when your not sure! Never give up .

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561399

29. shocker998md

shocker998md

Go for it man, Ive been learning body work on a 66 F100. If you screw up bad its only a pick up.

30. keithreid

keithreid

Look at it this way, when you get done you won't be a beginner anymore! You'll also have a shop full of tools, although you probably never will have all the tools you "need." There's always another tool that it would be nice to have, but also ways to work around not having them.
    good luck with your project, Keith